Yet another supplements question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
incase2011

Yet another supplements question

Postby incase2011 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:38 pm

I'm at a school that tends to favor the traditional Wolters Kluwer textbooks as I'm sure most do. Can someone rattle of quickly the best supplements for Property, CivPro, and ConLaw. Also, it would really help me if you could explain what you're recommending. Is it an outline? How should I use it? I very much appreciate the help. Trying to boost my grades lol, we'll see how that goes.

Always Credited

Re: Yet another supplements question

Postby Always Credited » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:46 pm

incase2011 wrote:I'm at a school that tends to favor the traditional Wolters Kluwer textbooks as I'm sure most do. Can someone rattle of quickly the best supplements for Property, CivPro, and ConLaw. Also, it would really help me if you could explain what you're recommending. Is it an outline? How should I use it? I very much appreciate the help. Trying to boost my grades lol, we'll see how that goes.

Property - Sprankling (Understanding Property - a short treatise on the subject).
CivPro - Glannon (E&E and the Multiple Choice book)
ConLaw - Chemerinsky (Constitutional Law, Principles and Policies - treatise on the subject).

For all, I'd recommend that you read them to supplement your understanding of what your professor covers in class, since these are survey courses and what you actually cover is at your professor's (not the supplement author's) discretion.

Ex., do your assigned reading. Take notes. Then, find the corresponding part of the supplement that you just covered/are covering. Read that. Add this into notes. Repeat.

incase2011

Postby incase2011 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:52 pm

Got it. Exactly what I plan to do. What are you talking about with the civpro multiple choice book? What is that?

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:00 pm

I second the Civ Pro E&E recommendation, but I didn't use it until the end of the semester. After I made my outline, I used the E&E to make sure I was understanding everything correctly and refine/shorten my outline. Finally, I used the hypos at the end of each chapter to make sure that each section of my outline was workable before I started taking practice tests.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:18 pm

incase2011 wrote:Got it. Exactly what I plan to do. What are you talking about with the civpro multiple choice book? What is that?

Glannon has two excellent CivPro supplements; the E&E of course, but also another book called the Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure which is a book of multiple choice questions and explanations, as well as the relevant black letter law. I'll link it here.

http://www.amazon.com/Glannon-Guide-Civ ... 019&sr=1-3

I recommend using both.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but my friend is offering to sell me his CivPro E&E (sixth ed) for $10. Is it safe to assume that a new edition won't be coming out for next year?

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Not to hijack the thread, but my friend is offering to sell me his CivPro E&E (sixth ed) for $10. Is it safe to assume that a new edition won't be coming out for next year?

I have no idea, but even if it does, the 6th edition is only outdated in a couple of sections. The rest of it is still really useful. I'm not sure would be worth the difference in price even if there were a 7th edition available.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:17 am

Always Credited wrote:
incase2011 wrote:I'm at a school that tends to favor the traditional Wolters Kluwer textbooks as I'm sure most do. Can someone rattle of quickly the best supplements for Property, CivPro, and ConLaw. Also, it would really help me if you could explain what you're recommending. Is it an outline? How should I use it? I very much appreciate the help. Trying to boost my grades lol, we'll see how that goes.

Property - Sprankling (Understanding Property - a short treatise on the subject).
ConLaw - Chemerinsky (Constitutional Law, Principles and Policies - treatise on the subject).

For all, I'd recommend that you read them to supplement your understanding of what your professor covers in class, since these are survey courses and what you actually cover is at your professor's (not the supplement author's) discretion.

Ex., do your assigned reading. Take notes. Then, find the corresponding part of the supplement that you just covered/are covering. Read that. Add this into notes. Repeat.

same, except I would recommend you skim the supplement before you cover that topic in class [liek immediately before you do the reading to give you a nice backdrop so that you understand the big picture f what youre reading and why youre reading it], then do the reading, go to class--take notes, outline every two weeks so its all fresh in your mind and use the supplement while you outline as well [read it more carefully this time]

oh, and i add gilbert's for property, and law in a flash for property

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:17 am

Always Credited wrote:

same, except I would recommend you skim the supplement before you cover that topic in class [liek immediately before you do the reading to give you a nice backdrop so that you understand the big picture f what youre reading and why youre reading it], then do the reading, go to class--take notes, outline every two weeks so its all fresh in your mind and use the supplement while you outline as well [read it more carefully this time]

oh, and i add gilbert's for property, and law in a flash for property

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”