Sh*t Gunners Say

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Judge Philip Banks

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:05 pm

NeighborGuy wrote:We have a gunner who speaks only in random sprayings of black letter law vomit. It's like he's a vacuum cleaner for legalese that goes on reverse every time he tries to answer a question. The other day in Contracts he raised his hand to answer a simple question about consideration and spoke for about 2 minutes, shoehorning in three or four irrelevant concepts that we hadn't even covered yet. One time in Torts the prof mentioned diversity jurisdiction in passing, and he responds by mumbling to himself, "requires a complete diversity of parties and a claim for relief exceeding $75,000..."

He's like this even in casual conversation. That part is extra weird. :?

Sounds like someone in my section...

Not like we didn't already know this, but law school really is a magnet for crazies.

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:00 am

NoleinNY wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
JoeFish wrote:We had a mandatory 1L career workshop. Pretty boring, but you know, presentations on networking and whatnot. We were split into two sections; one would see presentation A and the other B, and then they'd switch and the like.

The one career services dude gave us a presentation that lasted 30 minutes. For the other group, it lasted about 70 minutes because a college freshman had sneaked in and began asking dozens of questions about legal employment. I'm surprised he wasn't literally murdered.

looool. That is one ballsy college freshman.

A college student sat in on a friend of mine's crim law class and he was a proto-gunner. To make matters worse, the professor gave the kid the power to pick who got cold called and the guy got drunk with power.

HAHAHHAHHA

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:02 am

We have some stupid fat girl who raises her hand at everything to answer with "Uh, I don't know, but let me tell you about the time..."

I wonder if she realizes the book weighs about 15 pounds and I can throw far.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:45 am

I love my con law professor for calling people out. The guy who used the slippery slope argument in every class, every day, last semester was labeled the slippery slope guy by my professor. Every time we discuss an issue, the professor asks him if there is any useless slippery slope argument to make.

On the first day of said con law class, someone raised their hand to define "the Constitution." He has not spoken in class since that first day (3 weeks later). However, he decided to walk to class with me the other day and was bragging about how he was the professor's favorite student because he had a really great definition for the Constitution and oh wow he was a poli sci major in undergrad and he is really going to book con law because he loves politics and blah blah. I looked at him during class later that day, and every time the professor would ask a question and cold call on someone else, the guy would quietly whisper some response to himself. I imagine he was repeating his definition over and over.

In my property class, we read the Hayashi/Popov case, and two gunners argued for 30 minutes about rules of baseball. Finally, the professor was like, "Hmm. Ok. Glad to see we have some baseball fans here. However, let me redirect the class back to the real issue, which does not involve how baseball is or should be played but rather pre-possessory interests."

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:49 am

Has anyone else come to hate the word 'essentially'? I swear when anyone in my section is called on to say what a case is about they always start with "Well this is essentially about..."

Makes me cringe every time.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:55 am

NYC Law wrote:Has anyone else come to hate the word 'essentially'? I swear when anyone in my section is called on to say what a case is about they always start with "Well this is essentially about..."

haha I said that in Contracts and the professor ripped me apart.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:17 pm

NYC Law wrote:Has anyone else come to hate the word 'essentially'? I swear when anyone in my section is called on to say what a case is about they always start with "Well this is essentially about..."

This is the worst. It comes up a lot when people try to game the socratic method because they think they're so smart. A professor will say something like "what were the facts of this case?" and the gunner will say "it's essentially a test case for xxxxxxx" or "it essentially turned on the question of xxxxxxx" and then we have to wait while the professor makes it clear that he was really just looking for the "what happened when, where, how, and with/by whom" like a professor always is when he wants the facts of the case. The worst part is that when someone tries to say what the case "essentially" is or is about, they're wrong like 90%+ of the time.

smelltheglove

Postby smelltheglove » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:56 pm

3L gunners...why, just why?

merc280

Postby merc280 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:01 pm

have a girl in class that says it whenever she's called on. I used to think saying essentially was going to shorten her talking time but she goes on for at least 10 minutes saying everything is "essentially" something.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:03 pm

merc280 wrote:

have a girl in class that says it whenever she's called on. I used to think saying essentially was going to shorten her talking time but she goes on for at least 10 minutes saying everything is "essentially" something.

It's the law student equivalent of "you know" for athletes.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:06 pm

Class went over by 5 minutes, yet a student was still asking questions and debating about the commerce clause with the professor. stfu, everyone else wants to leave.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:41 am

This reminds me of a guy in my section. Every time a professor asks, "Do you think this case was rightly decided," he waits for others to answer and then interjects with, "Well, as a matter of public policy..."

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:28 pm

You know you're a gunner when you have a full fledged argument in Subway about what constitutes the intent to gun.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:55 pm

Not a gunner, but somebody in our class went out of their way to correct the professor for missing one letter on the end of someone's name from a case - the professor called on them for the case and they didnt even read it :oops:

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Gunner: "Fat Tits ________"

Contracts
Lecture on something. New professor is having difficult using his analogy.
Fat Tits interjects in a New York accent, "Hey, professor. When you gonna figure out that the _____ analogy just ain't working? It ain't working!"

