will I be THAT GUY next semester with an ipad in class?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
D'Angelo

Re: will I be THAT GUY next semester with an ipad in class?

Postby D'Angelo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:51 pm

the ipad in class is not douchey! you on the other hand...based on posts...

crossem

Postby crossem » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:39 pm

I see quite a few people in my classes who use an iPad. No one gives a shit. At all.

But, will you be THAT GUY who asks rhetorical questions for forum titles? You seem to have made up your mind.

Danny Mothers

Postby Danny Mothers » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Why not buy a lighter laptop? I'm sure you could find something for cheaper than the ipad that has significantly greater functionality.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:55 pm

If you are only using it for notes (i.e. you have a desktop at home), I don't see why it is douchey at all. In fact, it is kinda clever/cool. Someone in my 1L section had one with the wireless keyboard, and I thought it was awesome haha (I am very much into not carrying around a lot of stuff; i.e. for visits back home of a week or less I only pack a backpack worth of things). I'm not even a fan of Apple products when it comes to PC usage (hint: it is not really a computer :P), but using it for simply in-class lecture note taking sounds convenient.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Didn't you buy the ipad to use in class? Why wouldn't you use it?

ocplaytime

Postby ocplaytime » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:03 pm

maybe I should have asked pre-fall grades being released since so many posters are edgy from their median-esque performance

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 pm

ocplaytime wrote:maybe I should have asked pre-fall grades being released since so many posters are edgy from their median-esque performance

See, now I don't think it would be the ipad that'd make you douchey

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:21 pm

ocplaytime wrote:got tired of bringing in my heavy laptop everyday

Sissy

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:29 pm

ocplaytime wrote:got tired of bringing in my heavy laptop everyday so I went and bought an ipad 2 with a case and wireless keyboard. I know it's kind of douchey but that's why we're all in law school in the first place right?

It is not douchey/idiotic in and of itself. It is, however, woefully impractical. Buy a netbook if you are concerned with weight issues. They're relatively cheap and serve your purposes (and weigh less than my average chipotle burrito).

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Who gives a shit if anyone else cares, fuck em.

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:41 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Using an iPad to replace your laptop will not garner you much attention most places, until you complain about the fact that it won't print or admit that you're doing it to spare your waify limbs the extra two pounds.

Using an iPad to replace your books, however, is fucking credited.

Are law books available in electronic form?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:58 pm

zeth006 wrote:Dunno why people think OP is a tool for going with a tablet. It's probably because tablets are considered newfangled and anyone who bucks the usual notebook trend gets looked down upon.

Or it could be because an iPad is more expensive and less functional than a laptop and uses the same operating system as a phone.

HBK

Postby HBK » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:24 am

Does examsoft or softtest run on them?

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:32 am

Douchy? Nah. One of my buddies used one all semester I don't think anyone gave a darn. Now, if you are doing OTHER douchy things, it will probably pile on. But if you are in general a nice guy its just background stuff and nobody will care. I only remember him having it because we chatted about syncing notes and such.

I think you DO have some issues in terms of printing, though. But, on the other hand, how much will you NEED to print if you are reading off an ipad? I really didn't print much at all, not even to avoid lugging the 200 pound older ASUS laptop around.

Exam 4 is another matter. I think one of the benefits of having the laptop in class was that my typing got a bit better. When I used the same computer for finals I felt that it helped. Exam 4 wont run on the ipad, so you will switch computers...you do lose that advantage.

I used my wife's netbook when I had some power issues with my computer...I think that is a pretty solid compromise. I really didn't like it at first but it grew on me the more I used it. Of course I no longer had the option of playing Starcraft during contracts, but hey we all make sacrifices for law school...

NeighborGuy

Postby NeighborGuy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:19 pm

jd20132013 wrote:aren't you a grown man? why do you care what's "douchey"

what you're really asking is "will I stand out too much"

who cares

This.

To tell the truth, I wouldn't be able to not make fun of you for it (good-naturedly) because I think Apple products are overpriced hipster status symbols. Whether you would be a douche or not would depend entirely on your reaction.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:30 pm

ocplaytime wrote:got tired of bringing in my heavy laptop everyday so I went and bought an ipad 2 with a case and wireless keyboard. I know it's kind of douchey but that's why we're all in law school in the first place right?

Are you still in middle school?

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:04 pm

So I'm on a plane on Thursday, and as I pull out my huge laptop with 15.6 inch screen to read an article I'd downloaded, the guy next to me pulls out his sleek little iPad.

I was pretty jealous, until I noticed he was using it only to listen to music. A big bulky overpriced iPod.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:42 pm

dr123 wrote:Who gives a shit if anyone else cares, fuck em.

Your avatar makes this post 10x better.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”