General networking/career advice for a 1L?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
croggs

General networking/career advice for a 1L?

Postby croggs » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi all,

I go to a lower T2, but I finished towards the top of my class. I failed to realize the importance of networking during my time as an accounting undergrad/grad, and I'd like to avoid that problem again. I'm essentially looking for any advice (even very general) about both:
1) networking/getting a summer job (ie. resume, interviewing, importance of recruitment events, etc.) and
2) good ways to explore possible fields of law to specialize in or what types of jobs entail (ie. small firm vs. large firm vs. government position).

Thanks in advance! Please let me know if you think I should pinpoint anything.

nStiver

Re: General networking/career advice for a 1L?

Postby nStiver » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:30 am

I want info on this too. I feel that I do not "network" enough, whatever the hell that means anyway.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:23 pm

I find it fascinating that posts like these receive such a lack-luster response compared to other more doom & gloom posts.
Networking is essential to your success no matter which field you're in. In the legal field I would imagine networking is exponentially much more important.
Personally, I got involved in politics. Which in turn grew my professional and social circles by leaps and bounds. I got appointed to committee's and volunteered on boards. 80% of the politicians I know were or are attorneys.
I would advise getting added to various event invite lists. Most of the time when someone throws an event, they are highly appreciative of everyone that attends whether small or medium sized event. Attend ALL county, state BAR networking mixers, get business cards, and follow up!
Once you get that stack of business cards do yourself a favor and set yourself a calender reminder every six months to reach out to those individuals.
Send that person an email asking a relevant question pertaining to their field whether you really need the input or not! The point is staying in contact!!
Once you begin making your rounds to various events you'll start to see familiar faces, and more importantly, they'll start to see yours!
Last summer I got invited to pool party full of high profile attorneys, and connected with each and every one I met through Facebook and still keep in contact.
Lawyers love to party,they especially love to party with other lawyers. They'll love to have you around as a law student, and you'll love being around practicing attorneys who act just like everyday normal folks!

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:14 pm

The poster above is correct. Three things I would add: make an effort to not eat alone, be nice to everyone, and be helpful. Basically, learn about the people around you and be a good friend.
Sometimes people talk about "networking" like it is a special thing, but it is just making contact with your fellow human.

croggs

Postby croggs » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:47 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:I find it fascinating that posts like these receive such a lack-luster response compared to other more doom & gloom posts.
Networking is essential to your success no matter which field you're in. In the legal field I would imagine networking is exponentially much more important.
Personally, I got involved in politics. Which in turn grew my professional and social circles by leaps and bounds. I got appointed to committee's and volunteered on boards. 80% of the politicians I know were or are attorneys.
I would advise getting added to various event invite lists. Most of the time when someone throws an event, they are highly appreciative of everyone that attends whether small or medium sized event. Attend ALL county, state BAR networking mixers, get business cards, and follow up!
Once you get that stack of business cards do yourself a favor and set yourself a calender reminder every six months to reach out to those individuals.
Send that person an email asking a relevant question pertaining to their field whether you really need the input or not! The point is staying in contact!!
Once you begin making your rounds to various events you'll start to see familiar faces, and more importantly, they'll start to see yours!
Last summer I got invited to pool party full of high profile attorneys, and connected with each and every one I met through Facebook and still keep in contact.
Lawyers love to party,they especially love to party with other lawyers. They'll love to have you around as a law student, and you'll love being around practicing attorneys who act just like everyday normal folks!

Thanks! Any advice for trying to decide what type of law or type of job you want to do when you get out of school (if you didn't have an idea before beginning law school)?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:45 pm

On this general networking. Is it better to give out an email with your school's name in the address or better to just give your normal email if it is professional looking (i.e. name@gmail vs. name@columbia.edu)

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:49 pm

I always give out my gmail because it's my full name and my law school email is an incomprehensible jumble of numbers and letters. Don't think it matters much though, as long as the personal email is professional

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:02 pm

my school offers business card templates w/ our schools name and logo. Even if your school doesn't offer that it would be highly advantageous to quickly print up some cards on vistaprint so that you can pass them out when networking. I'd put something catchy like "Starving Law Student" on mine lol

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”