Property
Lecture on something. Somehow, professor was dumb enough to call on "fat tits"
Fat Tits begins to explain his position on some stupid concept, and notices that everyone in the class is giving him the "stupid look." That's when he says "OK then. I guess I'll just have to draw it on the board so you all can understand." Then he walks to the front of the class, and begins to draw some shit on the board.

Forget which class
Professor is lecturing and goes 1 minute past the scheduled end of class.
Fat Tits yells "Hey Professor, class is over eye." He points to the clock.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:27 pm

"That is true,but....."

I hate this one. But nothing. Casebook bible and teacher god there no but..

LawMan20

Postby LawMan20 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:29 pm

jarofsoup wrote:"That is true,but....."

I hate this one. But nothing. Casebook bible and teacher god there no but..

Lol this is the mentality I have.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:44 pm

shepdawg wrote:Gunner: "Fat Tits ________"

Contracts
Fat Tits interjects in a New York accent, "Hey, professor. When you gonna figure out that the _____ analogy just ain't working? It ain't working!"

Property
Fat Tits begins to explain his position on some stupid concept, and notices that everyone in the class is giving him the "stupid look." That's when he says "OK then. I guess I'll just have to draw it on the board so you all can understand." Then he walks to the front of the class, and begins to draw some shit on the board.

Forget which class

1.) i like that fat tits is a guy.
2.) sounds like you have class with the situation.

Anomaly

Postby Anomaly » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:52 pm

When I think of the worst shit gunners say, I just think of this guy in my class who always volunteers to answer tough questions but never answers or even responds to the question. This guy loves convoluted, fancy-sounding judicial opinions, but even more he loves to hear his voice reading them out loud for the class.

Prof: Why do we have X doctrine if Y, Z, Q, and P, and we already have A and B, and the goal is C and D?

"Well, on page 292 the court said [reads tangentially-related paragraph out loud for the class]."

Yvonnella

Postby Yvonnella » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:47 am

Contracts

Property

Forget which class

The fact that this is about some guy from New York makes me giggle uncontrollably. You are a monster!

northerncali9

Postby northerncali9 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:02 am

1. Contracts

2. No question by the professor, just a review session on the last day of class before reading week. The professor was already considered to be pretty condescending and unapproachable by many students, so this made the story even better. The professor was talking about something related to the Statute of Frauds in 2-201 of the UCC (Article 2).

3. Gunner raises his hand (by this time in the semester, everyone has accepted him as being a prototypical, annoying, and nonsensical gunner) and cites something about the Statute of Frauds from Article 9 of the UCC, which had nothing to do with what would be covered on the exam. Professor goes completely ape shit on him and asks him what the hell he was doing reading Article 9 of the UCC when we are only in Article 2. Professor admits she did not even read Article 9 of the UCC and that she repeatedly told us not use supplements for her class that are outside the scope of what would be tested.

4. She could have stopped there, but kept teeing off on his stupidity for a good 5 minutes with the entire class roaring in laughter and hiding behind their laptops. Then at the end of class professor turns back to him and says, "So Mr. ____ are you going to get rid of that supplement now." His response: "Well I already paid for it." It was just great to finally see a professor stop letting this guy take over the class with his pointless crap. It worked because he has really toned it down this semester in other classes, and I think he has not voluntarily said a word in Contracts this semester.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:11 pm

as a 2L i have come to appreciate gunners. i wish there were more of them. the unstructured/total lack of cold calling means i don't have to say shit if there are enough people willing to do it voluntarily

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
Jessuf wrote:The 1,2,3,4 format doesn't apply to my story, but one of the gunners pitched a hissy fit that all of our professors preferred cold calling over taking volunteers. He spoke with the professors. They didn't care. He went to the registrar to see if he could be switched to another section so that he could rest easy knowing the other professors would not ignore him when he raised his hand 5 million times a class. I haven't seen him in a while. Not sure if they obliged him or if he dropped out. He always talked about how he had been IQ tested as a genius, had an amazing LSAT score, and would be transferring to HYS because he knew he would be ranked #1. I go to a TTT, mind you.

He transfered to HY and S after his practise final score came out.

What a little dipshit. :roll:

There are are only one or tw gunners in my section, but this one dude has calmed it down and he has the smarts to back it up anywany.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:37 pm

Yvonnella wrote:

Contracts

Property

Forget which class

The fact that this is about some guy from New York makes me giggle uncontrollably. You are a monster!

God this kind of thing makes me wish we had people like this at my school. Fat Tits sounds like a real riot to have in class....fun to have a good laugh at thier expense.

youarereadingthis

Postby youarereadingthis » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:35 pm

I shit you not. A girl in my section raises her hand to say, "I don't see the relevance of his/her point" when classmate finishes speaking. It's happened more than once.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”