Maybe you should drop out of law school.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Happy 2012!

That's a good point, thanks for the advice.
25%
NO IT WILL BE DIFFERENT FOR ME I LOVE DEBT, UNEMPLOYMENT, AND SORROW.
75%

Total votes: 355

Black Hat

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby Black Hat » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:33 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Im strongly considering eating the small late payment fee for my spring tuition bill to wait until my fall grades come back. Its such a scam that our tuition is due before prof grades are.

SCAM is the first word that came to mind when I learned that information as well. They want their full tuition for the year BEFORE you jump ship! That is a pretty shysty tactic if you ask me!

doctoroflaw91

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:00 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Im strongly considering eating the small late payment fee for my spring tuition bill to wait until my fall grades come back. Its such a scam that our tuition is due before prof grades are.

Didn't even think about this. It's actually quite a good idea :?

helix23

Postby helix23 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:15 pm

doctoroflaw91 wrote:

Do we even have this choice? I remember my tuition being automatically paid once the loan was disbursed.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:34 pm

helix23 wrote:
doctoroflaw91 wrote:

Do we even have this choice? I remember my tuition being automatically paid once the loan was disbursed.

Yea, they take the federal loans that way. But theres still a payment left remaining for me since I only took stafford/perkins and Im using personal loans/savings for the remaining balance.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:49 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
helix23 wrote:
doctoroflaw91 wrote:

Yea, they take the federal loans that way. But theres still a payment left remaining for me since I only took stafford/perkins and Im using personal loans/savings for the remaining balance.

ic, bro

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:19 am

aren't you at columbia, broseph? even with really bottom-of-the-barrel grades, you'd still have spring semester to try to make up ground and be within striking distance for OCI, no? you were risk-accepting enough to enroll at CLS in the first place - why suddenly so risk-averse that you wouldn't pay to roll the dice once more this semester?

(if you'd be dropping out bc you hate law school that's a different story, but you make it sound like you'd consider dropping out purely based on grades)

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:52 am

LetsGoLAW wrote:2L here. OP's thread is making more and more sense and I'm glad I'm realizing it as a 2L. My 2L SA firm just revoked my offer because the firm is going under. I remember when I had the "I'll work hard and be in the top 10%." Well, even at a top tiered school, top 25% is not enough.

But I won't drop out. I have little debt and my family is filled with lawyers. But I don't want to be a lawyer anymore. I'm pursuing a mid-20s career change. Picking up the pieces of my software engineering degree and getting certified in multiple programming languages. Top-ten in-demand job in America. I'll patent all my code strings.

Think long and hard everyone.

That sucks man. Which firm is doing that?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:42 am

Mista Bojangles wrote:

aren't you at columbia, broseph? even with really bottom-of-the-barrel grades, you'd still have spring semester to try to make up ground and be within striking distance for OCI, no? you were risk-accepting enough to enroll at CLS in the first place - why suddenly so risk-averse that you wouldn't pay to roll the dice once more this semester?

(if you'd be dropping out bc you hate law school that's a different story, but you make it sound like you'd consider dropping out purely based on grades)

It's more the principle. I don't even think I did badly. But moreover, I don't accept the risk-aversion principle you articulated. People come into law school all the time having a very different idea of what they will be able to accomplish and/or what their experience will be like than what they actually go through fall of 1L. It makes perfect sense to me why someone would desire the flexibility to leave right now, even from a top school.

ETA: final edit, there actually would be a level of grades where I would leave, eat the still-small amount of debt from one semester and go back to my old job if I got them rather than "roll the die" - people don't trend to make massive strides second semester relative to their peers if they fell behind in the first. It's quite unlikely I would get these grades given what I can judge comparably about the strength of my performance, but since the system of evaluation is so arbitrary, it is theoretically possible.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:29 pm

It's grade season. Bump.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:It's grade season. Bump.

It's never too early

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:14 pm

Friendly summer bump

anyriotgirl

Postby anyriotgirl » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:17 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Errzii wrote:How about putting up a similar PSA at the other forums for aspiring law students to not attend at all? Those are the ones that can really still be saved.

The mods tend to take a dim view towards telling prospective law students not to attend law school, and I'm usually on a fairly short leash as it is. Pick your battles, etc.

oh how times have changed

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:18 pm

I haven't ventured to the pre-law forums in ages; what's it like now?

anyriotgirl

Postby anyriotgirl » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:20 pm

half the threads: retake!

other half: don't go

outliers: poster got t14 full scholarship, "okay go, but only if you REALLY REALLY want to be a lawyer"

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:20 pm

:D

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:18 am

thesealocust wrote:Friendly summer bump

Why couldn't you have given me this advice before paying for your course :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I kid, your course was awesome and super helpful! Just glad that this advice was also helpful. Being a scientist and playing with chemicals all day (and sometimes nights, b/c night shift) is pretty rad. I basically get a nice balance between working time and pay. I don't have a BMW or Audi, but I also have free time, which is nice.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:26 am

Attax wrote:

Why couldn't you have given me this advice before paying for your course :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I kid, your course was awesome and super helpful! Just glad that this advice was also helpful. Being a scientist and playing with chemicals all day (and sometimes nights, b/c night shift) is pretty rad. I basically get a nice balance between working time and pay. I don't have a BMW or Audi, but I also have free time, which is nice.

Hey, I had a link to this thread in the course's original post! I practiced securities law, I'm all about full and fair disclosure ;)

I choose to believe your life is now live action Breaking Bad fan fiction. Please do not say anything that will cause me to believe otherwise, because it's a pretty excellent fantasy.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:21 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Attax wrote:

Hey, I had a link to this thread in the course's original post! I practiced securities law, I'm all about full and fair disclosure ;)

I choose to believe your life is now live action Breaking Bad fan fiction. Please do not say anything that will cause me to believe otherwise, because it's a pretty excellent fantasy.

