Maybe you should drop out of law school.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Happy 2012!

That's a good point, thanks for the advice.
90
25%
NO IT WILL BE DIFFERENT FOR ME I LOVE DEBT, UNEMPLOYMENT, AND SORROW.
265
75%
 
Total votes: 355

pkuorz
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:02 am

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby pkuorz » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:52 am

lawhopeful10 wrote:
pkuorz wrote:Geez the negativity in this thread. Seriously I've never seen anything so sad to the extent that I feel the impulse to log on and say things.
To the OP, it's been three years already. Get over it. If I had a basket of eggs that had gone rotten, I'd throw them away instead of putting them in the fridge and coming back every year to retaste them and condescendingly persuade others to throw away their eggs which might actually be normal. That's just pathetic, stupid and a waste of time.
And someone is actually going to drop out to get an accounting degree coz it might turn out magic this time? Grow up pls. You don't have a decent-paying job because you are you, and you are guaranteed to fail in every endeavor and it's just a matter of time. It has nothing to do with law school or accounting. It's just you, neither smart nor hardworking. Remember that.
And if you want to be competitive in the market, get your CPA and CFA (which, believe me, actually doesn't help much) and whatever qualifications at your spare time if that solves your insecurity issues. If there is a 80% chance for a top 20% student at your school to secure one job offer at one interview, then be the f**king 20% and then go to 10 interviews and do the math. Have you learned basic probability theory? I guess not. Then learn it. You are already in a third tier school. You have spare time.
All in all, what I'm saying is, if law school is good enough for the President, the Chief Justice, and the CEO of Goldman Sachs, it is good enough for you.
Of course that's when you go to Harvard. Judging from the conspicuous absence of logic reasoning capacity that you guys just showed, I guess you don't.

I'll response substantively to this even though it's likely a waste of my time. First, this board discourages students from entering law school when their debt totals will be really high or the job prospects at their school are poor. In your post you seem to believe the people that fail are the ones that aren't "smart or hardworking." What you don't understand is that even at T25 or T30 schools maybe only 60-70% of the class ends up with a legal job at all. You scorn those who don't understand numbers but those numbers the ones worth paying attention to. Everyone in your class is likely fairly smart and by default someone must fall into the bottom third of the class, that is how the curve works. Even at top schools that you mentioned, such as Harvard, student debt is a real concern. Just the interest alone on 250k is significant. Also, some students eligible for admission to top schools have other strong options which is why aw school might not make sense. Further, your final line about law school being good enough for the President, Chief Justice, and CEO of Goldman Sachs does nothing to combat the real problem which is more people graduate law school than there are law jobs and of the jobs people do get out of law school, most do not receive a salary for which they can service the insurmountable debt they acquire by going to school. To the poster I'm quoting, you seem as if none of this will reach you anyway which is fine but I just hope that others reading will at least do their research before committing three years and thousands of dollars to law school.

Also fucking LOL at "then be the fucking 20%." Yea, because it's not like other people don't have that same goal or something.



You are correct. I actually didn't know that even at T25 or T30 schools maybe only 60-70% of the class ends up with a legal job at all.
Geez. 60% at a T30 school. I never thought the chances are that good. Honestly. Go out and find out the chances for a T30 college student to get into investment banks or whatever jobs you believe pay as well as biglaw. Do you actually believe that the job market is only difficult for lawyers, or that you are so talented and hardworking that as soon as you got out of the stupid law school which you obliviously went into in the first place, everything will automatically change for the better?
And, I was going to say fucking 5% or so. You can't even be the 20% and then you come here and whine about job prospects. I don't know what utopia you live in where people all get the best jobs and live happily ever after.

User avatar
anyriotgirl
Posts: 7516
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby anyriotgirl » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:55 am

I'm bored with your schtick now

pls find new schtick

User avatar
smaug
Posts: 12654
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby smaug » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:00 am

anyriotgirl wrote:I'm bored with your schtick now

pls find new schtick


and please leave blank lines between your paragraphs

your writing is shitty/hard to parse

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22848
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:02 am

pkuorz wrote:
Effingham wrote:
pkuorz wrote:Geez the negativity in this thread. Seriously I've never seen anything so sad to the extent that I feel the impulse to log on and say things.
To the OP, it's been three years already. Get over it. If I had a basket of eggs that had gone rotten, I'd throw them away instead of putting them in the fridge and coming back every year to retaste them and condescendingly persuade others to throw away their eggs which might actually be normal. That's just pathetic, stupid and a waste of time.
And someone is actually going to drop out to get an accounting degree coz it might turn out magic this time? Grow up pls. You don't have a decent-paying job because you are you, and you are guaranteed to fail in every endeavor and it's just a matter of time. It has nothing to do with law school or accounting. It's just you, neither smart nor hardworking. Remember that.
And if you want to be competitive in the market, get your CPA and CFA (which, believe me, actually doesn't help much) and whatever qualifications at your spare time if that solves your insecurity issues. If there is a 80% chance for a top 20% student at your school to secure one job offer at one interview, then be the f**king 20% and then go to 10 interviews and do the math. Have you learned basic probability theory? I guess not. Then learn it. You are already in a third tier school. You have spare time.
All in all, what I'm saying is, if law school is good enough for the President, the Chief Justice, and the CEO of Goldman Sachs, it is good enough for you.
Of course that's when you go to Harvard. Judging from the conspicuous absence of logic reasoning capacity that you guys just showed, I guess you don't.


pkuorz, if you click on a person's username, say thesealocust, for example, you can search through their previous posts. Then, if you click on the edit button on your posts, you can replace them with something a little less impulsive.

Good luck! Follow your dreams!


Oh no no. I am way too self-righteous and arrogant to give you the satisfaction. So I click on "Reply".
It is just amusing that a person, who is so filled with cynicism and anti-intellectualism that he would actually use "Follow your dreams" as an expression of sarcasm, could in fact believe that by learning about how the OP applied in 2006 and is somehow still around here after a time span that is long enough to get three JDs done, I would begin to wonder if he had anything important to say.

I never understand why "this person has been on TLS for a while" becomes a reason to discount why they say, as opposed to thinking "this person was basically the top of their class at a T14, has gone through LS applications and job applications and worked in biglaw at a highly ranked firm, so maybe they actually know something about what they're talking about." If you're going to engage in ad hominem dismissal of someone's post, it would make sense to find out who you're dismissing so you're not talking out your ass.

And lol at the idea that the advice on this site is or should be geared only to students at Harvard.

User avatar
lawhopeful10
Posts: 984
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby lawhopeful10 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:03 am

Way to ignore the fact that law school takes 3 years and puts you 250k in debt. No one is saying good schools with low debt is a bad idea. Also, I went to probably a not top 100 undergrad and I know plenty of kids who were able to make around 50k out of school which is what plenty of my law schools classmates will make except spending more time and money.

Also I agree with the above that some of your writing isn't clear but if you meant a personal insult regarding the top 20% thing, I finished my 1L year in the top 3%. I also knew plenty of people who worked harder and didn't. And unfortunately before you go to school it's hard to know where you will finish.

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby landshoes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:12 pm

pkuorz wrote:
Effingham wrote:
pkuorz wrote:Geez the negativity in this thread. Seriously I've never seen anything so sad to the extent that I feel the impulse to log on and say things.
To the OP, it's been three years already. Get over it. If I had a basket of eggs that had gone rotten, I'd throw them away instead of putting them in the fridge and coming back every year to retaste them and condescendingly persuade others to throw away their eggs which might actually be normal. That's just pathetic, stupid and a waste of time.
And someone is actually going to drop out to get an accounting degree coz it might turn out magic this time? Grow up pls. You don't have a decent-paying job because you are you, and you are guaranteed to fail in every endeavor and it's just a matter of time. It has nothing to do with law school or accounting. It's just you, neither smart nor hardworking. Remember that.
And if you want to be competitive in the market, get your CPA and CFA (which, believe me, actually doesn't help much) and whatever qualifications at your spare time if that solves your insecurity issues. If there is a 80% chance for a top 20% student at your school to secure one job offer at one interview, then be the f**king 20% and then go to 10 interviews and do the math. Have you learned basic probability theory? I guess not. Then learn it. You are already in a third tier school. You have spare time.
All in all, what I'm saying is, if law school is good enough for the President, the Chief Justice, and the CEO of Goldman Sachs, it is good enough for you.
Of course that's when you go to Harvard. Judging from the conspicuous absence of logic reasoning capacity that you guys just showed, I guess you don't.


pkuorz, if you click on a person's username, say thesealocust, for example, you can search through their previous posts. Then, if you click on the edit button on your posts, you can replace them with something a little less impulsive.

Good luck! Follow your dreams!


Oh no no. I am way too self-righteous and arrogant to give you the satisfaction. So I click on "Reply".
It is just amusing that a person, who is so filled with cynicism and anti-intellectualism that he would actually use "Follow your dreams" as an expression of sarcasm, could in fact believe that by learning about how the OP applied in 2006 and is somehow still around here after a time span that is long enough to get three JDs done, I would begin to wonder if he had anything important to say.


did you go to Harvard Law School? I heard it's a good one but I don't know what to believe anymore

User avatar
Nothing but the Funk
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby Nothing but the Funk » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:51 pm

Hey, looking for some advice and figured this might be the place. I was set on law school, but now that I am here I don't feel like this is right for me. Is it just nerves/anxiety or should I follow my gut and get out while I can still get most of my money back.

Side question does anyone know if future employers will view this as odd or off-putting when I go back and search for analysts kind of jobs?

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby twenty » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:09 am

Nothing but the Funk wrote:Is it just nerves/anxiety or should I follow my gut and get out while I can still get most of my money back.


If you're on a large scholarship, there's really no disincentive to at least stick it through the first semester/first year. If you're paying sticker... would probably bail, tbh.

User avatar
Nothing but the Funk
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby Nothing but the Funk » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:15 am

twenty wrote:
Nothing but the Funk wrote:Is it just nerves/anxiety or should I follow my gut and get out while I can still get most of my money back.


If you're on a large scholarship, there's really no disincentive to at least stick it through the first semester/first year. If you're paying sticker... would probably bail, tbh.


Yeah, I'm on a partial scholarship but will probably still end the year with 50,000+ in debt.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby twenty » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:31 pm

Your numbers are good enough that you could unquestioningly come back next year. I'd sit it out and maybe spend the year working.

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8810
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby Serett » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:28 pm

Feasible alternative?

“Are you finished with law?” Mom asked. Pressure rose in my chest and throat, and I coughed.

“Yes, I’m done.”

“So what are you going to do? You’re 37 years old.”

She scanned my face as if taking the measure of a stranger.

“I’m going to take time to decide,” I said.

“You know,” she stopped walking, “you’re ruining your life.”

Studying want ads one evening, the one that got my blood moving promised to train me as a party clown, and send me out at $25 per show. Years earlier, I’d dreamed of becoming so weightless that I bounced off the ceiling. I could see myself in a billowy clown suit. After a free training session, I purchased the starter kit for $59 and waited for them to call.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Justtrying2help and 7 guests