bird in hand vs. birds in bush

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nixxers

bird in hand vs. birds in bush

Postby nixxers » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Yesterday I had a great interview at a small firm for a summer position (I'm a 1L). I really liked it, the position sounds great (lots of substantive work, get to work closely w/ the attorneys, on issues I care about). Today I sent a follow-up thank you and a writing sample, and this afternoon the guy called me to offer me the job.

It sounds great! The only thing is yesterday I found out I got 8 interviews for other positions through a job fair... on january 26 and 27. Although I'd love to work at this place, I'm REALLY excited about some of the other interviews I got, and I just don't want to necessarily throw them away before I even know. On the other hand, I COULD get rejected from all of them and have NOTHING.

What would you do? I excitedly thanked him, and then asked him how long he needed. He said they wanted to know the sooner the better, and I said I would need a few weeks at least. This made him sound displeased and we agreed to touch base next week. Did I already screw it up?

I never expected them to decide this quickly. I was banking on asking for a couple weeks a week or two from now. :-/

AreJay711

Re: bird in hand vs. birds in bush

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Why not take the offer and go on the interviews just to see?

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:56 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Why not take the offer and go on the interviews just to see?

:-o wouldn't it be really dick to accept the offer and then in February be like SORRY NO (if I got something else I wanted more)

or is that standard?

I'm stupid about these things (clearly)

Postby 005618502 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:59 pm

nixxers wrote:

:-o wouldn't it be really dick to accept the offer and then in February be like SORRY NO (if I got something else I wanted more)

or is that standard?

What market are you talking about? (dont need to be specific, but is it a smaller market or a large one). Also why not accept the offer and talk to them about splitting your summer if you get another offer? Many firms will be willing to do this (while some are not willing). Something to look into

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:59 pm

I assume this is a paying gig, and that you ultimately want to work in a firm. I'd say take the job, since it would be foolish to throw away a good opportunity like this on the off-chance that you get another job, especially since it's 1L summer so who gives a fuck what you do? Get paid, get to stop the job hunt in early January, get on this. 8)

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:00 pm

nixxers wrote:

:-o wouldn't it be really dick to accept the offer and then in February be like SORRY NO

or is that standard?

I think it would be kind of a dick move but you have to do what is best for you... but then again I'm kind of a dick. I would definitely take the offer you have though -- conventional wisdom is usually right.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:00 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
nixxers wrote:

or is that standard?

What market are you talking about? (dont need to be specific, but is it a smaller market or a large one). Also why not accept the offer and talk to them about splitting your summer if you get another offer? Many firms will be willing to do this (while some are not willing). Something to look into

Medium sized but with bazillions of law schools around, and they don't do split summers :/

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:01 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I assume this is a paying gig, and that you ultimately want to work in a firm. I'd say take the job, since it would be foolish to throw away a good opportunity like this on the off-chance that you get another job, especially since it's 1L summer so who gives a fuck what you do? Get paid, get to stop the job hunt in early January, get on this. 8)

Nah, it's unpaid plaintiffs side, but it's something I am interested in doing in the future. Mm...

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:02 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
nixxers wrote:

:-o wouldn't it be really dick to accept the offer and then in February be like SORRY NO

or is that standard?

I think it would be kind of a dick move but you have to do what is best for you... but then again I'm kind of a dick. I would definitely take the offer you have though -- conventional wisdom is usually right.

Maybe you're right.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:18 pm

These guys have my shyster radar going off. First, unpaid internships with for-profit entities are often (usually?) illegal. Second, pressuring you to accept and not giving you a clear timeframe when you asked them is gross, especially when they know it's early in the hiring season for 1Ls. I'd tread carefully.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:20 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:These guys have my shyster radar going off. First, unpaid internships with for-profit entities are often (usually?) illegal. Second, pressuring you to accept and not giving you a clear timeframe when you asked them is gross, especially when they know it's early in the hiring season for 1Ls. I'd tread carefully.

Oh shyte, it is unpaid? I wouldn't feel bad at all looking for other positions after accepting theirs. Just say you thought you'd be able to swing it but it is unfortunately financially impossible so you had to look for another job.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:28 pm

The problem with reneging is reputational, not moral. If you want to work in this market, you're definitely getting off on the wrong foot by accepting the job while continuing to interview.

I'd just turn it down and interview for the other jobs, myself, but I don't know if you're sufficiently confident you'll find a job you prefer.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:45 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:The problem with reneging is reputational, not moral. If you want to work in this market, you're definitely getting off on the wrong foot by accepting the job while continuing to interview.

I'd just turn it down and interview for the other jobs, myself, but I don't know if you're sufficiently confident you'll find a job you prefer.

Yeah, I don't want to introduce myself to this market by being unprofessional. I think it's reasonable to ask for time to see what my options are, especially this early on... If they can't wait for me I'll find something else. I'm going to go talk to career services on Monday and see how competitive the other positions for which I'm interviewing will be. Thanks for the words of wisdom, everyone!

Also, hi everyone who knows me IRL. lol :)

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:47 pm

nixxers wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:I assume this is a paying gig, and that you ultimately want to work in a firm. I'd say take the job, since it would be foolish to throw away a good opportunity like this on the off-chance that you get another job, especially since it's 1L summer so who gives a fuck what you do? Get paid, get to stop the job hunt in early January, get on this. 8)

Nah, it's unpaid plaintiffs side, but it's something I am interested in doing in the future. Mm...

Unpaid? I didn't know firms could even hire people for unpaid work.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:06 pm

nixxers wrote:

or is that standard?

It's not dickish, it's the free market

or something like that

morris248

Postby morris248 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:48 am

If you want to work unpaid, volunteer at the public defender's office. That will get you into the system and make contacts, especially if you are going to remain in that state. Don't accept and go to the other interviews.

Jordan77

Postby Jordan77 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:21 pm

Do NOT accept the job offer (more like internship) if you intend on still looking for work. Like others have said, small and medium legal markets allow for your reputation to carry pretty far and you want to make sure others regard you with the utmost respect. This is especially true when the job is in a field that you are considering entering (plaintiff). There is a chance that this lawyer/firm could spread what you did to other Plaintiff's attorneys/firms or even just other friends in the legal profession (e.g. a defense attorney).

This is especially true when the work you are talking about is unpaid; do you at least get class credit for the work? My guess is that if nothing pans out with your other interviews you can most likely get an intern/externship with a government entity such as Public Defenders, County Attorney, etc. It would be a much tougher decision if this "bird in hand" was a paying gig because then you really are taking a gamble turning it down.

Are the other positions you are applying for paid?

Other questions you might consider: would you want to work with this firm after law school if offered a job? Is this the exact type of plaintiff's work you would want to be doing (e.g. medical malpractice)?

ryegye87

Postby ryegye87 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:51 am

Also, in terms of reputation, don't assume just because its a small firm in a small market that the attorneys don't have big reach. I worked for a small firm in a small market, and unbeknownst to me until I left the firm and spoke with other attorneys about my past work experience, apparently the attorneys there are quite popular in major markets because they do very good work.

As for the position itself, don't stress yourself out too much about it. Although to you this is a big step, you have to understand firms, even small ones, hire clerks every summer. Likely multiple. If you end up taking a few weeks and turning them down, I assure you they will have an adequate replacement and will likely forget about you by the time that replacement shows up to work. That's not to be cynical or anything. It's just that you haven't established any sort of relationship with these people.

Don't fret too much, take the time you need, and make the best decision for your professional future--dick move or not.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”