Law School Students & Jury Duty

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
DrGuano
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby DrGuano » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:08 pm

Have to report for trial jury duty tomorrow morning. Can only postpone once for 6 weeks, so I figured I might as well get this out of the way now. What are peoples experiences with getting dismissed promptly based on their law student status? I'm hoping to be in and out as quickly as possible.

LiberalLaw
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:33 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby LiberalLaw » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:20 pm

I actually received a notice this past month. My home state allowed for a postponement, and i have a date in August.

You can try and talk to the trial judge in your county or court and see if they will move it again.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby duckmoney » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Did you get called in the county you currently reside in? If you don't live in the county anymore, if its your hometown or UG county, then you're automatically exempt.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:51 pm

DrGuano wrote:Have to report for trial jury duty tomorrow morning. Can only postpone once for 6 weeks, so I figured I might as well get this out of the way now. What are peoples experiences with getting dismissed promptly based on their law student status? I'm hoping to be in and out as quickly as possible.


I think all else equal it probably means you are less likely to be picked, but there's still a decent chance. When I did jury duty, two practicing lawyers were picked to be on the jury (they were in civil practice, the case was a criminal one). Believe it or not, I know of one instance of a nominated-but-not-yet-confirmed federal judge being picked to be on a state jury.

By the way, if you have any prior association with a prosecutor's office (ADA or AUSA) or public defender's office, even an internship, in some jurisdictions you'll be automatically disqualified. So play that up if you have it.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12496
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby jessuf » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:57 pm

i got picked for jury duty while a student/working full time. my case lasted 4 days.

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby I.P. Daly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:06 pm

Enjoy vwa dear.

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:51 am

My contracts professor last semester got called for jury duty and served on a jury during our finals week, which made it hard to go to office hours. It happens. Hopefully, it will be quick and only part of the day.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby ben4847 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:58 am

Frankly, I'd just skip it and pay the fine. If you're paying 25k a semester, it is worth another few hundred bucks to not miss a week of class.

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby I.P. Daly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:53 pm

ben4847 wrote:Frankly, I'd just skip it and pay the fine. If you're paying 25k a semester, it is worth another few hundred bucks to not miss a week of class.


You'd probably have to report skipping jury duty on your Character and Fitness application.

Explaining why you skipped jury duty when you could have shown up and asked to be excused based on undue hardship might suck, a lot.

If you report for jury duty, the attorneys and judge, presumably having gone to law school, are likely to understand and be sympathetic to your situation.
Last edited by I.P. Daly on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Depends on your jurisdiction, but when I got called in NY they asked if anyone was a student who was currently missing class, then let those people go. I didn't have class that morning so they didn't dismiss me. Then I got empaneled, despite the fact that I did have to miss class later in the week for the trial. Pretty dumb but there you go.

One of the lawyers (who had a pretty weak case) clearly wanted to dismiss me but had used his peremptories. It all just depends, but on balance your odds of being put on a jury are probably pretty much like everyone else's.

Also FWIW, I accidentally missed my first jury summons date (threw it out and completely forgot about it) and didn't hear from them again for about six months. Then they just sent me another one that basically said, Hey buddy, you better show up this time. Wouldn't count on there being no repercussions but more likely than not you can skip it once and chalk it up to an accident.

User avatar
DrGuano
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby DrGuano » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:27 pm

Hopped the train to the suburbs at 7:40, got in at 8:20, in the jury selection room at 8:45, dismissed by 9!

Sweet talked the lady setting everything up before the admin judge came in, she got me into his office, I told him I was in law school and would be missing two classes today, and he sent me on my way.

Back in my apartment in the city by 10:30.

All in all - not too shabby of a jury duty experience.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby ben4847 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:29 pm

DrGuano wrote:Hopped the train to the suburbs at 7:40, got in at 8:20, in the jury selection room at 8:45, dismissed by 9!

Sweet talked the lady setting everything up before the admin judge came in, she got me into his office, I told him I was in law school and would be missing two classes today, and he sent me on my way.

Back in my apartment in the city by 10:30.

All in all - not too shabby of a jury duty experience.


yeah, I did that during summer vacation in undergrad. Just told them I was in Harvard law school and had two LSATs that morning.

User avatar
DrGuano
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby DrGuano » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:32 pm

ben4847 wrote:
DrGuano wrote:Hopped the train to the suburbs at 7:40, got in at 8:20, in the jury selection room at 8:45, dismissed by 9!

Sweet talked the lady setting everything up before the admin judge came in, she got me into his office, I told him I was in law school and would be missing two classes today, and he sent me on my way.

Back in my apartment in the city by 10:30.

All in all - not too shabby of a jury duty experience.


yeah, I did that during summer vacation in undergrad. Just told them I was in Harvard law school and had two LSATs that morning.


TWO LSATS?! IN ONE MORNING?!

baller

User avatar
shepdawg
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby shepdawg » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:04 pm

A friend of mine in California has thrown away every jury notice she has ever received, and never reported to court. She's 76 years old now, and has never been prosecuted, fined, or ticketed for not attending jury duty.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby ben4847 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:07 pm

They say that in NY state, if you never fill out the "jury questionnaire" that they send first, you will never get called or fined.
I didn't know that, so I filled it out. I got called, and ended up there on various panels for 4 days, before being sent home. At least I got $160.

User avatar
DrGuano
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby DrGuano » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:10 pm

shepdawg wrote:A friend of mine in California has thrown away every jury notice she has ever received, and never reported to court. She's 76 years old now, and has never been prosecuted, fined, or ticketed for not attending jury duty.


good for her. i'm yet to sit for the bar, so think it's best fo c&f to wade carefully when it comes to contempt of court charges.

User avatar
reformed calvinist
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby reformed calvinist » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:43 pm

DrGuano wrote:
shepdawg wrote:A friend of mine in California has thrown away every jury notice she has ever received, and never reported to court. She's 76 years old now, and has never been prosecuted, fined, or ticketed for not attending jury duty.


good for her. i'm yet to sit for the bar, so think it's best fo c&f to wade carefully when it comes to contempt of court charges.


The point is if it's not sent via certified mail they can't show you received it.

User avatar
DrGuano
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby DrGuano » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:32 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:
DrGuano wrote:
shepdawg wrote:A friend of mine in California has thrown away every jury notice she has ever received, and never reported to court. She's 76 years old now, and has never been prosecuted, fined, or ticketed for not attending jury duty.


good for her. i'm yet to sit for the bar, so think it's best fo c&f to wade carefully when it comes to contempt of court charges.


The point is if it's not sent via certified mail they can't show you received it.


Scouring old posts to respond to?? Looks like someone's procrastinating.

User avatar
reformed calvinist
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby reformed calvinist » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:35 pm

DrGuano wrote:
reformed calvinist wrote:
DrGuano wrote:
shepdawg wrote:A friend of mine in California has thrown away every jury notice she has ever received, and never reported to court. She's 76 years old now, and has never been prosecuted, fined, or ticketed for not attending jury duty.


good for her. i'm yet to sit for the bar, so think it's best fo c&f to wade carefully when it comes to contempt of court charges.


The point is if it's not sent via certified mail they can't show you received it.


Scouring old posts to respond to?? Looks like someone's procrastinating.



Image

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby cinephile » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:39 pm

^^^ so cute! Reminds of when my kittens were little.

User avatar
reformed calvinist
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Law School Students & Jury Duty

Postby reformed calvinist » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:54 pm

cinephile wrote:^^^ so cute! Reminds of when my kittens were little.


I'm allergic to cats :cry:




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests