How to Maintain Top 5%?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
.375 H&H Mag.

How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby .375 H&H Mag. » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:39 am

Last edited by .375 H&H Mag. on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYC Law

Re: How to Maintain Top 5%?

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:42 am

Relevant to my interests.

(And I feel the EXACT same way, I feel like I got lucky and I'm nervous as hell)

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:43 am

Count me in the "I feel like I got lucky" crowd. I have no idea what exactly I did so effectively last semester, and I'm worried everyone is going to figure out the really simple stuff I did do.

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:44 am

"Do what you did, only push yourself harder. Don't re-invent the wheel. Just make it better."

This was the advice a top 5% 2L at my school told me.

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:46 am

Also, hope that the people above you slack off (which a lot will) and fall out. Then you may be top 2.5%.

I'm hoping this happens so I can parlay my top 10-15% into top 5%.

.375 H&H Mag.

Postby .375 H&H Mag. » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:55 am

NYC Law wrote:(And I feel the EXACT same way, I feel like I got lucky and I'm nervous as hell)

Sounds like we're looking at this pretty similarly. Probably why I jumped on your "EA transfer as a backup" thread.

.375 H&H Mag.

Postby .375 H&H Mag. » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:58 am

joncrooshal wrote:"Do what you did, only push yourself harder. Don't re-invent the wheel. Just make it better."

This seems like good advice, and even though I felt like I did everything humanly possible to ensure the outcome, I imagine I'll be more efficient this semester based on experience alone, and hopefully that will translate into being able to push myself harder.

TempleU555555

Postby TempleU555555 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:00 am

Sidetracking, but what did you guys do to get the top 5%?

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:03 am

.375 H&H Mag. wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:"Do what you did, only push yourself harder. Don't re-invent the wheel. Just make it better."

This seems like good advice, and even though I felt like I did everything humanly possible to ensure the outcome, I imagine I'll be more efficient this semester based on experience alone, and hopefully that will translate into being able to push myself harder.

Same here. I honestly got top 10-15% without even working that hard. I felt like I'd end up around 33% or so when all was said and done and just up it all next semester. By getting where I was without putting all that much work into it, I think I can do far better next semester. Everyone I studied with is top 10-15% (with one guy probably top 1%). So we all worked off of each other.

Study groups are a waste of time unless you are in a group with elite students, IMHO. I am glad to have found a good one.

rjl

Postby rjl » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:07 am

Based on my experience, if you maintain the same work level as you did your first semester, your grades will improve. The majority of law students come out of the gate sprinting and then tire out as the marathon goes on. Let them.

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:08 am

TempleU555555 wrote:Sidetracking, but what did you guys do to get the top 5%?

Depends on the student.

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:10 am

rjl wrote:Based on my experience, if you maintain the same work level as you did your first semester, your grades will improve. The majority of law students come out of the gate sprinting and then tire out as the marathon goes on. Let them.

Good to hear. :twisted:

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:19 am

joncrooshal wrote:
.375 H&H Mag. wrote:

Same here. I honestly got top 10-15% without even working that hard. I felt like I'd end up around 33% or so when all was said and done and just up it all next semester. By getting where I was without putting all that much work into it, I think I can do far better next semester. Everyone I studied with is top 10-15% (with one guy probably top 1%). So we all worked off of each other.

Study groups are a waste of time unless you are in a group with elite students, IMHO. I am glad to have found a good one.

Same here. I didn't do much all semester, followed the old plan of just doing the readings and paying attention in class, and studied old outlines during review week. Thought it was a very high possibility I'd end up below median and have to contemplate dropping out. Not sure how I got here, but I'm not complaining. I think I am going to do basically the same thing but just work a little harder like your quote suggests - Still just read and pay attention in class, but hopefully work in some outlining on weekends and more hypos/practice tests sooner.

.375 H&H Mag.

Postby .375 H&H Mag. » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:34 am

TempleU555555 wrote:Sidetracking, but what did you guys do to get the top 5%?

A little different from the other posters, I followed xeoh's thread (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118545) to the minute detail. I just felt like I couldn't leave anything to chance, so I worked about 60 hours a week and took Sundays off. Everyone I know who worked as hard as I did or harder did as well or better.
So I'll definitely be pushing myself to squeeze more hours out of the week and get more efficient somehow.
It's a brutal approach, but I'm in a decent spot now with no regrets.

