Sh*t Gunners Say

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JoeFish

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby JoeFish » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:39 pm

We had a mandatory 1L career workshop. Pretty boring, but you know, presentations on networking and whatnot. We were split into two sections; one would see presentation A and the other B, and then they'd switch and the like.

The one career services dude gave us a presentation that lasted 30 minutes. For the other group, it lasted about 70 minutes because a college freshman had sneaked in and began asking dozens of questions about legal employment. I'm surprised he wasn't literally murdered.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:47 pm

meow

LawMan20

Postby LawMan20 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Teoeo wrote:meow

That post accompanied by the avatar made me laugh.

Edit: haha, and every other time I look at it. ---- Definitely one of my new favorite poasters.
Last edited by LawMan20 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:01 am

1. Evidence
2. Asked about a particular hearsay exception for CA.
3. "Blah blah." Professor: "Not quite. Anyone el-" Gunner: "But BLAH BLAH BLAH, DERP BLAH DERP!" (It was revealed after class that gunner couldn't wrap head around idea of this rule being different in the federal [which she was quoting] and state evidence codes [which professor was asking about]).
4. Facepalm + stunned silence.

Not gunner, per se, but marginally inappropriate.

1. Upper division practical course.
2. Don't remember...
3. I'm paraphrasing, since I don't remember the details... She blurted this out towards the end of class, at thousand miles an hour in a nervous rambling, making everyone unnecessarily nervous for no good reason: "(*some question marginally related to how our 4 assignments over 2 semesters would be graded; remember, this is a 2L class post-OCI*) My scholarship is contingent on me making top 1/3 and in this economy I can't afford to lose it or else I'll be in massive debt and never able to find a job! blah blah blah."
4. Chill the fuck out.

angua

Postby angua » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:14 am

Two more... I'm sleep deprived and studying for exams, so I apologize for the lack of detail.

Situation #1: Prof is lecturing on [some aspect of procedure], gunner raises hand and interrupts, "Well, in ancient Roman law, there was a procedure for blah blah blah..." for like five minutes. It didn't even try to be relevant to the point at hand.

Situation #2: Our TAs are hanging out with us and giving us valuable life/law-school tips. They mention with some eye-rolling that "there are some students who are, like, gonna try to ingratiate themselves with the profs who have the best reputations for letters of recommendation, and really aggressively get in their faces." So someone raises their hand and said, "And, um, those professors you mentioned. Could you list some of them?"

Gunner fail on that one. I thought rule 1 was don't explicitly admit to your gunnerism.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:34 am

The 1,2,3,4 format doesn't apply to my story, but one of the gunners pitched a hissy fit that all of our professors preferred cold calling over taking volunteers. He spoke with the professors. They didn't care. He went to the registrar to see if he could be switched to another section so that he could rest easy knowing the other professors would not ignore him when he raised his hand 5 million times a class. I haven't seen him in a while. Not sure if they obliged him or if he dropped out. He always talked about how he had been IQ tested as a genius, had an amazing LSAT score, and would be transferring to HYS because he knew he would be ranked #1. I go to a TTT, mind you.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:42 am

some more i enjoyed:

1. Con Law
2. Does the Constitution... anywhere... give the President the power to declare war?
3. "Well, I think that... if you look at the Constitution... well, presidents have sent troops overseas before, I think. Did that happen with Iraq? I personally don't think the President should have the power. That seems undemocratic to give one person so much power. Has Congress ever retaliated against a president for sending troops overseas?"
4. Professor said, "I'm catching on to you. You never answer my questions. You just ask a completely unrelated question." Class laughed and nodded their heads.

Gunner announces enthusiastically during the middle of a spring semester class that grades had just been posted online for a fall semester class. Professor looks at him, annoyed, and continues on with discussion. All students immediately start logging in to check their grades. After he sees his grades, he turns around and looks at my friends and I, mouth gaping open, confused expression in his eyes, and says, "How??...." We say, "Excuse me?" Then he fixes his facial expression, says, "I totally agree with that comment you made earlier," and turns back around. I hate rejoicing in other people's failures or whatever, but I won't lie. I totally felt vindicated knowing his grade shocked him. He always blabs the most pointless crap ever in class.

orm518

Postby orm518 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:18 am

Was I the only one hoping for a YouTube video when I saw the thread title?

Law Revue get on it... (or not, the meme is pretty tired)

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:40 am

Jessuf wrote:The 1,2,3,4 format doesn't apply to my story, but one of the gunners pitched a hissy fit that all of our professors preferred cold calling over taking volunteers. He spoke with the professors. They didn't care. He went to the registrar to see if he could be switched to another section so that he could rest easy knowing the other professors would not ignore him when he raised his hand 5 million times a class. I haven't seen him in a while. Not sure if they obliged him or if he dropped out. He always talked about how he had been IQ tested as a genius, had an amazing LSAT score, and would be transferring to HYS because he knew he would be ranked #1. I go to a TTT, mind you.

