1Ls: Likes/Dislikes about law school

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What's the biggest thing on your mind during 1L year?

The curve
18%
The opposite sex
19%
Jobs (or lack of jobs)
27%
Exams
18%
Home(sickness)
3%
The material
3%
Getting called on
6%
Vacation
3%
General (and borderline irrational) frustration/fear
6%

Total votes: 120

Verity

Re: 1Ls: Likes/Dislikes about law school

Postby Verity » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:39 pm

chimp wrote:Likes:
-The majority of the material
-Professors so far have been very nice, intelligent people
-My school

Dislikes:
-Lack of feedback
-Graded LRW
-Overall lack of emphasis on practical skills
-Neurotic and immature nature of some law students
-Scared/paranoid about the economy

Graded LRW has to be one of the worst ideas around.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:48 pm

Being at a school with ungraded LRW, I have to say that graded LRW no longer strikes me as complete batshit.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:19 pm

D'Angelo wrote:Being at a school with ungraded LRW, I have to say that graded LRW no longer strikes me as complete batshit.

Why? I mean, the point is to learn how to write, not prove to employers in a year from now that in your first semester of law school you wrote the bestest paper.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:16 pm

No grade-related motivation = no learning how to write for the most part. After two memos, I could tell you how to theoretically write one, but tell me to actually write one and I'd have to approach it like it were my first.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:29 pm

Tanicius wrote:
D'Angelo wrote:Being at a school with ungraded LRW, I have to say that graded LRW no longer strikes me as complete batshit.

Why? I mean, the point is to learn how to write, not prove to employers in a year from now that in your first semester of law school you wrote the bestest paper.

We have graded LWR, and I just always thought that those who had it ungraded were just kind of lucky; however, when you put it like that, I get resentful over the fact that ours is graded. I had never thought of it as a small accompaniment, much like ethics classes to go along with the rest of the coursework. As it is, our LRW is only 2 credits and most of the in-class work is almost meaningless.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:48 pm

Tanicius wrote:

I don't see where you're drawing a distinction between LRW and other classes that justifies the former being ungraded and the latter remaining graded. Civil procedure? "the point of civil procedure is to learn civil procedure, not to prove to employers in a year from now that in your first semester of law school you civil procedured the bestest." Both graded LRW and graded other classes use grades as a means of assessing your performance relative to your peers. If anything, the strongest justification for grading exists for LRW, since that is the class where grades are assigned due to assignments that most closely parallel what the class is supposed to teach.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:50 pm

I really like how UChicago does it. First quarter, we had an ungraded memo. Second, it becomes graded. That way we don't have to worry about completely fucking up our lives from not doing well with our first memos, but we're still motivated to learn how to do it because it will be graded soon.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:11 pm

D'Angelo wrote:No grade-related motivation = no learning how to write for the most part.

This. I know that if my LRW was not graded, I would have almost no motivation to work hard on the memos, especially since LRW assignments are time sinks when you have other work to do (I have 4 substantive classes + LRW). Grading may lead to stress, but it is the only way to ensure that every student will take it seriously (even if most LRW classes are 2 credits).

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:39 pm

Xifeng wrote:I really like how UChicago does it. First quarter, we had an ungraded memo. Second, it becomes graded. That way we don't have to worry about completely fucking up our lives from not doing well with our first memos, but we're still motivated to learn how to do it because it will be graded soon.

This is a brilliant idea. For us though it's two different assignments: first semester it's an inner-office memo to a supervising attorney, second semester it's a persuasive appellate court brief. Though, I do think that first semester should be ungraded, second semester graded. It gives a better learning curve for people to get adjusted to the new world of legal practice.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:56 pm

crossarmant wrote:
Xifeng wrote:I really like how UChicago does it. First quarter, we had an ungraded memo. Second, it becomes graded. That way we don't have to worry about completely fucking up our lives from not doing well with our first memos, but we're still motivated to learn how to do it because it will be graded soon.

This is a brilliant idea. For us though it's two different assignments: first semester it's an inner-office memo to a supervising attorney, second semester it's a persuasive appellate court brief. Though, I do think that first semester should be ungraded, second semester graded. It gives a better learning curve for people to get adjusted to the new world of legal practice.

Yeah, at UChi our fall quarter ungraded assignment is a closed memo, our winter quarter graded assignment is an open memo, and our spring quarter graded assignment is a brief. I think the quarter system makes the ungraded -> graded method a little more feasible since there's still time for two graded terms of LRW and the ungraded intro is reasonably short.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:55 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

I don't see where you're drawing a distinction between LRW and other classes that justifies the former being ungraded and the latter remaining graded.

For me, the distinction would be that most of my classes have 90 people in the section, so the curve seems a lot less harsh than using the same curve in a class of 10 people. Particularly since for every memo the only two As go to the same two girls, both of whom were paralegals and had experience in legal writing.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:19 am

cinephile wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

I don't see where you're drawing a distinction between LRW and other classes that justifies the former being ungraded and the latter remaining graded.

For me, the distinction would be that most of my classes have 90 people in the section, so the curve seems a lot less harsh than using the same curve in a class of 10 people. Particularly since for every memo the only two As go to the same two girls, both of whom were paralegals and had experience in legal writing.

Wow, a ten person class gets that kind of curve? Ours are ~30, so it's not as bad.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:44 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
crossarmant wrote:

Yeah, at UChi our fall quarter ungraded assignment is a closed memo, our winter quarter graded assignment is an open memo, and our spring quarter graded assignment is a brief. I think the quarter system makes the ungraded -> graded method a little more feasible since there's still time for two graded terms of LRW and the ungraded intro is reasonably short.

We have a graded, but uncurved LRW so it's at least a little better. However, I'd venture to say that the difference in the quality of work between median and the highest grade is not terribly significant. It'd probably be much easier to manage with a p/f system.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:49 am

Also I'll go ahead and say:

Professors especially my LRW professor
The intellectual atmosphere
semi-enjoyed exams to an extent

Dislikes:
Debt
Waiting for grades (by extension possibly the curve)
Gunners
I have a graded closed-book Crim midterm that I'll probably dislike
Studying for exams

Verity

Postby Verity » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Anyone else get stuck next to the smelly kid's carrel?

smscat

Postby smscat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Likes: I enjoy learning practical, relevant material instead of some theoretical requirements like in undergrad. I don't think the work is as overwhelming as I thought it would be - I have lots of free time. My professors are nice. I'm learning a lot.

Dislikes: I don't click with my fellow students - that may be my fault as I'm not great socially, but I usually do better. It's hard for me to adjust to being the slacker. I'm not a real hard worker but school is easy for me so I was always at the top until now - I still am above the average admissions stats of most people at my school, so I thought I'd still stand out a bit, but I don't at all. Everyone is bright and hardworking, but we don't have grades yet. I went to a huge undergrad and I miss it - all sorts of different people, you could blend in, and you didn't have to participate. Now, everyone's kind of the same and it's awkward and I never participate but I know I need to but I'm too afraid of messing up and I hate being the person who says the obvious stuff. I have no chance of moving on to a new class or group because the school is so small. I hate citation. I hate not knowing at all how I am going to do gradewise.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”