1L Summer Internship/Vacation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nodummy

1L Summer Internship/Vacation

Postby nodummy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:08 pm

For Xmas I received a great, all expenses paid summer vacation to a place I've always wanted to go. Problem is, what about my internship? Should I refuse the gift? Or would it be possible to take a week/10 days off from a summer internship?

Thanks for any advice.

ben4847

Re: 1L Summer Internship/Vacation

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Your summer break will be much longer than your internship. Your internship will probably be about 10 weeks, while summer break is as long as 18 in some schools. You'll go on vacation after your internship, before OCI.

nodummy

Postby nodummy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:12 pm

ben4847 wrote:Your summer break will be much longer than your internship. Your internship will probably be about 10 weeks, while summer break is as long as 18 in some schools. You'll go on vacation after your internship, before OCI.

I know, however the vacation has been scheduled for mid-June for ten days. The dates can't be changed and this seems to be right in the middle of the internship period.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:13 pm

nodummy wrote:For Xmas I received a great, all expenses paid summer vacation to a place I've always wanted to go. Problem is, what about my internship? Should I refuse the gift? Or would it be possible to take a week/10 days off from a summer internship?

Thanks for any advice.

take the week off, you're working for free (probably)

I took a week off in my 1L internship, the other interns were kind of annoyed at me, but I think they were just jealous. Just make sure it doesn't surprise anyone, and that you get your work done ahead of time.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Borhas wrote:
nodummy wrote:For Xmas I received a great, all expenses paid summer vacation to a place I've always wanted to go. Problem is, what about my internship? Should I refuse the gift? Or would it be possible to take a week/10 days off from a summer internship?

Thanks for any advice.

take the week off, you're working for free (probably)

I took a week off in my 1L internship, the other interns were kind of annoyed at me, but I think they were just jealous. Just make sure it doesn't surprise anyone, and that you get your work done ahead of time.

That sounds good to me- especially if you are working for free.

vyelps

Postby vyelps » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:30 pm

See if you can tack on an extra week of work at the beginning or at the end. Just be upfront with your employer.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:38 pm

If you're working for free, take the time off from work. If you're being paid, don't go on vacation; the expectations for your participation are just different.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:51 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:If you're working for free, take the time off from work. If you're being paid, don't go on vacation; the expectations for your participation are just different.

Agreed. If for free, be upfront and tell him about this vacation you were gifted and hoping to make up the time earlier or later. If not for free (i.e. at a firm), scrap that sucker haha. No way I could imagine asking for 10 days off from my 1L SA firm job (for vacation) and expect a return offer lol.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”