How to Maintain Top 5%?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby Mce252 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:05 pm

My plan for next semester (I came out #1 last semester):

1. Read and brief every case (not for content but because its really important to help me stay engaged during class, which does produce exam content)
2. Outline and review every Saturday
3. Work 7 days a week as soon as I'm 7 weeks out from the first exam.

LawMan20
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby LawMan20 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:51 pm

Mce252 wrote:My plan for next semester (I came out #1 last semester):

1. Read and brief every case (not for content but because its really important to help me stay engaged during class, which does produce exam content)
2. Outline and review every Saturday
3. Work 7 days a week as soon as I'm 7 weeks out from the first exam.


This pretty much sums up what I did last semester, and I came out #1 as well.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11785
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:02 pm

this thread is relevant to my interests.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:09 pm

I'm a little jealous of you #1ers. I may start briefing...

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11785
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:12 pm

NYC Law wrote:I'm a little jealous of you #1ers. I may start briefing...

I might try to start turning off my internet during class. These past two weeks I've had the hardest time ever paying attention.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:15 pm

ilovesf wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I'm a little jealous of you #1ers. I may start briefing...

I might try to start turning off my internet during class. These past two weeks I've had the hardest time ever paying attention.


I've never been too distracted by the internet in class surprisingly. I thought I would be since I get distracted so easily.
At home is a different story. I'm finishing up next weeks reading now, but I keep refreshing TLS every 5 mins. In 3 hours I've read like 10 pages.

ETA: I haven't even read 10, I've read 8.

kublaikahn
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:47 am

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby kublaikahn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:25 pm

LawMan20 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:My plan for next semester (I came out #1 last semester):

1. Read and brief every case (not for content but because its really important to help me stay engaged during class, which does produce exam content)
1.5 Define possible arguments for why the court got it wrong it each of your briefs. (before you go to class)
2. Outline and review every Saturday (make your outline issue-oriented not rule-oriented)
3. Work 7 6 days a week as soon as I'm 7 weeks out from the first exam and do not party at all.


This pretty much sums up what I did last semester, and I came out #1 as well.


My 2 cents.

LawMan20
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby LawMan20 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:29 pm

NYC Law wrote:I'm a little jealous of you #1ers. I may start briefing...


I actually don't "brief". I just have a huge word document that I take notes in while I'm reading each case. I just type the case name, a very short statement of facts, and whatever rules/other important stuff I find in the case. As the poster mentioned above, I do it mainly so paying attention in class and keeping up with the prof is easier.

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby alicrimson » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:00 pm

Good thread. Thanks for posting. I know I'm part of the "I feel lucky" crowd. I think this feeling is more common then expected. I know I plan on tweaking my studies a little bit but nothing major. ADHD meds, reading, notes while reading, class notes, paying attention in class, reviewing upperclassman outlines as I go, supplement, and read practice tests. I plan on taking Saturdays off (we have Fridays off) until the last two months before exams. I'm hoping this strategy works for take home exams also.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:19 pm

At least all of my grades were fairly clumped together. I think I'd be a little more nervous if I got an A+ then several B/B+s

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby bceagles182 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:28 pm

I'm actually not at BC. My username is from my undergrad. I'm actually at BU, but I transferred here from a T2 because I wanted to practice in Boston.

At my old school, there were 87 per section. If you were top 10%, you graded onto LR. So I knew exactly who was in the top 10% at the end of the year. There were 9 of us.

JewishFightClub
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby JewishFightClub » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:22 pm

I love TLS, I'm in Top 10% and after reading this thread feel wholly inadequate. But I'm also nursing a hangover so...

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12549
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby jessuf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:04 pm

i spend all of my classes on sporcle and used legal brief books for cases. i will continue to do just that. meh.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:05 pm

Got a shit grade on my memo for LRW. We still have 65% of the grade left for LRW, but it'll take a miracle for me to even get a B+ in the class. I don't think I'll be able to maintain top 5%. ... I feel pretty upset about all this, it was fun while it lasted. Def shooting Chicago an ED app though.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12549
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby jessuf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:06 pm

bceagles182 wrote:I'm actually not at BC. My username is from my undergrad. I'm actually at BU, but I transferred here from a T2 because I wanted to practice in Boston.

At my old school, there were 87 per section. If you were top 10%, you graded onto LR. So I knew exactly who was in the top 10% at the end of the year. There were 9 of us.


How many sections? That seems like such a small number of people for top 10%. There are 28 1Ls in the top 10% at my school. Grade-on for law review here is top 2%, which is probably 5 people.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11785
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:07 pm

NYC Law wrote:Got a shit grade on my memo for LRW. We still have 65% of the grade left for LRW, but it'll take a miracle for me to even get a B+ in the class. I don't think I'll be able to maintain top 5%. ... I feel pretty upset about all this, it was fun while it lasted. Def shooting Chicago an ED app though.

Sorry :( LWR really blows.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby bceagles182 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Jessuf wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:I'm actually not at BC. My username is from my undergrad. I'm actually at BU, but I transferred here from a T2 because I wanted to practice in Boston.

At my old school, there were 87 per section. If you were top 10%, you graded onto LR. So I knew exactly who was in the top 10% at the end of the year. There were 9 of us.


How many sections? That seems like such a small number of people for top 10%. There are 28 1Ls in the top 10% at my school. Grade-on for law review here is top 2%, which is probably 5 people.


There were 3 sections of 87. I meant that there were 9 from my section of 87 that graded on. 9/87 = 10.3%. LR took something like 35 students overall (including 5 or so from the writing competition), and a few (like myself) transferred out.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby Lasers » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:49 am

damn, i'm definitely not doing enough compared to some of you guys.

time to step it up. :shock:

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby RVP11 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:17 am

*is top 5% but needs the Internet to tell him that the keys to future good grades are the habits and choices that got him good grades in the past*

*goes on Internet message board to pat self on back with the assistance of other top 5%ers*

*does the exact same thing in spring semester that he intended to do in the first place*




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: baileymjd, LawHammer, MSNbot Media, wg6524 and 11 guests