Is not having a letter grade after 1st semester a + ?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Assumpsit
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:57 pm

Is not having a letter grade after 1st semester a + ?

Postby Assumpsit » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:53 pm

My school doesn't assign letter grades until the end of spring semester. For all of my classes I got a raw score, with each professor releasing either the score distribution or a rough estimate of grade ranges.

Seeing as I'm within 1 or 2 raw points (out of roughly 75-100) in every class from median , does this benefit me more if I manage to do much better next semester? All of my classes are worth more (40/60 / .33/.66) in the spring, with several professors telling us they reserve the right to bump grades who show a big increase second semester.

Not that I'm planning to, but figure I cant do any worse than this semester.
Last edited by Assumpsit on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Is not having a letter grade after 1st semester a + ?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:58 pm

If you do absurdly well it helps. Like you blow the curve so hard that you are significantly better than top students, it is a plus. If you do really bad, it's a bad thing. Otherwise, it's a wash.

Seeing as no good school does this, it's probably a negative.

Assumpsit
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Is not having a letter grade after 1st semester a + ?

Postby Assumpsit » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If you do absurdly well it helps. Like you blow the curve so hard that you are significantly better than top students, it is a plus. If you do really bad, it's a bad thing. Otherwise, it's a wash.

Seeing as no good school does this, it's probably a negative.


Brah are you saying T39s are not good schools ?? pffffttttt .

Assumpsit
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Is not having a letter grade after 1st semester a + ?

Postby Assumpsit » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:08 pm

And I guess the only scenarios, mathematically, where it would help is where you were right on the edge of a B/B+ 1st semester but would have gotten an B under a normal grading system, and second semester you get enough of a bump in raw points to a B+. Instead of a 3.0 and 3.33 averaged you end up with a 3.33 B+ final grade.

Or if you set the curve, like I will.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Is not having a letter grade after 1st semester a + ?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Assumpsit wrote:And I guess the only scenarios, mathematically, where it would help is where you were right on the edge of a B/B+ 1st semester but would have gotten an B under a normal grading system, and second semester you get enough of a bump in raw points to a B+. Instead of a 3.0 and 3.33 averaged you end up with a 3.33 B+ final grade.

Or if you set the curve, like I will.


Yea, but it could go the other way. You could have just gotten an B+ this semster and next semester barely get a B and you would have ended up with a B+/B and instead you just get a B.

Assumpsit
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Is not having a letter grade after 1st semester a + ?

Postby Assumpsit » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Assumpsit wrote:And I guess the only scenarios, mathematically, where it would help is where you were right on the edge of a B/B+ 1st semester but would have gotten an B under a normal grading system, and second semester you get enough of a bump in raw points to a B+. Instead of a 3.0 and 3.33 averaged you end up with a 3.33 B+ final grade.

Or if you set the curve, like I will.


Yea, but it could go the other way. You could have just gotten an B+ this semster and next semester barely get a B and you would have ended up with a B+/B and instead you just get a B.


Thats true. But like all other 1Ls at median, I will do better next semester. duh.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: black lab, kensey, LandMermaid and 7 guests