Corporate/Business Law

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
fish tacos

Corporate/Business Law

Postby fish tacos » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Last edited by fish tacos on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lincoln

Re: Corporate/Business Law

Postby Lincoln » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Seriously?

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Is this really that ridiculous of a question? I'm just wondering how much math is actually involved in some of those practice areas. I've made good grades, so the research/writing/"law" aspect is not something that intimidates me. I'd just like to know if those in corporate law spend as much time looking at excel spreadsheets as investment bankers do.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:06 pm

fish tacos wrote:Is this really that ridiculous of a question? I'm just wondering how much math is actually involved in some of those practice areas. I've made good grades, so the research/writing/"law" aspect is not something that intimidates me. I'd just like to know if those in corporate law spend as much time looking at excel spreadsheets as investment bankers do.

I'm pretty sure the finance guys do the finance stuff, you just look up the legal issues.

inthebeginning

Postby inthebeginning » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:09 pm

NYC Law wrote:
fish tacos wrote:Is this really that ridiculous of a question? I'm just wondering how much math is actually involved in some of those practice areas. I've made good grades, so the research/writing/"law" aspect is not something that intimidates me. I'd just like to know if those in corporate law spend as much time looking at excel spreadsheets as investment bankers do.

I'm pretty sure the finance guys do the finance stuff, you just look up the legal issues.

Genius description of corporate law

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:23 pm

inthebeginning wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

Simple question, simple answer.

Not likely you'll be running complex financial calculations since that's what they have finance guys for. You just look stuff up on west.
Either way, you can learn what you need in some corp law/corp finance courses in law school.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:28 am

NYC Law wrote:
inthebeginning wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

Simple question, simple answer.

Not likely you'll be running complex financial calculations since that's what they have finance guys for. You just look stuff up on west.
Either way, you can learn what you need in some corp law/corp finance courses in law school.

No, not really at all. You are way off.

To OP: You take precedent from the firm's database, copy and paste new terms in, and generally make sure "the deal" is running smoothly. You might study the terms in a purchase agreement or merger agreement to make sure they are specific enough, commas in the right place, etc. Most of the knowledge is accretive once you're on the job; no, you won't need to know finance shit. It's helpful to take corporations, securities regulation, and secured transactions if you want a taste of what it's sort of like

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:29 am

BunkMoreland wrote:No, not really at all. You are way off.

To OP: You take precedent from the firm's database, copy and paste new terms in, and generally make sure "the deal" is running smoothly. You might study the terms in a purchase agreement or merger agreement to make sure they are specific enough, commas in the right place, etc. Most of the knowledge is accretive once you're on the job; no, you won't need to know finance shit. It's helpful to take corporations, securities regulation, and secured transactions if you want a taste of what it's sort of like

Haven't taken any classes on it, just researched some smaller places that require more research for the types of transactions.

But either way, yeah you prob don't use west in typical transactional settings, but my main point was that finance guys handle the finance, legal handles legal - so you don't need to run the numbers.

dood

Postby dood » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:41 am

everything u need to know can be learned in law school; that being said, a finance background makes the above mentioned classes much easier. complicated shit no, but for sure u have to understand basic accounting and finance, yes. I.e. in all above mentioned classes a very basic calculator was allowed on final.

dood

Postby dood » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:44 am

also PROTIP: no law firm is "prestigious"

memo2partner

Postby memo2partner » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:15 am

I don't know if you will be lost, but you might be bored out of your mind. Probably do a lot of M&A crap, know how to look at the bylaws, corporate charter, explain defensive measures (chewable pills, deadhand pills, etc).

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:33 am

This is why XO thinks this site is retarded.

alabamabound

Postby alabamabound » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:54 am

Desert Fox wrote:This is why XO thinks this site is retarded.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”