Legislation and Regulation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tbaker757

Legislation and Regulation

Postby tbaker757 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:14 am

My school has done away with a 1L second semester elective in favor of making everyone take the new class legislation and regulation...because I can't find commercial study guides or the like I was wondering if A) anyone knows of any that I missed or B)anyone has had this class and can give any insight

kalvano

Re: Legislation and Regulation

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Is this like Admin Law?

dtl

Postby dtl » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:39 pm

I am in the same boat in Arizona. As far as I can tell there are no on topic hornbooks to be had.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Ah, Legislation. It's all about theories of statutory interpretation. This is a required 1L class at my school. It has been by far the easiest class I have ever taken. With that being said though, everyone in your class will think it's easy and the curve will be brutal. I did not use a supplemental, and I promise you will not need one. While the class is interesting, and you'll pick up some valuable information it seemed like a waste of a class for most of the semester. I got an A in the class, but I did so by pre-writing all my answers (I cannot tell you how much this helped!); however, you can only do this if you know exactly what is going to be on the exam...otherwise, you'll just waste time.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:48 pm

kalvano wrote:Is this like Admin Law?

Not even close to Admin.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:52 pm

as stars burn wrote:

Not even close to Admin.

It'd be kind of tough to teach a course with "regulation" in the title without covering administrative law stuff.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm also at a school that did a required 1L legislation class. Easy breezy Japanesey. We spent the first 90% of the class on statutory interpretation (which is a hellaciously long amount of time to screw around with this stuff in a semester-long class), then briefly talked about some admin law concepts at the end, mainly Chevron.

If you do the reading, you won't need a supp, but if you're like me you don't plan on doing the reading.

I did the reading for the admin stuff because I was interested in it, and then I skimmed this supplement (http://www.amazon.com/Legislation-Statu ... 066&sr=8-1) a couple days before the exam. Got an A. Happy trails, friend.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:36 pm

My course was about 1/3 statutory interpretation, 1/3 separation of powers and judicial review, and 1/3 agency regulation promulgation and judicial review.

I didn't use a supplement because there were non on point. The Admin Law E&E had some relevant info, but it went into WAY too much detail usually. Fortunately, my casebook was good (Manning). Good casebook reading + comparing past student's outlines = booked it.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:40 am

beach_terror wrote:
as stars burn wrote:

Not even close to Admin.

It'd be kind of tough to teach a course with "regulation" in the title without covering administrative law stuff.

I think to a point all the classes we take overlap each other; however, Legislation doesn't go into any depth about governmental administrative agencies---something my Civ Pro professor talked a lot about since he teaches Admin at our school, too. Our class literately focused on statutes, the court's interpretation and why they picked that interpretation. We were supposed to get to Chevron deference, but we didn't get anywhere near there. Our class was only called "legislation" without the "regulation" part, so I think our legislation class may have been a little different than the above responses.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:24 pm

as stars burn wrote:Ah, Legislation. It's all about theories of statutory interpretation. This is a required 1L class at my school. It has been by far the easiest class I have ever taken. With that being said though, everyone in your class will think it's easy and the curve will be brutal. I did not use a supplemental, and I promise you will not need one. While the class is interesting, and you'll pick up some valuable information it seemed like a waste of a class for most of the semester. I got an A in the class, but I did so by pre-writing all my answers (I cannot tell you how much this helped!); however, you can only do this if you know exactly what is going to be on the exam...otherwise, you'll just waste time.

did your professor tell you ahead of time what was going to be on your exam?

NeighborGuy

Postby NeighborGuy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:59 pm

My final exam for this course last semester had two questions: one required you to know and be able to apply the process courts use to interpret statutes. Fairly formulaic, and doesn't take long to learn and master. The other hypo was a pure policy question on subject matter we weren't familiar with. In hindsight, I should have seen it coming given how our professor liked to waste spend so much time letting students argue policy back and forth in class, but I wasn't prepared for it at all and flubbed that half of the exam. :( If I had prepared for pure policy questions with GTM beforehand, I would have aced it easily.

Moral is, pay attention to what your professor wants, but don't stress over this one too much. I learned everything I needed in like a day's worth of studying.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:02 am

Same situation at Fordham. Good to hear it's not that difficult though.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”