1L social dynamics in the spring

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
IAFG

Re: 1L social dynamics in the spring

Postby IAFG » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:10 pm

johansantana21 wrote:I did well 1st semester. I never volunteered. I doubt I'll ever volunteer 2nd semester.

Please explain what this contributed to the thread other than allowing you to brag.

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:10 pm

Sirius wrote:Your school sounds like it sucks

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:11 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:
dreakol wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:half of the people who always raised their hand in class are on academic probation at my school. I somewhat respect that they haven't changed, but it still annoys me.

The cliques, definately has become more obvious.

how do you know they are on academic probation?

If your gpa falls below a certain point you have to take a seperate class. They are in that class.

...what school do you go to?

A HUGE part of me is indeed hoping this is true. Small part of me is saying "that's terrible"

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:19 pm

shock259 wrote:Random:
I plan on hanging out with as many of my non-LS friends as I can this semester, just like last semester.

Your WHAT?!

ap1987

Postby ap1987 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:54 am

I found the opposite. People seem to be friendlier this semester, and most of the same "gunners" are raising their hands every class.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 am

IAFG wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:I did well 1st semester. I never volunteered. I doubt I'll ever volunteer 2nd semester.

Please explain what this contributed to the thread other than allowing you to brag.

Countering the point people were making that people who were silent 1st semester suddenly raise their hands and volunteer more once their 1st semester grades come back.

Now please explain why you post such douchey comments without even reading the thread or taking the time to actually think before posting.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:35 am

johansantana21 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Countering the point people were making that people who were silent 1st semester suddenly raise their hands and volunteer more once their 1st semester grades come back.

Now please explain why you post such douchey comments without even reading the thread or taking the time to actually think before posting.

Actually, what I wrote was:
People who were cocky at the beginning of last semester are a little more quiet now and aren't raising their hands so much in class.

Your original post referenced the OP, which is why I'm replying btw.

And the thread had nothing to do with how well anyone did first semester either. Looks like IAFG isn't the one who read the thread wrong or didn't think before posting.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:43 am

OP, what school do you go to? Unless I'm just unconscionably oblivious I don't think my LS is like this at all, and what you describe sounds weird and awful.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:59 am

Bildungsroman wrote:OP, what school do you go to? Unless I'm just unconscionably oblivious I don't think my LS is like this at all, and what you describe sounds weird and awful.

BC. It's actually a sociable, kinda fratty school - we have parties and bar reviews and stuff going on all the time - and I have good friends here, but I think some of the people are just weird.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:39 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Countering his generalization with your one single solitary data point? I read the whole fucking thread, which is how I came to notice your glaring douchebaggery.

charliep

Postby charliep » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:45 pm

wow, i thought bc was supposed to be relatively laid back

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Bildungsroman wrote: Unless I'm just unconscionably oblivious I don't think my LS is like this at all, and what you describe sounds weird and awful.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:39 pm

charliep wrote:wow, i thought bc was supposed to be relatively laid back

You know, this is a good point and probably explains my reaction to BC.

I went to a VERY chilled out undergrad. Major party school, big Greek scene, lots of cool people, etc. No bitchery, gunner behavior, or coldness of any kind. So maybe that explains why BC seems a little different to me. Not intolerable or horrible, but just really weird in the sense that people are more uptight, colder and cliquier, more ambitious, neurotic and competitive, etc. I thought I was cold/a gunner by the standards of my undergrad, but I'm kind of friendly compared to a lot of people in my section.

I can't imagine what other schools like Penn are like if BC is considered laid back, lol.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:56 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:I agree with a lot of posters that my section has a lot of really normal, cool people to talk to. There are cliques, but they are interchangeable and everybody gets along pretty well.

The only thing that is driving me nuts is people are relentless asking me about my grades. I told people last semester that I was going to keep grades to myself, whether I got an A or a C. But people keep on asking and it's driving me nuts.

I don't know whether to just tell people so they shut the hell up or just wait and let the obsession with first semester grades die down. I did pretty well (top 10%), so either choice seems like a lose-lose, so who cares.

Generally avoid talking about your grades/ class rank/ LR/ scholarships/ clerkships unless people specifically ask. This is the best way to avoid awkward, butt-hurt situations.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:03 pm

thesteelers wrote:

I went to a VERY chilled out undergrad. Major party school, big Greek scene, lots of cool people, etc. No bitchery, gunner behavior, or coldness of any kind. So maybe that explains why BC seems a little different to me. Not intolerable or horrible, but just really weird in the sense that people are more uptight, colder and cliquier, more ambitious, neurotic and competitive, etc. I thought I was cold/a gunner by the standards of my undergrad, but I'm kind of friendly compared to a lot of people in my section.

I can't imagine what other schools like Penn are like if BC is considered laid back, lol.

