What is best to do over the summer?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Link4prez

What is best to do over the summer?

Postby Link4prez » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Hey TLS, I just got my last grade in today and am now going to focus on securing a good summer internship. I got to a school ranked in the upper half of the 2nd tier. We have a median of 3.0 and I managed to get a 3.82 (I don't know my rank however.) Up until this point I had not given serious thought as to what I would do with my summer and decided to wait until I got grades in to decide what was possible. I was wondering what kind of 1L internships/externships look the best in terms of getting a fairly well paying job out of law school. I have been giving serious consideration to taking a congressional internship in D.C. but would that be looked down upon as something I should have done in undergrad? Ultimately, I'm just looking for advice on what type of internship/externship you guys think would be the most beneficial/realistic. I also wanted to thank all those who gave advice to us 1Ls before the year started, a lot of that advice proved invaluable during my first semester.

jessuf

Re: What is best to do over the summer?

Postby jessuf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Do something legal.

Also, I have the same exact GPA as you, my school has the same median, and my rank is 1%, so your rank is probably pretty great. I would start mass mailing firms immediately (and judges, PI, etc. if those interest you) in case there are spots left open for 1Ls.

Finally, you should check out the giant 1L summer thread.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:13 pm

Unless you want to be prez........ in which case, do a congressional internship? Not sure what that entails exactly. I just know my friends who work in Congress hate their lives.

Link4prez

Postby Link4prez » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:22 pm

I'm not quite sure what a congressional internship would entail either, I'm just very interested in politics. I plan on sending out a lot of applications anyway just to cover my bases, I'm just trying to decide what would be the most beneficial.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:33 pm

I would check out maybe the Leg Counsel? They're the ones that write legislation. That might be your best bet for something legal... not sure.

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:25 am

I've interned in Congress and held jobs related to the legislature before.

Do you want to work on the Hill after you finish law school? If not, I think that as a law student there will be very little value in working for a member of Congress. The only possible exceptions I can think of are working with the House or Senate Judiciary Committee or maybe the House Committee on Ways and Means or Senate Finance (especially if you are interested in taxation). Bear in mind that both chambers usually take a summer recess so there is much less happening in the summer, especially in August. This will be doubly true because this is a campaign year, so they are inclined to take longer recesses so they have more time to spend in their districts. If you do want to work on the Hill after you finish law school, I'd try to see if there is any way you could do an internship during the academic year instead when there is more action.

Legislative Counsel are the people who would be writing legislation, but many of them don't actually write any bills because the members they work for are not very active in introducing legislation. Even if they do, it isn't all that difficult to write a bill unless it's something like the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or Dodd-Frank. I don't foresee any major bills like that coming up this summer. Also, I think that the structure in most member offices is not legal interns who work with the leg counsel vs. general interns. Pretty much everyone sorts mail and writes letters to constituents and maybe once in a while gets to do something cooler than that.

Other factors to consider: DC weather is disgusting in the summer, and the Hill is teeming with obnoxious undergrad interns.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm in the same kind of boat, but have no interest in doing what OP wants to do. I want to get paid, but my adviser thinks it's in my best interest to do a judicial externship with one of the federal judges up here (there are plenty). Don't know what to do...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”