Help me Chose My 2L Spring Classes

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
CSKNJ

Help me Chose My 2L Spring Classes

Postby CSKNJ » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:59 am

I'm having trouble making my schedule for next semester. So far I've taken:
1) Contracts
2) Civ Pro
3) Torts
4) Property
5) Crim Law
6) Con Law
7) Biz Orgs
8) Admin Law
9) Evidence
10 Professional Responsibility

This semester I'm choosing between
-Secured Transactions
-Securities Regulation or Bankruptcy
-Housing and Urban Development
-Land Use Regulation
-Labor Law
-Pretrial Ad.
-Family Law

I have no interest in practicing criminal law, so I'm deliberately putting off Crim Pro. until next year when it is closer to the bar. This summer I'm interning at a legal services organization and I'm currently applying for a grant that views having taken labor law as a plus. I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing upon graduation, so I'm trying to take as many 'important' classes as I can. It would be great if you guys could rank which classes I should prioritize. As of now I can only take 3 maybe four of these given that I'm already in a judicial externship program and on a journal.

uci2013

Re: Help me Chose My 2L Spring Classes

Postby uci2013 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:43 am

CSKNJ wrote:This semester I'm choosing between
-Secured Transactions
-Securities Regulation or Bankruptcy
-Housing and Urban Development
-Land Use Regulation
-Labor Law
-Pretrial Ad.
-Family Law

I have no interest in practicing criminal law, so I'm deliberately putting off Crim Pro. until next year when it is closer to the bar. This summer I'm interning at a legal services organization and I'm currently applying for a grant that views having taken labor law as a plus. I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing upon graduation, so I'm trying to take as many 'important' classes as I can. It would be great if you guys could rank which classes I should prioritize. As of now I can only take 3 maybe four of these given that I'm already in a judicial externship program and on a journal.

You make a decent case for taking Labor Law. I've heard from a few actual attorneys that Pretrial Ad./Advanced Civ. Pro was the most useful law school class thy took, so I would recommend that on as well.

Third should be whichever one interests you the most IMO. And I wouldn't take a 4th if you are dong an externship and a journal.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Since you don't have BigLaw, I would ignore classes like Secured Transactions, Sec Reg and Bankruptcy. You should definitely take Pretrial Ad, Labor Law and Family Law.

memo2partner

Postby memo2partner » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:18 pm

I'd take 3 classes--family law, secured transactions, pretrial ad (1st 2 are on the bar and pretrial is helpful in practice

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:53 pm

You can't go wrong with bar courses + skills courses. If secured transactions is tested in your state, I'd definitely recommend that.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”