Sh*t Gunners Say

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
2transferornot
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby 2transferornot » Wed May 16, 2012 10:17 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Anti-gunner story--

Kid sits in the front of my 1L contracts class. Never asks questions. Only takes notes on key material. Gives courtesy laughs to any gunners who say crazy things. Asks questions about material to his classmates. Struggles through his only cold call. Is shy and always smiles. Wears a bowtie and slacks to class. Sits down with different classmates pretty much every day at lunch tables. Is barely noticed by pretty much everyone of the 1Ls-- most of my buds don't even know who the guy is when I bring him up.

Gets maybe the highest 1L GPA anyone has ever gotten at Chicago.


Those two don't really seem to go together...unless..oh well, it's Chicago.

ninereal
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby ninereal » Thu May 17, 2012 12:21 am

Contracts, first semester. Williams v. Walker-Thomas Furniture Co. (the D.C. inner-city furniture store, impossible-to-understand contract provision, unconscionability case). Professor reads the relevant provisions, which for those who don't remember goes as follows:

"the amount of each periodical installment payment to be made by [purchaser] to the Company under this present lease shall be inclusive of and not in addition to the amount of each installment payment to be made by [purchaser] under such prior leases, bills or accounts; and all payments now and hereafter made by [purchaser] shall be credited pro rata on all outstanding leases, bills and accounts due the Company by [purchaser] at the time each such payment is made."

Gunner raises his hand and says something along the lines of "well, I don't see what's hard to understand about that at all. It's their fault for not being able to figure it out."

Magnificent
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Magnificent » Thu May 17, 2012 12:15 pm

2transferornot wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
2transferornot wrote:For people who do speak in class, it is fairly easy to guess whether they are going to do well or not based on what they say. For those who don't, obviously it is hard to tell. Speaking or not speaking has no correlation to how smart the student it. It's just a personality thing.


I disagree. I said some incredibly stupid things in classes I got As in. I had my best contributions in a class where the prof gave me my lowest grade. Success in a competitive law school isn't about contributions, its about throwing down the right form (and some substance) in the right length.


That is not what I meant - it does not work at a micro level. For people who talk a lot, it is fairly easy (at least for me :) ) to guess whether they are overall good analytical thinkers or not. That is to say, of say, the 5-6 people who spoke a lot in my 1L classes, I could easily tell that couple of them were making a lot of sense and a couple of them were bullshitting. The ones who were making a lot of sense ended up at the top of the class. Of course, there were a couple of people who didn't open their mouths that ended up at the top of the class as well.


thats pretty much been my experience as well....its pretty easy to tell from even the first day of law school who knows what they're talking about and who is just bs-ing

I never considered gunner those who spoke alot in class but made sense. To me gunners were always those guys who spoke alot but never really contributed anything because what they were saying was BS.

User avatar
Sapientia
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Sapientia » Thu May 17, 2012 12:38 pm

I used the fact that I got a 4.0 first semester to support an argument I was making in class second semester. Was that a gunnerish thing to do?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11743
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby ilovesf » Thu May 17, 2012 12:41 pm

Sapientia wrote:I used the fact that I got a 4.0 first semester to support an argument I was making in class second semester. Was that a gunnerish thing to do?

is this a joke?

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Jesus Christ I hope you are not this aspie in interviews

User avatar
Sapientia
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Sapientia » Thu May 17, 2012 12:46 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Sapientia wrote:I used the fact that I got a 4.0 first semester to support an argument I was making in class second semester. Was that a gunnerish thing to do?

is this a joke?


:oops: no. My original argument was getting eaten up by another classmate and I was so backed into a corner that I didn't know what to do.

Luckily, the prof scooped the conversation immediately thereafter, and I didn't hear anything about it after class so I don't think anyone made a big deal out of it.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11743
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby ilovesf » Thu May 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Sapientia wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Sapientia wrote:I used the fact that I got a 4.0 first semester to support an argument I was making in class second semester. Was that a gunnerish thing to do?

is this a joke?


:oops: no. My original argument was getting eaten up by another classmate and I was so backed into a corner that I didn't know what to do.

Luckily, the prof scooped the conversation immediately thereafter, and I didn't hear anything about it after class so I don't think anyone made a big deal out of it.

They were probably all laughing about it behind your back.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby blurbz » Thu May 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Sapientia wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Sapientia wrote:I used the fact that I got a 4.0 first semester to support an argument I was making in class second semester. Was that a gunnerish thing to do?

is this a joke?


