4.0 at Top 25 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
anonymity_

New

4.0 at Top 25

Post by anonymity_ » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Hey everyone,

Just got my grades and they ended up being beyond my wildest dreams. Ended up with: A+, A, A, and an A-(on a 3.0-3.3 curve). I haven't even had time to fully comprehend my situation and certainly hadn't anticipated being here. Where does this put me? Top 10%? Top 5%? Top 5?

I'm also wondering what I should do at this point (besides fighting any feelings of complacency). My school's in a pretty decent legal market. Am I a shoe-in for 'big law?' What about this summer? Is it worth applying to large firms in an attempt to nab myself a cherished 1L SA?

What about transferring? I've never considered the possibility, until now. I like where I'm at, but what kind of chances would I have for transferring to HYS? Is it worth it if my ultimate plan is settling down in the region I currently reside?

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JustE

Silver

Re: 4.0 at Top 25

Post by JustE » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:15 pm

anonymity_ wrote:Hey everyone,

Just got my grades and they ended up being beyond my wildest dreams. Ended up with: A+, A, A, and an A-(on a 3.0-3.3 curve). I haven't even had time to fully comprehend my situation and certainly hadn't anticipated being here. Where does this put me? Top 10%? Top 5%? Top 5?

I'm also wondering what I should do at this point (besides fighting any feelings of complacency). My school's in a pretty decent legal market. Am I a shoe-in for 'big law?' What about this summer? Is it worth applying to large firms in an attempt to nab myself a cherished 1L SA?

What about transferring? I've never considered the possibility, until now. I like where I'm at, but what kind of chances would I have for transferring to HYS? Is it worth it if my ultimate plan is settling down in the region I currently reside?

Can you pull it off again? If so, enjoy HYS.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:18 pm

anonymity_ wrote:Am I a shoe-in for 'big law?' What about this summer? Is it worth applying to large firms in an attempt to nab myself a cherished 1L SA?
Nobody is a shoe-in for big law, even people with better grades at better schools. Good grades can inflate a law student's head, and egos can be fatal to career prospects. You do have much better odds than people who have worse grades (assuming you keep them up).

As for 1L positions, it again puts you in a better spot than people who aren't sitting on a 4.0, but it's hard from guaranteed. Most 1L positions are reserved for nepotism, regional ties, diversity programs, etc. Relatively few are straight up GPA shooting matches, but certainly there are some so it's worth a shot. Just don't set your expectations too high and make sure you move quickly if you do want to apply.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:57 am

If you're not an asshat and you keep your grades up second semester, then yes, you're a shoe-in for biglaw.

There are tons of threads on transferring here, so I'm gonna let you peruse the possibilities after using the search function.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Haha. I love the underlying bitterness in the responses above. Assuming this isn't a flame, good work man.

I suppose it depends on how many A+s are given out but I'd imagine that you're top 1% in your class.

You're a shoe-in to get big law interviews, and should get a position as long as you don't screw up them up.

If you maintain top 1% and want to transfer, you should get HYS.

Good luck next semester, and please take the above responses as a warning that you can't tell anyone in your class about your grades unless you want them to hate you.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:01 pm

go gophers

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”