What next?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NotMyRealName09

Re: What next?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:44 pm

A masters degree in a linguistics related field is a good bet, and I'm sure any such program is not nearly so dependant on ending up top of your class, as unlike law school, in masters programs, if you do good work you get good grades. You won't be curved nearly as aggressively as law school, if at all.

As others have said, if you're pulling Cs after first semester, law school will not be your forte.

Linguistics is a useful field, and truely government will have a use for your skills. But I believe you have to go further with your education first.

And you do know that don't ask don't tell has been repealed now, right? There is a recent picture of a navy woman fresh off deployment at sea kissing her girlfiend dockside with her shipmates watching from the railings. Truely an amazing cultural advance for our society.

You're 22. I implore you not to turn down opportunities because a love one is keeping you in one geographic location. If your partner is going to medical school, he will DEFINATELY be moving, likely far away, at some point for fellowships and the like (I know this because I have doctor friends who are married but one had to be in some other state for a year or so, and then they are moving to the DC area because of another fellowship). If it is meant to be, it will last, simple as that.

Good luck.

NeighborGuy

Postby NeighborGuy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Knuckles wrote:I think I need to get job experience before I dream up any elaborate graduate plans. I've been on an academic track for a very long time and I need to hone the kind of skills that will help me support myself. Linguistics sounds great, but the jobs aren't there.

Good call on the job experience part, but we just spent this whole thread telling you about how the gub'ment will pay you big bucks to do linguistics for them...

If you want to get into something else, I suggest picking up a Navy/Chair Force gig for now and using your free time studying on your own or cross training. The beauty of the modern world is that information is so available that you could probably teach yourself a skill better than most colleges could. And of course experience is far more valuable than any degree.

You have a marketable skill and degree right now that can get you a job fairly immediately. Muscles can be built. New boyfriends can and will be found. Spend your prime time years wisely.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:58 pm

You don't need anything more than an undergrad degree for CIA / government work, and they would love to have you if you can speak Russian and are good with languages.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:01 pm

kalvano wrote:You don't need anything more than an undergrad degree for CIA / government work, and they would love to have you if you can speak Russian and are good with languages.

overly optimistic... but definitely worth a try

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:05 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Not that it necessarily changes the answer, but where does three Cs put you on the curve at your school?

I would consider options like...
-Teach English abroad for 1-2 years, retake LSAT, reapply and go to a better school (the wisdom of this one depends on whether your current grades put you at like, bottom third, or bottom twentieth. It might be that law school is just incompatible with your brain, but some TTTs have curves harsh enough that I wouldn't necessarily infer that from your grades.)
-Get an M.Ed or somesuch and be a teacher (but the job market is really, really harsh unless you can teach science or something else that's in demand).
-Get a master's in applied linguistics, which sadly is nothing like real linguistics but can lead to some neat careers, including teaching ESL if that's something you're interested in.
-Probably the smartest option: apply to all the jobs that ask for experience anyway. They ALL ask for experience, but most of them are being buttheads, so apply anyway. Apply to be a paralegal, apply for jobs in banks, apply for clerical/administrative positions, see if temp agencies will take you, apply to work in group homes - all of these are things you can do with a bachelor's, and people with no experience do get hired. Apply to ALL of them. Take any full-time job on which you can support yourself, and then you can sit back, breathe, and consider your future in a less terrified manner. Obviously, finding a job will take a while, because the job market is straight-up horrible. You said you have no financial support, but if there's someone you can just move in with, that would be helpful.

THIS GET A FUCKING REAL JOB.

Almost nobody actually works in the field they study.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Borhas wrote:
kalvano wrote:You don't need anything more than an undergrad degree for CIA / government work, and they would love to have you if you can speak Russian and are good with languages.

overly optimistic... but definitely worth a try

Could be, but I know that people that speak Russian and Farsi / Middle Eastern dialects go right to the top of the pile for the CIA, and I would imagine there are plenty of other government agencies with less stringent background checks / requirements that also highly value linguistic abilities. While prior experiences are always valued, the CIA recruiters that spoke at my school said that linguistic aptitude is one of the top 2 or 3 things they look for in an application.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:24 pm

At the very least, OP could get a gig teaching English in Japan or Korea etc. All you need is to be a native-speaker of English and have a Bachelor's. They have this certification you could get which makes you more marketable.

There are other jobs as others have mentioned, foreign service etc.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:40 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:At the very least, OP could get a gig teaching English in Japan or Korea etc. All you need is to be a native-speaker of English and have a Bachelor's. They have this certification you could get which makes you more marketable.

Those jobs are really fucking shitty. They are made for losers running away from student debt.

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:At the very least, OP could get a gig teaching English in Japan or Korea etc. All you need is to be a native-speaker of English and have a Bachelor's. They have this certification you could get which makes you more marketable.

Those jobs are really fucking shitty. They are made for losers running away from student debt.

TITCR, but harsh. A lot of my friends have taught english abroad, and although they like it, it really was a desperate last measure because of the lack of jobs. If you want your living expenses paid and make $20k/yr, go for it. Most, if not all of those friends are still stuck there 4 years and counting because it is hard to lateral from teaching english to anything.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”