Antitrust supplement?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Antilles Haven

Antitrust supplement?

Postby Antilles Haven » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:53 am

Has anyone taken this and found one they really liked?

monkey85

Re: Antitrust supplement?

Postby monkey85 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:00 am

Also interested.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:55 am

monkey85 wrote:Also interested.

+1

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:57 am

Reading Posner's Antitrust Law right now. I've found it useful for thinking about the economics involved.

Antilles Haven

Postby Antilles Haven » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:04 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Reading Posner's Antitrust Law right now. I've found it useful for thinking about the economics involved.

My professor just went 40 minutes talking about the rule of Queen Elizabeth, King James, and playing cards. I don't think we're going to get into the economics very much.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Antilles Haven wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:Reading Posner's Antitrust Law right now. I've found it useful for thinking about the economics involved.

My professor just went 40 minutes talking about the rule of Queen Elizabeth, King James, and playing cards. I don't think we're going to get into the economics very much.

That blows my mind. Antitrust is all economics lol.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Antilles Haven wrote:Has anyone taken this and found one they really liked?

I did some searching and found nothing. I'd suggest finding a good outline that ties everything together because it's easy to get lost among the trees without seeing the forest. Antitrust is a compilation of a handful of overarching economic principles and policies that apply to different types of business activities. My prof taught antitrust in a "historical" approach, highlighting how the law has changed since the late 1800s. I don't know if that was the most helpful way to do it, but he argued that antitrust law changes in "periods" which vacillate between different approaches, therefore making it helpful to understand how predecessor courts dealt with issues, should those issues arise again. Other profs, however, might not use this approach, instead focusing more on current law and how antitrust is moving toward FTC/DOJ/circuit court domain instead of myriad SCOTUS pronouncements. Thus, find a good outline from someone who took your professor's class, and refer to it as you read, etc.

Paichka

Postby Paichka » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:19 pm

I think the Antitrust treatise by Hovenkamp/Areeda is supposed to be the best. It's one of those green-backed monstrosities, though, so if you don't want to drop the $$$ just use it at the library. I also used the Hovenkamp blackletter outline; I thought it did a great job of pulling the various pieces together.**

Ideally, what you want is something that's going to explain the four major periods in Antitrust law -- understanding the development of the law is as important as understanding what the law is today. At least that was the case with the way my professor taught the class. You want to understand how different economic theories interact with the caselaw, and I thought that the Hovenkamp treatise (and to a lesser extent the outline) did a great job of interweaving the cases and the policy.

**[Edited for epic toolishness]
Last edited by Paichka on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Paichka wrote:**Full disclosure, I got an A- in antitrust, so maybe it didn't help that much. :)

:roll:

Paichka

Postby Paichka » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:05 pm

goodolgil wrote:
Paichka wrote:**Full disclosure, I got an A- in antitrust, so maybe it didn't help that much. :)

:roll:

I'm sorry, that did look awful, didn't it? I just meant that it wasn't the be-all-and-end-all; one of my friends didn't use any supplements at all and booked the class.

Ugh, now I feel like such a tool. Anyhoo, my recommendation stands, I guess.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Was not a fan of the E&E. But I don't like E&E's in general and only bought it because that was all I could find on Amazon. I used it a bit to fill in gaps, though. Also, a lot of antitrust is basically going to be whatever economic theories your prof wants you to know and he/she will probably emphasize those. So I'd wait until you can figure that out before buying a supplement or consider not using one.

(I have no grade yet, so I have no clue if this advice is good or not. Probably not considering it was one of my many classes filled with LR people and clerkship gunners)

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:15 pm

keg411 wrote:Was not a fan of the E&E. But I don't like E&E's in general and only bought it because that was all I could find on Amazon. I used it a bit to fill in gaps, though. Also, a lot of antitrust is basically going to be whatever economic theories your prof wants you to know and he/she will probably emphasize those. So I'd wait until you can figure that out before buying a supplement or consider not using one.