He transfered to HY and S after his practise final score came out.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:47 am

JoeFish wrote:We had a mandatory 1L career workshop. Pretty boring, but you know, presentations on networking and whatnot. We were split into two sections; one would see presentation A and the other B, and then they'd switch and the like.

The one career services dude gave us a presentation that lasted 30 minutes. For the other group, it lasted about 70 minutes because a college freshman had sneaked in and began asking dozens of questions about legal employment. I'm surprised he wasn't literally murdered.

looool. That is one ballsy college freshman.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:29 am

orm518 wrote:Was I the only one hoping for a YouTube video when I saw the thread title?

No you werent :P it's a rather big "thing" right now so I thought someone actually made one :(

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:43 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
JoeFish wrote:We had a mandatory 1L career workshop. Pretty boring, but you know, presentations on networking and whatnot. We were split into two sections; one would see presentation A and the other B, and then they'd switch and the like.

Hahaha. They start earlier and earlier every year. Gunners gonna gun...or something like that.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:31 pm

LawMan20 wrote:
Teoeo wrote:meow

That post accompanied by the avatar made me laugh.

Edit: haha, and every other time I look at it. ---- Definitely one of my new favorite poasters.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:38 pm

desertlaw wrote:1. Contracts

2. Another kid was trying to say something about some topic, not sure exactly the details.

3. Gunner hops in and says: "I think what Another Kid was trying to say, but JUST COULDN'T ARTICULATE GOOD ENOUGH, was that blah blah blah (something that sounded pretty articulate)."

4. In Gunner's defense, I think Gunner has a kind heart and didn't realize how Gunnerish the statement came across.

Am I the only one that cringed at "articulate GOOD enough"? If you're gonna gun, use proper grammar.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:32 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

A college student sat in on a friend of mine's crim law class and he was a proto-gunner. To make matters worse, the professor gave the kid the power to pick who got cold called and the guy got drunk with power.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:09 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
desertlaw wrote:1. Contracts

2. Another kid was trying to say something about some topic, not sure exactly the details.

3. Gunner hops in and says: "I think what Another Kid was trying to say, but JUST COULDN'T ARTICULATE GOOD ENOUGH, was that blah blah blah (something that sounded pretty articulate)."

4. In Gunner's defense, I think Gunner has a kind heart and didn't realize how Gunnerish the statement came across.

Am I the only one that cringed at "articulate GOOD enough"? If you're gonna gun, use proper grammar.

Same, corrected that in my head while reading it

NeighborGuy

Postby NeighborGuy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 am

We have a gunner who speaks only in random sprayings of black letter law vomit. It's like he's a vacuum cleaner for legalese that goes on reverse every time he tries to answer a question. The other day in Contracts he raised his hand to answer a simple question about consideration and spoke for about 2 minutes, shoehorning in three or four irrelevant concepts that we hadn't even covered yet. One time in Torts the prof mentioned diversity jurisdiction in passing, and he responds by mumbling to himself, "requires a complete diversity of parties and a claim for relief exceeding $75,000..."

He's like this even in casual conversation. That part is extra weird. :?

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:50 am

NeighborGuy wrote:He's like this even in casual conversation. That part is extra weird. :?

Hmm... That is odd but in all seriousness is maybe indicative of an Asperger's-spectrum condition or something like that

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:23 am

JoeFish wrote:
NeighborGuy wrote:He's like this even in casual conversation. That part is extra weird. :?

Hmm... That is odd but in all seriousness is maybe indicative of an Asperger's-spectrum condition or something like that

I kind of like it. Maybe it's a method of memorizing these phrases.

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Girl I've never spoken to: "Hi!!!" Me: "hi." "Have you gone to see Torts Prof about your Torts exam?" "Not yet." "I HAVE." "Was he harsh?" "Well, I wouldn't know...I mean he was pretty nice to me but that's because I got an A+" *smug smug smug*

This was in the library. I later heard her asking another table the same question.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:33 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:Girl I've never spoken to: "Hi!!!" Me: "hi." "Have you gone to see Torts Prof about your Torts exam?" "Not yet." "I HAVE." "Was he harsh?" "Well, I wouldn't know...I mean he was pretty nice to me but that's because I got an A+" *smug smug smug*

This was in the library. I later heard her asking another table the same question.

Kill her.

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:Girl I've never spoken to: "Hi!!!" Me: "hi." "Have you gone to see Torts Prof about your Torts exam?" "Not yet." "I HAVE." "Was he harsh?" "Well, I wouldn't know...I mean he was pretty nice to me but that's because I got an A+" *smug smug smug*

Kill her.

Considered it.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Kill her.

Make sure it's painful.

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Course: Property

Question: Some nonsense about void title and adverse possession.

Response: "WHEN I WAS AT MY (INSERT V10 HERE) 1L SA INTERVIEW LAST WEEK, the real estate partner and I talked about this and he said XYZ."

Class Reasction: General disbelief. Synchronized eye rolling. The professor told said gunner that he basically didn't give a shit. It was chill.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:44 pm

I thought students at my school were pretty bad but I can't recall one classroom incident in my two years in law school comparable to some of the douchebaggery in this thread.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”