Making friends with D-bag law students Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nsbane

Bronze

Re: Making friends with D-bag law students

Post by nsbane » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:18 pm

deebs wrote:Find the people who like to drink beer and used to play counter-strike/starcraft/N64. Ask said people if they'd like to drink beer and play some smash bro's. Then you've got smashed bro's, playing smash bro's, and that equals a good time.

If you're a girl, IDK, in your situation I'd try to hang out with the married girls which entails dinner parties I'd imagine.
tupperware parties. that's what you need to be organizing right now. then you will have so many friends you will never need a food storage container again.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:49 pm

I think the irregardless conversation is why OP hates law students.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:56 pm

superhands wrote:
A word used by uneducated people intending to sound intelligent. Often, the defendant will use this word in court in an attempt to impress the judge and jury. Educated people notice and those who use this word instantly identify themselves to educated people as being uneducated. Educated people rarely correct them because it helps educated people more easily identify them if they are well-groomed.
For all intensive purposes, you knew what he meant by irregardless.
--ImageRemoved--

gavinstevens

Bronze

Post by gavinstevens » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:47 pm

eandy wrote:I legitimately love my class. We all get along really, really well. I feel pretty lucky.
What school is this?

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:00 pm

superhands wrote:I too don't really socialize with my fellow 1Ls either. Not because I'm married, or think that they are a bunch of douche bags. In fact, they are quite a nice bunch. I just fear that if I ask someone to hang out they will say no.
similar

i have an intense fear that people say negative things about me behind my back after i hang out with them/have a conversation with them so i tend to avoid socializing or even speaking to people. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:24 pm

dreakol wrote:
superhands wrote:I too don't really socialize with my fellow 1Ls either. Not because I'm married, or think that they are a bunch of douche bags. In fact, they are quite a nice bunch. I just fear that if I ask someone to hang out they will say no.
similar

i have an intense fear that people say negative things about me behind my back after i hang out with them/have a conversation with them so i tend to avoid socializing or even speaking to people. :(
This. Everyone in my class talks shit and gossips about everyone else, which is why I pretty much avoid everyone. Which is part of a vicious circle since my avoidance prob makes them talk more negatively about me. Whatever.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:28 pm

NYC Law wrote:
dreakol wrote:
similar

This. Everyone in my class talks shit and gossips about everyone else, which is why I pretty much avoid everyone. Which is part of a vicious circle since my avoidance prob makes them talk more negatively about me. Whatever.
They probably think you are bottom 5% of the class when it's the opposite.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:30 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
dreakol wrote:
similar

They probably think you are bottom 5% of the class when it's the opposite.
Probably. I'm pretty quiet IRL. People tend to mistake quietness for stupidity.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:37 pm

NYC Law wrote:People tend to mistake quietness for stupidity.
I think they do this in law school because they seem to tie knowledge with willingness and confidence to speak in class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:43 pm

Sounds like a student body with a healthy appetite for sex. I don't see the problem.

HookemHooker

New

Post by HookemHooker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:03 am

This thread made me FLMAO. OP, I am in the exact boat except replace sex with gossip. I asked for advice from some friends who graduated. All of them said that a summer reboot and the self-selection that goes with 2/3L courses will do miracles in the friends department. Just focus on your classes and avoiding the herp. Law school is 3 years of what will be a long and prosperous life.

buchy2009

Bronze

Post by buchy2009 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:06 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
LawMan20 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
LawMan20 wrote:Irregardless 8)
...? :?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless
Having just moved from Indiana, I'm not surprised it originated there...

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:22 am

NYC Law wrote:
dreakol wrote:
similar

I think more people feel like this then they might let on in law school...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:24 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:I think they do this in law school because they seem to tie knowledge with willingness and confidence to speak in class.
These people are reviled, not revered for their intelligence.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:34 am

Rikkugrrl wrote:I haven't posted on here in a long time, not since I was a 0L. Now I'm back with a question: Does anyone on here really, REALLY hate their class?