:oops: no. My original argument was getting eaten up by another classmate and I was so backed into a corner that I didn't know what to do.

Luckily, the prof scooped the conversation immediately thereafter, and I didn't hear anything about it after class so I don't think anyone made a big deal out of it.




hahahahahhahahaha I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming this is still just a joke. If it's not.......Oy.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Nova » Thu May 17, 2012 1:03 pm

0L here. Does being a gunner require being obnoxious?? I already know Ill be awkward and silent in class (like I have been my entire life)... but Im still a competitve asshole who wants to be the best. Would that make me an undercover gunner??

Basically, IYO, is there a difference between a gunner and a harmless student who just tries too hard??

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu May 17, 2012 1:28 pm

Nova wrote:0L here. Does being a gunner require being obnoxious?? I already know Ill be awkward and silent in class (like I have been my entire life)... but Im still a competitve asshole who wants to be the best. Would that make me an undercover gunner??

Basically, IYO, is there a difference between a gunner and a harmless student who just tries too hard??


There are secret gunners, but they are not nearly as obnoxious as outright gunners. What with their secretive nature and all...

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Blindmelon » Thu May 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Tip to never being a gunner: never start a response with "in my experience", "when I used to work at" or relating a legal concept tangentially with another field or law class or bringing in outside knowledge. Theres a difference between raising your hand and adding to class discussion and just being a tool. The former is fine, and actually appreciated by people like me who never want to talk in class.

Syme
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Syme » Thu May 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Sapientia wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Sapientia wrote:I used the fact that I got a 4.0 first semester to support an argument I was making in class second semester. Was that a gunnerish thing to do?

is this a joke?


:oops: no. My original argument was getting eaten up by another classmate and I was so backed into a corner that I didn't know what to do.

Luckily, the prof scooped the conversation immediately thereafter, and I didn't hear anything about it after class so I don't think anyone made a big deal out of it.


this may be one of the top 3 most outrageous things on the Internet. I pray to God, for your sake and the sake of your progeny, that you are trollin us.

if this is real... I just can't fathom the total lack of self-awareness that this episode would require. I mean, it's actually kind of impressive.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Tanicius » Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Tip to never being a gunner: never start a response with "in my experience", "when I used to work at" or relating a legal concept tangentially with another field or law class or bringing in outside knowledge. Theres a difference between raising your hand and adding to class discussion and just being a tool. The former is fine, and actually appreciated by people like me who never want to talk in class.


I actually like those exchanges when the person's experience is on-point. It's great when a case concerns something medical or chemical and the biochem PhD in class raises his hand and points something out important about the facts or disagrees with the professor on an issue. I don't have any problem with that at all. FFS, they have a PhD in the material and in all probability they know more than the professor does about this subject matter. Usually the professor is happy enough to give them the point.

I'm fine with it even when it's something small like "I actually lived in that part of Jersey for a few years." One of my professors would often even look for these kinds of discussions by asking anyone with X experience or anyone who's lived in Y area to raise their hands.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby northwood » Thu May 17, 2012 2:47 pm

i only raised my hand to give a response if no one else did and the awkward silence was getting too awkward...

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11743
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby ilovesf » Thu May 17, 2012 2:48 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Tip to never being a gunner: never start a response with "in my experience", "when I used to work at" or relating a legal concept tangentially with another field or law class or bringing in outside knowledge. Theres a difference between raising your hand and adding to class discussion and just being a tool. The former is fine, and actually appreciated by people like me who never want to talk in class.


I actually like those exchanges when the person's experience is on-point. It's great when a case concerns something medical or chemical and the biochem PhD in class raises his hand and points something out important about the facts or disagrees with the professor on an issue. I don't have any problem with that at all. FFS, they have a PhD in the material and in all probability they know more than the professor does about this subject matter. Usually the professor is happy enough to give them the point.

I'm fine with it even when it's something small like "I actually lived in that part of Jersey for a few years." One of my professors would often even look for these kinds of discussions by asking anyone with X experience or anyone who's lived in Y area to raise their hands.

The problem is people always think they know more than they do, and that their experiences are relevant when they are not.

User avatar
Sapientia
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Sapientia » Thu May 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Syme wrote:
Sapientia wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Sapientia wrote:I used the fact that I got a 4.0 first semester to support an argument I was making in class second semester. Was that a gunnerish thing to do?

is this a joke?


:oops: no. My original argument was getting eaten up by another classmate and I was so backed into a corner that I didn't know what to do.

