falling below scholarship requirements Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
diane23

New

falling below scholarship requirements

Post by diane23 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:58 pm

i received a bad grade that puts me below my 2.9 scholarship requirement. does anyone know if, generally, scholarship renewal is based on the first semester or the first year? this is important for me because i'm on a full scholarship. please advise as soon as possible. i am living the nightmare.

philly_law

New

Re: falling below scholarship requirements

Post by philly_law » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:02 pm

It is usually based on the cumulative GPA at the end of the academic year. Most schools send tuition bills and even have the tuition due before first semester grades are out. I would bet you are fine, just work hard and bring that GPA back up second semester. Good luck.

strangelove

New

Post by strangelove » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Like the poster above said, your cumulative GPA at the end of the year is what counts for scholarships. I fell below my scholarship GPA requirement my first semester too, but brought my grades up slightly second semester. I'm a 3L now and still have my scholarship. You'll be fine.
Last edited by strangelove on Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diane23

New

Post by diane23 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Thank you. After reading the student handbook and digging around, I think it is at the end of the first year. I fell below it by .055 points. The funny thing is I would have had a decent shot at top 10%. I have spoken to the professor and confirmed that it was my exam number and I just made a series of really bad errors.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:15 am

diane23 wrote:Thank you. After reading the student handbook and digging around, I think it is at the end of the first year. I fell below it by .055 points. The funny thing is I would have had a decent shot at top 10%. I have spoken to the professor and confirmed that it was my exam number and I just made a series of really bad errors.
So, if you bombed an exam, how exactly did you have a decent shot at being top 10%?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:45 am

Scholarship stipulations: not even once.

Michaela

Bronze

Post by Michaela » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:47 am

diane23 wrote:Thank you. After reading the student handbook and digging around, I think it is at the end of the first year. I fell below it by .055 points. The funny thing is I would have had a decent shot at top 10%. I have spoken to the professor and confirmed that it was my exam number and I just made a series of really bad errors.
wut?

diane23

New

Post by diane23 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:47 am

i was doing well for 8 of my 14 hours and then got a B. my last grade was a C- for 4 credits. i believe it was the lowest in the class, and before receiving it, i thought i'd get a B+ or an A-. median is 3.0. our grades released 1 by 1 from before xmas until last night at 6 pm.

i didn't even know you could get a C-. i talked to the professor and he is right. but i called and confirmed today that i didn't lose my scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”