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:58 am

edit
Last edited by 23402385985 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:05 am

edit
Last edited by 23402385985 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:24 am

Guys, I know it's tough but you need to realize that the vast majority of you are just being paranoid. If you are in the top of your class, then you are there for a reason. Do what you did last semester and everything will be fine. We all have our own methods, and you've obviously already found what works well for you.

I have felt "lucky" when I saw my grades every semester so far, and I'm halfway through 2L. Law school is designed to make you feel uncomfortable, so get used to it.

I went from top 10% first semester --> top 7% second semester.
I had five friends from my section in the top 10% first semester and they all ended up in the top 10%.
In fact, I've only heard of one person who fell out of the top 10%, and it was because she changed her approach.

Take a deep breath of relief. Realize that you are good at this. And keep up the effort for one more semester.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:28 am

bceagles182 wrote:Guys, I know it's tough but you need to realize that the vast majority of you are just being paranoid. If you are in the top of your class, then you are there for a reason. Do what you did last semester and everything will be fine. We all have our own methods, and you've obviously already found what works well for you.

I have felt "lucky" when I saw my grades every semester so far, and I'm halfway through 2L. Law school is designed to make you feel uncomfortable, so get used to it.

I had five friends from my section in the top 10% first semester and they all ended up in the top 10%.
In fact, I've only heard of one person who fell out of the top 10%, and it was because she changed her approach.

Take a deep breath of relief. Realize that you are good at this. And keep up the effort for one more semester.

Very encouraging, thanks!

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:53 am

I feel nervous as well. Mainly because last semester's courses naturally spoke to my inherent skills. I'm really good at identifying black letter law. I feel like this semester is much more philosophical (like con law and crim law). Also nervous that I'll drop in the rankings because we have more classes, so you can put less effort into each class (I know this applies to everyone else as well, but it worries me).

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:24 am

bceagles182 wrote:Guys, I know it's tough but you need to realize that the vast majority of you are just being paranoid. If you are in the top of your class, then you are there for a reason. Do what you did last semester and everything will be fine. We all have our own methods, and you've obviously already found what works well for you.

I'm going to have to disagree with you a bit there. I was top 10% after first semester and dropped significantly second semester with the same approach. In my case I think things just naturally clicked for me first semester so I did well without a lot of work. So I tried the same approach the next semester and was basically a median student. If you got good grades first semester yet you feel like you were coasting, I would suggest stepping up your prep methods a bit.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:25 pm

More encouragement from Arrow at least -

Arrow wrote:If you had spectacular knock-em dead grades first semester, you will likely get similar grades second semester. I have actually never heard of anyone getting top grades 1st semester, then getting average grades 2nd semester (though I am sure it is possible). Basically, once you “get it” and understand how to succeed on law school exams, it stays with you.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:33 pm

there is no answer to this - for the same reason there is no real answer for how to do well your first year of law school. some people outline from day 1, take excellent notes, review each lecture after class, study 10 hours a day during finals, and still get median grades. i had one friend who did that - killed it first semester with straight As, only to completely bomb second semester. when i asked him if he burned out or felt overwhelmed, his plain answer was he just didn't know take as well to the material second semester as he did the first semester. i myself had a successful first year and i think it was a good mix of putting in a strong effort while keeping things in perspective. i did decently my first semester but really killed it second semester. relaxing and staying fresh kept me personally in a great mind set and i felt confident going in to each final.

asking these types of questions really comes off as subtle bragging. congratulations on doing well. the best answer you're going to get is either you've "got it" or you got "lucky." if you've got it, you should be fine. if not, well, at least you did well first semester.
Last edited by DrGuano on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Lol your circle of friends must have been the cream of the crop.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:48 pm

johansantana21 wrote:

I guess. I knew plenty of median students too. I hung out with people that were somewhat normal and who didn't say things that annoyed me in class. That narrowed things down quite a bit.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:49 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:

I guess. I knew plenty of median students too. I hung out with people that were somewhat normal and who didn't say things that annoyed me in class. That narrowed things down quite a bit.

How big are sections at BC anyways?

If you knew 5 people from your section who were top 10%+yourself, that's already 6 people in your section that's in the top 10%.

Maybe you guys had a really smart section?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”