Luckily, the prof scooped the conversation immediately thereafter, and I didn't hear anything about it after class so I don't think anyone made a big deal out of it.


this may be one of the top 3 most outrageous things on the Internet. I pray to God, for your sake and the sake of your progeny, that you are trollin us.

if this is real... I just can't fathom the total lack of self-awareness that this episode would require. I mean, it's actually kind of impressive.


Eh, whatever. I'm just glad 1L is over now. Clearly, it was a blood bath at times.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Sapientia wrote:
Syme wrote:
this may be one of the top 3 most outrageous things on the Internet. I pray to God, for your sake and the sake of your progeny, that you are trollin us.

if this is real... I just can't fathom the total lack of self-awareness that this episode would require. I mean, it's actually kind of impressive.



Eh, whatever. I'm just glad 1L is over now. Clearly, it was a blood bath at times.


If you are getting that worked up over an in class argument - you are a horrible gunner.

I was serious about the interview thing btw. There's a 2l at the top of my class who struck out because he's so socially awkward. Don't be the new that guy.

User avatar
Sapientia
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Sapientia » Thu May 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Sapientia wrote:
Syme wrote:
this may be one of the top 3 most outrageous things on the Internet. I pray to God, for your sake and the sake of your progeny, that you are trollin us.

if this is real... I just can't fathom the total lack of self-awareness that this episode would require. I mean, it's actually kind of impressive.



Eh, whatever. I'm just glad 1L is over now. Clearly, it was a blood bath at times.


If you are getting that worked up over an in class argument - you are a horrible gunner.

I was serious about the interview thing btw. There's a 2l at the top of my class who struck out because he's so socially awkward. Don't be the new that guy.


LOL must suck to be that guy

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby 071816 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:57 pm

Sapientia wrote:I used the fact that I got a 4.0 first semester to support an argument I was making in class second semester. Was that a gunnerish thing to do?

I strongly dislike you.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby sunynp » Thu May 17, 2012 5:04 pm

chimp wrote:
Sapientia wrote:I used the fact that I got a 4.0 first semester to support an argument I was making in class second semester. Was that a gunnerish thing to do?

I strongly dislike you.


LOL. Gunner brings gunning ways to TLS. (not-so) Humble- brag about 4.0 first semester.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 5:07 pm

sunynp wrote:
chimp wrote:
Sapientia wrote:I used the fact that I got a 4.0 first semester to support an argument I was making in class second semester. Was that a gunnerish thing to do?

I strongly dislike you.


LOL. Gunner brings gunning ways to TLS. (not-so) Humble- brag about 4.0 first semester.


If you are not familiar with Sapentia's spectacular body of work his other hits include being upset when he first received his 4.0 because he had all As but no A+s and complaining that it is "awful" having a 4.0 because second semester the only direction he can go is down.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby sunynp » Thu May 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
sunynp wrote:
chimp wrote:
Sapientia wrote:I used the fact that I got a 4.0 first semester to support an argument I was making in class second semester. Was that a gunnerish thing to do?

I strongly dislike you.


LOL. Gunner brings gunning ways to TLS. (not-so) Humble- brag about 4.0 first semester.


If you are not familiar with Sapentia's spectacular body of work his other hits include being upset when he first received his 4.0 because he had all As but no A+s and complaining that it is "awful" having a 4.0 because second semester the only direction he can go is down.


LOL. Gunner, insecure and neurotic. Or maybe all gunners are insecure and neurotic, that is what drives them.

(also he's incorrect, couldn't he aim for all A+ this semester? )

User avatar
Sapientia
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Sapientia » Thu May 17, 2012 5:24 pm

sunynp wrote:LOL. Gunner, insecure and neurotic. Or maybe all gunners are insecure and neurotic, that is what drives them.

(also he's incorrect, couldn't he aim for all A+ this semester? )


Yea but I'd end up with the same GPA. Hence, my disappointment with the fact that the only place my GPA can go is down.

User avatar
Bless
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

Re: Sh*t Gunners Say

Postby Bless » Thu May 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
drs36 wrote:1. Crim
2. Discussing time required for thought in premeditation and deliberation
3. "In my research, before law school, I found that it only takes nano-seconds to form a thought. My research would show that premeditation and deliberation can be instantaneous."
4. Collect head banging on desks


I did do the research moron. Just because you didn't accomplish anything before law school doesn't make my projects any less insightful. There was no collective head banging, infact the professor agreed with during office hours when we discussed my research.

LMFAO


10/10, my friend. Well done.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests