Year-Long Class Grading Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MrPapagiorgio

Year-Long Class Grading Question

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Two of my 1L classes are year-long: civ pro and contracts. Apparently, my school states that our civ pro I final exam grade accounts for 25% and our civ pro II final exam grade counts for 75% of our "final" grade. Same proportion for contracts I and II. But on the transcript, they are separated into two distinct classes, and I just received my grade for civ pro I.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience? Clearly we have two grades for the two classes on the transcript, but my school makes it seem like it's only one class with one final grade as evidenced by the proportions stated above. I just don't understand how the proportions work if we have two separate grades.

Judge Philip Banks

Re: Year-Long Class Grading Question

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:24 pm

I am in a similar situation. I think our midterm grades for the full-year classes (the December exams) don't count toward our gpa. I could be wrong about this though. And maybe it is different at your school. I can't see my transcript yet since all my grades haven't been released, so I can't even see if these midterm grades show up on the transcript or not...

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:I am in a similar situation. I think our midterm grades for the full-year classes (the December exams) don't count toward our gpa. I could be wrong about this though. And maybe it is different at your school. I can't see my transcript yet since all my grades haven't been released, so I can't even see if these midterm grades show up on the transcript or not...

I thought that is the way it would be (not actually counting) but it factored into the "cumulative GPA" (I know this because it is the only grade I have so far). Just so confused because each class is listed under distinct credits (civ pro I is 3, civ pro II is 2). Maybe when I get my civ pro II grade the other one will change to reflect the one combined grade for civ pro? That is the only thing I can think of.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:44 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:I am in a similar situation. I think our midterm grades for the full-year classes (the December exams) don't count toward our gpa. I could be wrong about this though. And maybe it is different at your school. I can't see my transcript yet since all my grades haven't been released, so I can't even see if these midterm grades show up on the transcript or not...

I thought that is the way it would be (not actually counting) but it factored into the "cumulative GPA" (I know this because it is the only grade I have so far). Just so confused because each class is listed under distinct credits (civ pro I is 3, civ pro II is 2). Maybe when I get my civ pro II grade the other one will change to reflect the one combined grade for civ pro? That is the only thing I can think of.

My civ pro class is also divided into 3 units/2 units. I think that only relates to the amount of things you cover in each semester. So I think you are right that the grade will be updated at the end of the class in the spring. That would make sense because the exams are given different weights, so in the end the midterm grade, while counting in your gpa initially, will not have a huge impact on your course grade once the final exam is figured into the course grade.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:32 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Wait, so the 2 credit class ends up 75% of the grade weight? That is interesting.

Our Civ Pro is also 3 credits/2 credits but no one has said anything about the grades being calculated in any way as a whole.
Our contracts are both 3 credits, and again, no one has said anything that they aren't just standing as individual classes.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:26 pm

sidhesadie wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Wait, so the 2 credit class ends up 75% of the grade weight? That is interesting.

Our Civ Pro is also 3 credits/2 credits but no one has said anything about the grades being calculated in any way as a whole.
Our contracts are both 3 credits, and again, no one has said anything that they aren't just standing as individual classes.

Yea it's weird. Ended up e-mailing my civ pro prof. She pretty much explained it: our civ pro I final is 25%, our civ pro II final is 75% of the final grade. The grade I received on the civ pro I final is tentative and will be changed accordingly at the end of the spring semester to reflect my performance on the civ pro II final. In the end it doesn't seem to matter which class has how many credits because the grade for both will be one single grade counting for 5 credits. It will show up on the transcript as two separate civ pro classes, but the grade will be the same for both. Strange, but it is what it is.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:32 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Yea it's weird. Ended up e-mailing my civ pro prof. She pretty much explained it: our civ pro I final is 25%, our civ pro II final is 75% of the final grade. The grade I received on the civ pro I final is tentative and will be changed accordingly at the end of the spring semester to reflect my performance on the civ pro II final. In the end it doesn't seem to matter which class has how many credits because the grade for both will be one single grade counting for 5 credits. It will show up on the transcript as two separate civ pro classes, but the grade will be the same for both. Strange, but it is what it is.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for looking into that, because I have a feeling it is the same at my school and was curious.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”