Should I leave school? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Antilles Haven

Bronze

Re: Should I leave school?

Post by Antilles Haven » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:53 pm

deebs wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
deebs wrote:
Antilles Haven wrote:You know what two degrees are completely useless against each other? A JD and a CPA.
Except CPA is a designation, not a degree and no clients or accounting firms want a tax attorney who is also a CPA... Law firms might not give a shit about having a CPA, but you are going to be pretty attractive for tax advisors/consultants at accounting firms. And working 8-6 sounds awful for comparable pay.
not arguing just curious why?
Was being sarcastic :D
As far as hiring goes, you'd be mostly wrong. You would either get hired on the merits of your CPA and your JD would be useless, or in the small market where accounting firms do hire tax attorneys, they'd look for either an LLM in tax or experience in biglaw tax planning. The two skill sets might look incredibly comparable, but CPA's don't make you a more attractive candidate for JD required jobs in tax.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Abort mission, broheim. This guy probably isn't nearly as well-connected as he says he is, and even if he is well-connected, that may not lead to a job. An Akron Law degree is pretty bad in Ohio, so how do you think it will fare in insular North Carolina?

Transferring or moving or whatever seems really rash though for a girl who isn't your spouse, but if you're going to do it then I'd bail on the law degree. Have this dad dude get you a non-law jerb if he is actually connected.

in2win

Bronze

Post by in2win » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:20 pm

id have to agree with everyone else that it might not be the best idea to make all these life decisions based on your girlfriend. how do you know that your relationship is gonna last forever? what if your girlfriends dad does get you a job, but then your relationship goes bad. are you really gonna keep working at the job that your ex's father got you? you'd be in a tough situation then

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”