Grading onto LR and Transfers

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
johansantana21

Grading onto LR and Transfers

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:54 pm

Just curious, if your school takes around the top 6% as grade on for LR, but if around 3% of those top 6% transfer out, are those grade on invitations given to the next 3%?

johansantana21

Re: Grading onto LR and Transfers

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Everyone else just as lost as I am?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Ask someone on the membership committee of your LR. I would imagine this varies from school to school, but generally the number of members seems fixed so they have to replace those invitations with others in one way or another.

NotoriousIIED

Postby NotoriousIIED » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Usually a school won't know who it lost until after the LR invitations have been extended and accepted because the write-on competition usually wraps up before the transfer application cycle does. I have never heard of a school offering newly opened slots (due to transfers) to the next people below the top 10% or whatever the cutoff is. What they will do is either allow some of their own transfers on through a transfer-only write-on competition or just take fewer people.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:49 pm

NotoriousIIED wrote:Usually a school won't know who it lost until after the LR invitations have been extended and accepted because the write-on competition usually wraps up before the transfer application cycle does. I have never heard of a school offering newly opened slots (due to transfers) to the next people below the top 10% or whatever the cutoff is. What they will do is either allow some of their own transfers on through a transfer-only write-on competition or just take fewer people.

I can assure you that some Law Reviews do accept more students based on transfers.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Related question: LR website says that students who are in the top 2% of their class and who have earned at least a B+ in LRW may be invited as super grade-ons after LRW first semester. Does anyone have a policy like this at their school where people who fall into that group did not get invited for whatever reason or is it pretty much automatic?

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Generally the answer is no. Some schools might, but re-ranking (and the benefits that would come along with it) after transfers leave is rare.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:46 pm

k makes sense

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”