Should PT/evening students on the same curve as FT students?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ok2bedifferent

Should PT/evening students on the same curve as FT students?

Postby ok2bedifferent » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:06 am

As an evening student, I often notice that I get screwed by the curve when I take a class that is full of daytime/full-time students. I feel because I have other responsibilities (job, family, etc.), I cannot realistically dedicate my entire life to studying as most full-time students can. Is it an unfair advantage? Should they be graded on another curve and/or given separate class rankings?

nymario

Re: Should PT/evening students on the same curve as FT students?

Postby nymario » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:47 pm

As a full time student, I sometimes felt screwed during 1L by part-time students that don't have jobs and take 10 credits compared to 15 for full-timers.

Actually I don't, I wasn't actually curved against any part-timers in my program, but this is a very common feeling at my school, where 5 of the core 1L courses are about 75% full-time - 25% part time. The part-timers are curved against only each other for the remaining 2.5 classes during their summer.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:23 pm

I think it's something you accept, going into the program. In our school, evening/PT kids are curved against one another for the first year (we all take the same core classes together.) There's still the issue of the PT kids who DON'T work vs. those who DO (and have families, etc). It's just all part of what you know you'll be facing as a working student with a family (disclosure: I work FT and have kids.)

truevines

Postby truevines » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:11 pm

ok2bedifferent wrote:As an evening student, I often notice that I get screwed by the curve when I take a class that is full of daytime/full-time students. I feel because I have other responsibilities (job, family, etc.), I cannot realistically dedicate my entire life to studying as most full-time students can. Is it an unfair advantage? Should they be graded on another curve and/or given separate class rankings?

I think I get screwed by my classmates' family connections. They all have partner family, relatives, or friends. With simply a call, they get BigLaw offers.

I'm from a worker family; my family can't afford me those valuable connections. The firms are giving those rich kids unfair advantages. The firm should have separate recruiting processes based on applicants' parents' incomes and connections.

Suck it up, dood.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:53 pm

I work 20 hours a week as a 1L and take 16 credits, 5 classes, suck it up.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:07 pm

truevines wrote:Suck it up, dood.

:lol: This. Ignore what I said before. Just this.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:16 pm

nygrrrl wrote:I think it's something you accept, going into the program. In our school, evening/PT kids are curved against one another for the first year (we all take the same core classes together.) There's still the issue of the PT kids who DON'T work vs. those who DO (and have families, etc). It's just all part of what you know you'll be facing as a working student with a family (disclosure: I work FT and have kids.)

I just want to say, wow, I am really impressed. I don't care who you are graded against, a full-time working mother with kids-plural(!) -also going to law school part time is an impressive achievement. I'm really amazed that anyone can pull this off. (I would never in a million years have taken on this challenge.) That you are also able to post here and be so helpful to other students just makes you more awesome. You must be super organized, super patient and super efficient. Rock on girl. You rule.

BeaverHunter

Postby BeaverHunter » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:59 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:I work 20 hours a week as a 1L and take 16 credits, 5 classes, suck it up.

Is that supposed to be impressive? The average PT student works 40-50 hours per week and takes 10 credits which is a heavier load than you are taking on.

But yeah, suck it up. If you are concerned about grades, drop your work hours. If you are concerned about work, drop classes. Nothing revolutionary here.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:54 am

BeaverHunter wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:I work 20 hours a week as a 1L and take 16 credits, 5 classes, suck it up.

Is that supposed to be impressive? The average PT student works 40-50 hours per week and takes 10 credits which is a heavier load than you are taking on.

But yeah, suck it up. If you are concerned about grades, drop your work hours. If you are concerned about work, drop classes. Nothing revolutionary here.

No its not. How is 20 hours of work equal to 6 credit hours of law school? 2 of those 6 are LRW which is the heaviest class

rogermurdoch

Postby rogermurdoch » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:55 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
BeaverHunter wrote:

No its not. How is 20 hours of work equal to 6 credit hours of law school? 2 of those 6 are LRW which is the heaviest class

PT students have to take LRW too, bro.

rogermurdoch

Postby rogermurdoch » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:04 am

nymario wrote:As a full time student, I sometimes felt screwed during 1L by part-time students that don't have jobs and take 10 credits compared to 15 for full-timers.

Actually I don't, I wasn't actually curved against any part-timers in my program, but this is a very common feeling at my school, where 5 of the core 1L courses are about 75% full-time - 25% part time. The part-timers are curved against only each other for the remaining 2.5 classes during their summer.

Going in I felt like the unemployed PT students would have a huge advantage over everyone with full time jobs. Then I realized that most of the people who go PT without a job (or kids) do not have the drive to spend all that extra time studying.

BeaverHunter

Postby BeaverHunter » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:47 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
BeaverHunter wrote:

So your argument is that 6 credit hours of courses take 20 hours per week? If that is the case you are doing it wrong. PT students take LRW too. If LRW takes more work than your substantive classes you are doing that wrong too.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”