I likely ignored the link because at the time I was such a special snowflake!

I did find a few bottles of phenethylamine at work the other day. The lab right across from me actively uses methylamine, so it actually isn't too far off :shock:

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:24 pm

pkuorz

Postby pkuorz » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:34 am

Geez the negativity in this thread. Seriously I've never seen anything so sad to the extent that I feel the impulse to log on and say things.
To the OP, it's been three years already. Get over it. If I had a basket of eggs that had gone rotten, I'd throw them away instead of putting them in the fridge and coming back every year to retaste them and condescendingly persuade others to throw away their eggs which might actually be normal. That's just pathetic, stupid and a waste of time.
And someone is actually going to drop out to get an accounting degree coz it might turn out magic this time? Grow up pls. You don't have a decent-paying job because you are you, and you are guaranteed to fail in every endeavor and it's just a matter of time. It has nothing to do with law school or accounting. It's just you, neither smart nor hardworking. Remember that.
And if you want to be competitive in the market, get your CPA and CFA (which, believe me, actually doesn't help much) and whatever qualifications at your spare time if that solves your insecurity issues. If there is a 80% chance for a top 20% student at your school to secure one job offer at one interview, then be the f**king 20% and then go to 10 interviews and do the math. Have you learned basic probability theory? I guess not. Then learn it. You are already in a third tier school. You have spare time.
All in all, what I'm saying is, if law school is good enough for the President, the Chief Justice, and the CEO of Goldman Sachs, it is good enough for you.
Of course that's when you go to Harvard. Judging from the conspicuous absence of logic reasoning capacity that you guys just showed, I guess you don't.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:12 am

pkuorz wrote:Geez the negativity in this thread. Seriously I've never seen anything so sad to the extent that I feel the impulse to log on and say things.
To the OP, it's been three years already. Get over it. If I had a basket of eggs that had gone rotten, I'd throw them away instead of putting them in the fridge and coming back every year to retaste them and condescendingly persuade others to throw away their eggs which might actually be normal. That's just pathetic, stupid and a waste of time.
And someone is actually going to drop out to get an accounting degree coz it might turn out magic this time? Grow up pls. You don't have a decent-paying job because you are you, and you are guaranteed to fail in every endeavor and it's just a matter of time. It has nothing to do with law school or accounting. It's just you, neither smart nor hardworking. Remember that.
And if you want to be competitive in the market, get your CPA and CFA (which, believe me, actually doesn't help much) and whatever qualifications at your spare time if that solves your insecurity issues. If there is a 80% chance for a top 20% student at your school to secure one job offer at one interview, then be the f**king 20% and then go to 10 interviews and do the math. Have you learned basic probability theory? I guess not. Then learn it. You are already in a third tier school. You have spare time.
All in all, what I'm saying is, if law school is good enough for the President, the Chief Justice, and the CEO of Goldman Sachs, it is good enough for you.
Of course that's when you go to Harvard. Judging from the conspicuous absence of logic reasoning capacity that you guys just showed, I guess you don't.

You go, girl

Effingham

Postby Effingham » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:06 am

pkuorz wrote:Geez the negativity in this thread. Seriously I've never seen anything so sad to the extent that I feel the impulse to log on and say things.

pkuorz, if you click on a person's username, say thesealocust, for example, you can search through their previous posts. Then, if you click on the edit button on your posts, you can replace them with something a little less impulsive.

Good luck! Follow your dreams!

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:35 am

I'll response substantively to this even though it's likely a waste of my time. First, this board discourages students from entering law school when their debt totals will be really high or the job prospects at their school are poor. In your post you seem to believe the people that fail are the ones that aren't "smart or hardworking." What you don't understand is that even at T25 or T30 schools maybe only 60-70% of the class ends up with a legal job at all. You scorn those who don't understand numbers but those numbers the ones worth paying attention to. Everyone in your class is likely fairly smart and by default someone must fall into the bottom third of the class, that is how the curve works. Even at top schools that you mentioned, such as Harvard, student debt is a real concern. Just the interest alone on 250k is significant. Also, some students eligible for admission to top schools have other strong options which is why aw school might not make sense. Further, your final line about law school being good enough for the President, Chief Justice, and CEO of Goldman Sachs does nothing to combat the real problem which is more people graduate law school than there are law jobs and of the jobs people do get out of law school, most do not receive a salary for which they can service the insurmountable debt they acquire by going to school. To the poster I'm quoting, you seem as if none of this will reach you anyway which is fine but I just hope that others reading will at least do their research before committing three years and thousands of dollars to law school.

Also fucking LOL at "then be the fucking 20%." Yea, because it's not like other people don't have that same goal or something.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:39 am

Jd advantage jobs don't give a tuck about grades. If you went to law school because you were out of career moves, which is about the only reason to go, you should stick out law school in most scenarios. If you were on schooly and lost it due to grades and have the point to bail with like 20k of debt before taking over 100k, maybe drop out.

pkuorz

Postby pkuorz » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:40 am

Effingham wrote:

pkuorz, if you click on a person's username, say thesealocust, for example, you can search through their previous posts. Then, if you click on the edit button on your posts, you can replace them with something a little less impulsive.

Good luck! Follow your dreams!

Oh no no. I am way too self-righteous and arrogant to give you the satisfaction. So I click on "Reply".
It is just amusing that a person, who is so filled with cynicism and anti-intellectualism that he would actually use "Follow your dreams" as an expression of sarcasm, could in fact believe that by learning about how the OP applied in 2006 and is somehow still around here after a time span that is long enough to get three JDs done, I would begin to wonder if he had anything important to say.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”