(I have no grade yet, so I have no clue if this advice is good or not. Probably not considering it was one of my many classes filled with LR people and clerkship gunners)

Who teaches antitrust at your school that would be of interest to clerkship gunners?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:25 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
keg411 wrote:Was not a fan of the E&E. But I don't like E&E's in general and only bought it because that was all I could find on Amazon. I used it a bit to fill in gaps, though. Also, a lot of antitrust is basically going to be whatever economic theories your prof wants you to know and he/she will probably emphasize those. So I'd wait until you can figure that out before buying a supplement or consider not using one.

Who teaches antitrust at your school that would be of interest to clerkship gunners?

I doubt it was my prof... just repeating what some people told me about the makeup of the class since I didn't really know anyone in it. Could be wrong, though, and it could have just been the 3L LR kids.

ajmax8

Postby ajmax8 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Like Big Shrimpin, I had a professor who did the same thing, teaching from a 'historical' approach. Didn't use a supplement but did well and have an outline, which is more like a case brief of every case we read cuz I was too lazy to make a "proper" outline. I'll pm it if someone wants it. also, Big shrimpin, sent you a pm!

Antilles Haven

Postby Antilles Haven » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:31 pm

ajmax8 wrote:Like Big Shrimpin, I had a professor who did the same thing, teaching from a 'historical' approach. Didn't use a supplement but did well and have an outline, which is more like a case brief of every case we read cuz I was too lazy to make a "proper" outline. I'll pm it if someone wants it. also, Big shrimpin, sent you a pm!

If you pm'd this to me I would destroy you with internet love and affection.

ajmax8

Postby ajmax8 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Antilles Haven wrote:
ajmax8 wrote:Like Big Shrimpin, I had a professor who did the same thing, teaching from a 'historical' approach. Didn't use a supplement but did well and have an outline, which is more like a case brief of every case we read cuz I was too lazy to make a "proper" outline. I'll pm it if someone wants it. also, Big shrimpin, sent you a pm!

If you pm'd this to me I would destroy you with internet love and affection.

sent pm

skamike

Postby skamike » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:30 pm

I took Antitrust last semester. Sullivan's Understanding Antitrust and it's Economic Implications was key.

Also, for a free resource, check out J.J. Mile's Health Care and Antitrust Law Treatise on Westlaw. Don't let the helathcare part fool you though. The first half lays out antitrust law beautifully.

Those two resources were golden

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:37 pm

skamike wrote:I took Antitrust last semester. Sullivan's Understanding Antitrust and it's Economic Implications was key.

Also, for a free resource, check out J.J. Mile's Health Care and Antitrust Law Treatise on Westlaw. Don't let the helathcare part fool you though. The first half lays out antitrust law beautifully.

The first one sounds promising. My prof is incredibly economics heavy. Same situation for you?

morris248

Postby morris248 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Nutshell has a supplement but I have no idea how good it is

Antitrust Law And Economics In A Nutshell

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:42 pm

For anyone who has an economics-heavy professor, check out and read the third chapter of Posner's book. It contains a list and explanation of economic factors that can be used in any analysis.

skamike

Postby skamike » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:28 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:
skamike wrote:I took Antitrust last semester. Sullivan's Understanding Antitrust and it's Economic Implications was key.

The first one sounds promising. My prof is incredibly economics heavy. Same situation for you?

My prof wasn't that economics-heavy. A bit at the beginning, but then it tapered off. Don't let the title fool you though, it is a great basic antitrust supplement. However, I do recommend my second choice as well. Take a look at it if you need guidance on specific topics (Relevant geographical market, tying agreements, etc)

floggered

Postby floggered » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:09 pm

morris248 wrote:Nutshell has a supplement but I have no idea how good it is

Antitrust Law And Economics In A Nutshell

For what it's worth, my prof recommends this one. He claims the SCOTUS even cites it discretely. So far, it's pretty good, but the obvious drawback is that it doesn't do a great job of organizing the material into quick, BLL topics like an Emanuel would.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”