Work Experience decision advice Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jayohtee

New

Work Experience decision advice

Post by jayohtee » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm currently a new grad who is working as a paralegal at a top 5 law firm. I've been accepted into Teach For America and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth doing for law school competitiveness.

Here's my scores/softs:

3.95 from a Top 30 school/170
Honors Program, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 2 other honor societies, won a graduation award
President of the largest student volunteer organization on campus senior year, and active through all 4 years
Member of student government Cabinet
Published senior thesis
Internship experience at a regional policy organization/for a Congressman
Son of a federal judge
And, for what it's worth, LGBT

I guess my question is would TFA really contribute that much to my credentials, or do I already stand a good shot at most schools? I'm not certainly dead set on HYS, though obviously that'd be great. Any feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by jayohtee on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

hdivschool

Bronze

Re: Work Experience decision advice

Post by hdivschool » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Those softs are pretty good but not extraordinary. Most students with that GPA will be in multiple honors societies and/or have written senior theses. But the WE and leadership positions in student orgs are solid softs.

I have no idea if your father's occupation or your sexuality matter.

You've got a shot at HYS and are probably in everywhere else.

Congrats on the TFA acceptance. TFA would help, but I don't know how much.

buddyblack

New

Post by buddyblack » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:42 pm

jayohtee wrote:I'm currently a new grad who is working as a paralegal at a top 5 law firm. I've been accepted into Teach For America and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth doing for law school competitiveness.

Here's my scores/softs:

3.95 from a Top 30 school/173
Honors Program, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 2 other honor societies, won a graduation award
President of the largest student volunteer organization on campus senior year, and active through all 4 years
Member of student government Cabinet
Published senior thesis
Internship experience at a regional policy organization/for a Congressman
Son of a federal judge
And, for what it's worth, LGBT

I guess my question is would TFA really contribute that much to my credentials, or do I already stand a good shot at most schools? I'm not certainly dead set on HYS, though obviously that'd be great. Any feedback is appreciated.
For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure UChicago has a special scholarship that TFA alums can apply for.

But I don't think the decision to do 2 years with TFA should be affected by how it will enhance a law school application. You're already a strong candidate at most, if not all, law schools. And soft factors only count for so much. Only do TFA if you want to do it.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:12 pm

I wouldnt do TFA for 2 years just for law school. The benefit isnt worth it. If you want to do it, do it. If not, you have a fair shot at HYS and should be in everywhere else.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:14 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:I wouldnt do TFA for 2 years just for law school. The benefit isnt worth it. If you want to do it, do it. If not, you have a fair shot at HYS and should be in everywhere else.
This. I'm TFA- pm if you want to discuss, but take my word from the trenches, this is not something you should do unless you're really passionate about it. Much of the time it's miserable. Not worth it just for a little boost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:04 pm

Is this flame? Apply now, enjoy Harvard, and don't screw over those kids by taking a spot in TFA that could go to someone who actually wants to do it.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:45 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Is this flame? Apply now, enjoy Harvard, and don't screw over those kids by taking a spot in TFA that could go to someone who actually wants to do it.
agree, enjoy HLS next app round :o

jayohtee

New

Post by jayohtee » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I guess, put differently, would it look bad to leave my current job as a paralegal to do something else? Or does that not really matter?

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:06 pm

firm exp vs. tfa is fungible; firm is probably better because you can leave sooner. enjoy sls or hls.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”