Yale. Torts Professor

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
safion

Yale. Torts Professor

Postby safion » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi,

is anyone here a student at Yale Law? One of the professors at Yale is a visiting professor at my school and I'm trying to find some outlines for Torts.

I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks!

LawSchoolSurvival

Re: Yale. Torts Professor

Postby LawSchoolSurvival » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:29 pm

I usually don't go off-topic, but since there are no replies, perhaps I can be a of some limited assistance.

Don't sweat it if you can't find an outline tailored to your professor, one of the best ways to commit any subject to memory is to create your own outline on that particular subject. Start early in the semester and revise it every few weeks with notes from class and your readings. When you are a few weeks from finals, start reducing it and organize it in the order by which you will be approaching the questions of law on a test. For example, your main headings might look like this: 1 - Was there a duty? 2 - Was the duty Breached? 3 - Was there a cause? 4 - Were there any damages? Ect... Then, do the same for the subheadings.

Building outlines comprised roughly 75% of my overall effort in each course, I used them to store my briefs for the next days class, to store my class notes, and almost all of of my finals preparation was simply revising & reducing these outlines. By finals week, I would have a very nice attack outline built, but it was usually of little use because I had already committed most of it to memory via the building process.

nymario

Postby nymario » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:01 am

LawSchoolSurvival wrote:
Building outlines comprised roughly 75% of my overall effort in each course

Protip: A whole comprises its parts. Not vice versa.

P.S. Creating your own outlines is a colossal waste of time.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:06 am

nymario wrote:P.S. Creating your own outlines is a colossal waste of time.

Thank you for that undeniably true no-exception blanket rule.

LawSchoolSurvival

Postby LawSchoolSurvival » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:21 am

Protip: Languages evolve, and the use of comprise has evolved as well. Oxford American Dictionaries note that the common usage of the word "Comprise" has evolved to describe the parts of a whole. Whether you agree with such change is a completely different argument.

sky7

Postby sky7 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:24 am

nymario wrote:
LawSchoolSurvival wrote:
Building outlines comprised roughly 75% of my overall effort in each course

Protip: A whole comprises its parts. Not vice versa.

P.S. Creating your own outlines is a colossal waste of time.

Only on TLS.

safion

Postby safion » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks, I think that's what I'm going to have to do this semester:) maybe its for the best.,,

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”