I hate them. All of them. They are the biggest bunch of douchebags I've ever had the displeasure of being stuck with all day 5 days a week. I have not found one person who does not get on my every last nerve. For the first few months of 1L year, I tried to make some friends since I was new in the area and didn't know anyone. I found a group of 6 or so other 1Ls that seemed nice enough and for awhile things went well. But soon after, they started coupling off and that's when the shit hit the fan. It felt like a friggin LSAT problem. A dated B, then broke it off with B to bone C, and C broke it off with A to bone D, who was just starting to bone B. Oh and C and B knew each other before law school and were good friends, and B has no idea that C was boning A while A was boning B. And since I'm the only one in a relationship outside the group with no stake in their love octagons, EVERYONE wants to talk to me about their romantic problems. I followed my boyfriend's advice and stayed the fuck out of it all, but now everyone in that group is pissed at each other and pissed at me for not taking sides and only wants to talk about how much they hate each other. So I'm staying away from them until (I hope) they come to their senses and stop fucking each other.

Meanwhile, everyone else in my section is either a gunner or married with kids and no interest in making friends. Just got an email from one of the gunners sent to our entire section because BEING LATE TO CLASS IS DISRESPECTFUL OMG and that's typical behavior for them. I've tried to talk to other people this semester, trying to branch out a bit from the incest group, but so far I've found A. a bunch of sorority girls who came straight from college and are clones of the mean girls I knew from high school ("there's this guy sitting next to me in Property that farted, that is SO DISGUSTING, I need to ask the Prof if I can change seats"), B. guys that just want to hit on anything that moves (one of them is sitting across from me in the lobby talking about the "girl with the messed up face" that he's banging along with four other girls).

For the tl;dr crowd: I like the school and the professors and the material, but I'm only a little over one semester in and I'm already actively seeking to spend most of my time either with my boyfriend or alone to get away from every A-hole in my section. And yeah yeah I know complaining about all this probably makes me one of those A-holes, but I'm getting really discouraged because this is the first time I've been to a school/job where I haven't been able to find anyone I like and want to hang out with. Has anyone else been in this situation? What did you do?
Considerate poster, this one is.

Also, that gunner email about disrespect in the form of tardiness is probs. the most hardcore thing I've seen since getting back to school. @ NYC Law, I lol'd as well.

Keep being friendly, and you'll meet someone.

On the other hand, it's not so bad not to have 'friends' if you can do without them. I don't have any 1L "friends" here at CLS, yet. I made a bunch of 2L/3L friends through student groups and hanging out with mentors I've made through those groups outside of the law school settings, etc. I treat all of my classmates kindly and respectfully, but in some ways--esp w. 1L year being so crazy,confusing,bringing out the worst in people--I view them as professional colleagues. I think this actually would confuse people who know me, because I'm actually a pretty bubbly and friendly person. I guess I'm waiting until 2L/3L to make more friends, when I don't have to deal with so much craziness from others and vice-versa.
Last edited by Guchster on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:37 am

NYC Law wrote:
dreakol wrote:
similar

Same here.

The good part is that when they actually do get to know you, you start on a clean slate, versus fucking up all types of potential professional and personal relationships w/ colleagues by the stress-induced nature of 1L.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:39 am

Guchster wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
dreakol wrote:
similar

Same here.

The good part is that when they actually do get to know you, you start on a clean slate, versus fucking up all types of potential professional and personal relationships w/ colleagues by the stress-induced nature of 1L.
Although I did get drunk after the last exam and hit on half the girls in my section. Eh... water under the bridge.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bruss

Bronze

Post by bruss » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:43 am

@op if you can find that gunner email plz post.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:39 am

Rikkugrrl wrote:
shock259 wrote:Fantastic thread.

On a serious note, there have got to be some level-headed people somewhere in class. I generally ignore people during the day, but I meet up with all of them when we go drinking. That is way more fun because people don't talk about law school all the time, if ever.