My experience was a total reverse. There was such an enormous percentage of total asshats, or whatnot, at my UG that my undergrad is to law school as boot camp is to a day at the beach. Sort of. People at LS are, for the most part, so much more nice and genuine and not douches. That being said, most of the people in the Greek scene at my school (of which I was a part) were decidedly not cool people.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:07 pm

thesteelers wrote:

I think the 1L class here this year is pretty different from some of the ones before us.. we are the first group that was fully informed about the horrible job market going into it and i think it definitely has an effect on people's general attitude at the school.. i noticed this even first semester and professors have said the same thing.. i had one professor from last semester tell me it was the most uptight room of law students that he had ever taught.. so its likely a mix in my mind of all of us knowing we still took the plunge with shitty job prospects if we dont do well and that its obviously going to be more competitive than most UG

edit: i should add that this is just one view obvi.. ive found my experience at law school to be an absolute waste of time so far and see no relevance in any of the work that im required to do over the next 2.5 years.. its tough to have fun in a classroom or in the library once you come to that realization.. plus i know a few people in my section who are mad about their experience after taking exams and realizing memorizing stuff about cases didnt help them.. in my personal view its probably a mix of all of this stuff

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:58 am

I'm pretty shocked people would ask about grades. That's like asking what your co-worker's salary is, I think. I'd sooner talk about religion and politics than ask someone their grades or salary.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:26 am

I think sharing grades with even your closest LS friends is tricksy. I gave my best friend an idea of my gpa/ranking because he kept bugging me, and he freaked out and got really upset. I also don't like how my school publishes names for dean's list because that's only 4 people for the 1L class, and then my entire 1L class will know my rank.

I don't want for this post to somehow sound like bragging. I just really want the issue of grades to go away or for me to blend into the background.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:58 am

BlueDiamond wrote:
thesteelers wrote:

I think the 1L class here this year is pretty different from some of the ones before us.. we are the first group that was fully informed about the horrible job market going into it and i think it definitely has an effect on people's general attitude at the school.. i noticed this even first semester and professors have said the same thing.. i had one professor from last semester tell me it was the most uptight room of law students that he had ever taught.. so its likely a mix in my mind of all of us knowing we still took the plunge with shitty job prospects if we dont do well and that its obviously going to be more competitive than most UG

edit: i should add that this is just one view obvi.. ive found my experience at law school to be an absolute waste of time so far and see no relevance in any of the work that im required to do over the next 2.5 years.. its tough to have fun in a classroom or in the library once you come to that realization.. plus i know a few people in my section who are mad about their experience after taking exams and realizing memorizing stuff about cases didnt help them.. in my personal view its probably a mix of all of this stuff

I haven't had a bad experience at BC. I feel like it's pretty laid back. I mean... you can't expect it to be as laid back as undergrad, because we're law students and by nature a little more uptight. In our section, everyone acts pretty much the same as they did first semester. Gunners still gun, the same people raise their hands, etc. There are certainly cliques, but no one has made themselves inaccessible. I still talk to all the same people that I talked to last semester, plus a few more because of new seating/classes/just getting to know people better.

I don't really feel like anything's changed at all, even after getting grades back.

lmtt

Postby lmtt » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:24 am

I am also a 1L at BC and I haven't noticed any change. There may be one or two gunners in my section but the students are about 100 times less competitive than I thought they would be going in. I have also found everyone to be super friendly and helpful. No offense, but after looking at the OP's posts, I think its more her than the school...

LawMan20

Postby LawMan20 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:10 am

lmtt wrote:I am also a 1L at BC and I haven't noticed any change. There may be one or two gunners in my section but the students are about 100 times less competitive than I thought they would be going in. I have also found everyone to be super friendly and helpful. No offense, but after looking at the OP's posts, I think its more her than the school...

Same here. Not at BC, but everyone at my school seems the exact same. Same people talk in class, same people hang out with the same people, everyone is nice to each other, etc.....

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:13 am

Bildungsroman wrote:OP, what school do you go to? Unless I'm just unconscionably oblivious I don't think my LS is like this at all, and what you describe sounds weird and awful.

+1

breadbucket

Postby breadbucket » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:48 am

AVBucks4239 wrote:I agree with a lot of posters that my section has a lot of really normal, cool people to talk to. There are cliques, but they are interchangeable and everybody gets along pretty well.

The only thing that is driving me nuts is people are relentless asking me about my grades. I told people last semester that I was going to keep grades to myself, whether I got an A or a C. But people keep on asking and it's driving me nuts.

I don't know whether to just tell people so they shut the hell up or just wait and let the obsession with first semester grades die down. I did pretty well (top 10%), so either choice seems like a lose-lose, so who cares.

Why put the target on your back? If people are known to backstab and sabotage, its clear their motives for asking are inherently self interested. Whats never made sense to me is why people at the top of the curve (10-15 %) backstab and gun against each other, it would make much more sense to band together, use collective intelligence, and increase the gap from those in the 50-25 %.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”