Making friends with D-bag law students Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Making friends with D-bag law students

Post by Rikkugrrl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:03 pm

I haven't posted on here in a long time, not since I was a 0L. Now I'm back with a question: Does anyone on here really, REALLY hate their class?

I hate them. All of them. They are the biggest bunch of douchebags I've ever had the displeasure of being stuck with all day 5 days a week. I have not found one person who does not get on my every last nerve. For the first few months of 1L year, I tried to make some friends since I was new in the area and didn't know anyone. I found a group of 6 or so other 1Ls that seemed nice enough and for awhile things went well. But soon after, they started coupling off and that's when the shit hit the fan. It felt like a friggin LSAT problem. A dated B, then broke it off with B to bone C, and C broke it off with A to bone D, who was just starting to bone B. Oh and C and B knew each other before law school and were good friends, and B has no idea that C was boning A while A was boning B. And since I'm the only one in a relationship outside the group with no stake in their love octagons, EVERYONE wants to talk to me about their romantic problems. I followed my boyfriend's advice and stayed the fuck out of it all, but now everyone in that group is pissed at each other and pissed at me for not taking sides and only wants to talk about how much they hate each other. So I'm staying away from them until (I hope) they come to their senses and stop fucking each other.

Meanwhile, everyone else in my section is either a gunner or married with kids and no interest in making friends. Just got an email from one of the gunners sent to our entire section because BEING LATE TO CLASS IS DISRESPECTFUL OMG and that's typical behavior for them. I've tried to talk to other people this semester, trying to branch out a bit from the incest group, but so far I've found A. a bunch of sorority girls who came straight from college and are clones of the mean girls I knew from high school ("there's this guy sitting next to me in Property that farted, that is SO DISGUSTING, I need to ask the Prof if I can change seats"), B. guys that just want to hit on anything that moves (one of them is sitting across from me in the lobby talking about the "girl with the messed up face" that he's banging along with four other girls).

For the tl;dr crowd: I like the school and the professors and the material, but I'm only a little over one semester in and I'm already actively seeking to spend most of my time either with my boyfriend or alone to get away from every A-hole in my section. And yeah yeah I know complaining about all this probably makes me one of those A-holes, but I'm getting really discouraged because this is the first time I've been to a school/job where I haven't been able to find anyone I like and want to hang out with. Has anyone else been in this situation? What did you do?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Making friends with D-bag law students

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:13 pm

It will get better once you can take classes with people outside your section.

But also, just because someone is married, etc., doesn't mean they don't want to make friends. It just means their priority is not the law school social scene. But maybe ask someone if they want to hang out, (s)he and their spouse, you and your boyfriend? I know it sounds kind of lame, but maybe that's the best way. It sounds like the whole "who is boinking who and who is upset about it" scene is what's really grating on you, and making friends with people that are sort of outside of that would probably be best.

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:28 pm

kalvano wrote:It will get better once you can take classes with people outside your section.

But also, just because someone is married, etc., doesn't mean they don't want to make friends. It just means their priority is not the law school social scene. But maybe ask someone if they want to hang out, (s)he and their spouse, you and your boyfriend? I know it sounds kind of lame, but maybe that's the best way. It sounds like the whole "who is boinking who and who is upset about it" scene is what's really grating on you, and making friends with people that are sort of outside of that would probably be best.
That's good advice. There are a lot of married peeps in my section, but I guess I just always assumed they had their own stuff going on outside of school since they would leave during the breaks and right after school wouldn't hang around to chat. I think I'll try that :). It would be good to get away from all the boinking...it's been going on for months and I remember telling my boyfriend "this is not going to end well" when I first found out about A and B getting together (in my experience, dating within a group ends one of two ways: you get married or break up and make things awkward forever). Obviously, the latter happened.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:31 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:("there's this guy sitting next to me in Property that farted, that is SO DISGUSTING, I need to ask the Prof if I can change seats")
Bahaha

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:35 pm

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the married people. It may not have all the fun and excitement of the singles, bar review scene, but it also avoids a lot of the shit-slinging and headache-inducing drama.

My wife likes meeting friends from school, and we've gotten to know some pretty great people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Posts like this reaffirm my love of introversion. If you don't like people, not being friends with them doesn't bother you.

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:46 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:
kalvano wrote:It will get better once you can take classes with people outside your section.

That's good advice. There are a lot of married peeps in my section, but I guess I just always assumed they had their own stuff going on outside of school since they would leave during the breaks and right after school wouldn't hang around to chat. I think I'll try that :). It would be good to get away from all the boinking...it's been going on for months and I remember telling my boyfriend "this is not going to end well" when I first found out about A and B getting together (in my experience, dating within a group ends one of two ways: you get married or break up and make things awkward forever). Obviously, the latter happened.
I'm married, and I don't want to make friends :roll:.

It's funny, at my school, there was a pretty strict "no dating within section" policy that people seemed to follow pretty well. I guess that's not everywhere.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:47 pm

if you can't find at least few agreeable people you are either a douche or go to Harvard

I have no sympathy for you in either case

kalvano wrote:I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the married people. It may not have all the fun and excitement of the singles, bar review scene, but it also avoids a lot of the shit-slinging and headache-inducing drama.

My wife likes meeting friends from school, and we've gotten to know some pretty great people.
I'm not married, but I like the married folks as well. They're generally level headed, not needy, and reliable. Good folks.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:52 pm

I suppose you can't go around asking people how much do you hate law school, but if you can avoid anyone who brings up law related small talk, that's a start.
Last edited by cinephile on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:56 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:Just got an email from one of the gunners sent to our entire section because BEING LATE TO CLASS IS DISRESPECTFUL
lol'd

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:IA dated B, then broke it off with B to bone C, and C broke it off with A to bone D, who was just starting to bone B. Oh and C and B knew each other before law school and were good friends, and B has no idea that C was boning A while A was boning B.
I really hope this is what law school is like, and I am D.

nsbane

Bronze

Post by nsbane » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:17 pm

polkij333 wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:IA dated B, then broke it off with B to bone C, and C broke it off with A to bone D, who was just starting to bone B. Oh and C and B knew each other before law school and were good friends, and B has no idea that C was boning A while A was boning B.
And I will probably be E who really liked A, and dealt with it by ignoring her.

bruss

Bronze

Post by bruss » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:25 pm

nsbane wrote:
polkij333 wrote:
LMFAO

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:29 pm

nsbane wrote:
polkij333 wrote:
Lolz. This.

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:36 pm

Oh I don't have anything against the married folks at all. Trust me, I'd have no problem saying goodbye to the "excitement" of the love octagon. Trouble is, most of the ones I know disappear right after class and during the breaks, but I bet I can catch one on their own if I'm quick (crikey).

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

This is the best thread I've read in a while.

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:42 pm

polkij333 wrote:
Loled. You don't want to be D.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:56 pm

What school is this? If you're at my school (possible because our 1Ls are turrible) we can be buds, you're hilarious

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Fantastic thread.

On a serious note, there have got to be some level-headed people somewhere in class. I generally ignore people during the day, but I meet up with all of them when we go drinking. That is way more fun because people don't talk about law school all the time, if ever.

And I try to hang out with non-LS people as much as possible. It helps that I'm from the area where I go to LS, but I would just try and make new friends. They're so much more normal.

Also, I just started a lawcest relationship. PLAYING WITH FIRE.

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Always Credited wrote:What school is this? If you're at my school (possible because our 1Ls are turrible) we can be buds, you're hilarious
It's a state with only two law schools total and only one that anyone takes seriously (and even then only in state people take it seriously, which is fine with my TTT ass :P).

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Always Credited wrote:What school is this? If you're at my school (possible because our 1Ls are turrible) we can be buds, you're hilarious
Looks like University of South Carolina.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 pm

shock259 wrote:Fantastic thread.

On a serious note, there have got to be some level-headed people somewhere in class. I generally ignore people during the day, but I meet up with all of them when we go drinking. That is way more fun because people don't talk about law school all the time, if ever.

And I try to hang out with non-LS people as much as possible. It helps that I'm from the area where I go to LS, but I would just try and make new friends. They're so much more normal.

I read this, then looked at your avatar. Read it again, then had a good chuckle.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:
It's a state with only two law schools total and only one that anyone takes seriously (and even then only in state people take it seriously, which is fine with my TTT ass :P).
In that case, all I can do for you is this:

F is for friends who do stuff together,
U is for you and me,
N is for NE where and NE time at all,
Down here in the deep blue sea.

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

shock259 wrote:Fantastic thread.

Married or horrible, horrible consequences. Good luck!

turkishswat

New

Post by turkishswat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:31 pm

Always Credited wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:
In that case, all I can do for you is this:

F is for friends who do stuff together,
U is for you and me,
N is for NE where and NE time at all,
Down here in the deep blue sea.

Spongebob. Nice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”