And I try to hang out with non-LS people as much as possible. It helps that I'm from the area where I go to LS, but I would just try and make new friends. They're so much more normal.

Also, I just started a lawcest relationship. PLAYING WITH FIRE.
Married or horrible, horrible consequences. Good luck!
I've always said, don't date people you work with. In the end, if you dump her, she could go running around telling everyone you donkey punched her... even if you didn't.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:55 am

I was engaged during 1L [got married rt after] and was one of the "married people" you described. I never really hung out during breaks, didnt go drinking, etc. I would talk to people during class and had lunch with a few of my section-mates maybe 4 times all year. Otherwise I would disapppear to the library to study. I think in general, married people have enough going on in their lives that they dont need to rely so heavily on a social life in law school. My general idea was that I was there to do well, not to socialize. I liked my section...everyone was really cool. But I just didnt feel like I needed to socialize.

I think that maybe you are socializing with people that are at a different point in their lives than you and its just a compatibility issue. like others said, try the married people. but yeah, we're not around much. this means you need to talk to them during breaks in the middle of class or at the beginning/end of class----build a repoir and you can eventually exchange numbers and maybe have dinner with them, etc.

NeighborGuy

Bronze

Post by NeighborGuy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:13 am

NYC Law wrote:Although I did get drunk after the last exam and hit on half the girls in my section. Eh... water under the bridge.
If by "after the last exam" you mean "during orientation," and by "half" you mean "all", then yeah...me too. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:33 am

bruss wrote:@op if you can find that gunner email plz post send to ATL.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:16 am

Rikkugrrl wrote: I found a group of 6 or so other 1Ls that seemed nice enough and for awhile things went well. But soon after, they started coupling off and that's when the shit hit the fan. It felt like a friggin LSAT problem. A dated B, then broke it off with B to bone C, and C broke it off with A to bone D, who was just starting to bone B. Oh and C and B knew each other before law school and were good friends, and B has no idea that C was boning A while A was boning B.
People are getting laid regularly...my kind of law school. :D
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
NYC Law wrote:People tend to mistake quietness for stupidity.
I think they do this in law school because they seem to tie knowledge with willingness and confidence to speak in class.
Isn't that funny? The smartest people most of us know tend not to speak very much in class/at work at all...too busy soaking it all up and storing it for use when it actually counts (exam, making a sale, etc.). :wink:

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:37 am

Re: Poster's use of "Irregardless".

It is not a word because it is inherently impractical. I cringe when people use that word...or the pseudo-word "conversate". If we wanted to give it a meaning, we could; it might be used solely to denote one's effort to create a conversation. Even then, most of the people who use the word would be misusing it, as they usually apply it to groups that are in an existing conversation.

I also heard someone use the expression "no love lost" on People's Court, but he meant to express that he had no bitterness or ill feelings towards his opponent - which was the opposite meaning.

I hate it when the Kardashians use "I" in every sentence in which they discuss themselves with another person. For example, Courtney might say, "The situation between Scott and I..."

They don't understand the mechanics of the English language that make the "I", "Me", "My", "Myself", "Mine", "He", She", "It", "They", "Them", "He", "She", "Him", "Her", etc. distinctions - hence their proper uses - unique.

Like I said, I cringe...I hear and read lots of improper uses of language...many of them from law school applicants, students and graduates.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:57 am

PDaddy wrote:

I hate it when the Kardashians use "I" in every sentence in which they discuss themselves with another person. For example, Courtney might say, "The situation between Scott and I..."

They don't understand the mechanics of the English language that make the "I", "Me", "My", "Myself", "Mine", "He", She", "It", "They", "Them", "He", "She", "Him", "Her", etc. distinctions - hence their proper uses - unique.

Like I said, I cringe...I hear and read lots of improper uses of language...many of them from law school applicants, students and graduates.
Come on, you know her name is Kourtney.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”