Stayin' alive with a 2.5

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Extension_Cord

Silver

Re: Stayin' alive with a 2.5

Postby Extension_Cord » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Geist13 wrote:I don't know what I made before taxes, after taxes was around the 17000 mark though. I paid 400 a month in rent for a shared 2 bedroom; it wasn't shitty, just a good deal. (I've never paid 500 in rent and have always lived in 500,000+ cities). I only had to pay for one meal a day because one of my jobs was in food service with lax food policies; I spent very little money on food. As far as emergencies, fuck I had no money for those; and that was a constant worry. It was rough, I'm lucky nothing happened. It was also the middle of the recession and there were no jobs. I know I had some uncommon circumstances (god free food is so awesome). The point is that you don't need 35k just to get by. I mean, this year my school allotted me 13K for cost of living in loans and I'm not exactly living super frugally (though I no longer have a car, those things are expensive).

edit: also 17000/12 does not equal 1307 . . .

You might be able to live in the present on 22k, but you know you wouldn't be able to buy a home or set aside any money for investments.

furcifer

New

Postby furcifer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:29 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
Geist13 wrote:I don't know what I made before taxes, after taxes was around the 17000 mark though. I paid 400 a month in rent for a shared 2 bedroom; it wasn't shitty, just a good deal. (I've never paid 500 in rent and have always lived in 500,000+ cities). I only had to pay for one meal a day because one of my jobs was in food service with lax food policies; I spent very little money on food. As far as emergencies, fuck I had no money for those; and that was a constant worry. It was rough, I'm lucky nothing happened. It was also the middle of the recession and there were no jobs. I know I had some uncommon circumstances (god free food is so awesome). The point is that you don't need 35k just to get by. I mean, this year my school allotted me 13K for cost of living in loans and I'm not exactly living super frugally (though I no longer have a car, those things are expensive).

edit: also 17000/12 does not equal 1307 . . .

You might be able to live in the present on 22k, but you know you wouldn't be able to buy a home or set aside any money for investments.

That is a completely different argument and you know it.

Geist13

Silver

Postby Geist13 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:You might be able to live in the present on 22k, but you know you wouldn't be able to buy a home or set aside any money for investments.

Who's looking to buy a home or invest when they are making that amount of money? Lets look back at what you originally said:

Extension_Cord wrote:You need atleast 35k to sustain just yourself in a below average neighborhood (in a cheaper city), eating McDonalds, and driving the same type of car you drive now. Thank your parents for the 22 years of supporting you!

I don't think that when you talk about the amount needed just to "sustain yourself" leaving only enough $ for mcdonald's you meant the amount needed to also make significant investments and purchase a home. You said 35K was the minimum to "sustain yourself." My point is that is patently absurd. The highest paying job I've ever had is $13 an hour and during that time I had a ton of throw away money ($13 an hour comes out to like 26k in a year).

Extension_Cord

Silver

Postby Extension_Cord » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:01 am

Geist13 wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:You might be able to live in the present on 22k, but you know you wouldn't be able to buy a home or set aside any money for investments.

Who's looking to buy a home or invest when they are making that amount of money? Lets look back at what you originally said:

Extension_Cord wrote:You need atleast 35k to sustain just yourself in a below average neighborhood (in a cheaper city), eating McDonalds, and driving the same type of car you drive now. Thank your parents for the 22 years of supporting you!

I don't think that when you talk about the amount needed just to "sustain yourself" leaving only enough $ for mcdonald's you meant the amount needed to also make significant investments and purchase a home. You said 35K was the minimum to "sustain yourself." My point is that is patently absurd. The highest paying job I've ever had is $13 an hour and during that time I had a ton of throw away money ($13 an hour comes out to like 26k in a year).

We both miscalculated. :lol:

I made 17 an hour before school, and I only had maybe $70 a week to spend as I pleased. I lived frugally too and saved most of it, not much to show for it now that I paid 1L tuition ($15,000). :evil:

zzzzzzzzzz

New

Postby zzzzzzzzzz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:04 pm

thesteelers wrote:
pupperoni wrote:
Zazelmaf wrote:
pupperoni wrote:lol trolololol no way someone can be this stupid

could you please elaborate?

haha you went full retard man, to troll effectively you can't do that.

+1

boosk

Bronze

Postby boosk » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:41 pm

you NEVER go full retard, man...

Zazelmaf

Bronze

Postby Zazelmaf » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:29 am

Lesson learned: next time I'll go half retard.

Also: I dropped out!

Zazelmaf

Bronze

Postby Zazelmaf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:40 pm

Pardame wonders if I should have finished the semester, since I paid for most of it. Oh well, the truth is, I did what I had to do, and while the outside world is 'hecka scary' and I ca... I ca... I can.... not imagine where I am headed next.

Why oh why did I go to a lower ranked law school?

Why oh why?!??!!

I wish I had never went to a lower ranked law school. Why?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

SPAM

PinkCow

Silver

Postby PinkCow » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:07 pm

"Plan for Healthy Abs"

What the hell is this?

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:22 pm

Op whats your business idea? Starting a business is really hard. Even if it's successful, odds are u wont be a millionaire. I started 3 small businesses after UG because I could not find a job that paid over 10-15/hr, and around this time I also found out my family needed my help. Even now that I make about a k a week, I'd still much rather have a regular job with a guaranteed income. I wouldn't have people try to rip me off on such a job (ie I'd know my boss will pay me), I often can't predict my income, rather tha just doing my job I'm dependent on so many other people to make $. Oh and when u do become somewhat successful, larger companies start to harass u and try to crush you (some do however partner with u and offer advise if u can help make them more $). Lastly, i got really lucky in that I started a service company and was deemed great at providing that service so starting a biz made sense in that I could just train people across the country and essentially clone myself to make more money.

I wrote because it seems like u think "law school failed. Ill just start a biz and make money." this is not how it works, and unless u have a solid plan it can take yrs to turn a profit. U dont need business experience to launch a profitable business, but nothinh about ur finacial behavior in the past suggests ud be able to succeed witout extensive training.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