E&E for Con Law?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
keg411

Re: E&E for Con Law?

Postby keg411 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:49 pm

jjlaw wrote:Did anyone use the casebook by Brest? We're required to buy the 2011 supplement as well. Is it less or more helpful than Chemerinsky?

Had this book last year. It just has extra cases (there's a bunch of stuff on the health care law and the partial birth abortion case). It's not a "supplement" like Chemerinsky.

Also, if you have this book, don't buy Chemerinsky. I used it along with my reading (as recommended by an upperclassman) and it did not help at all.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:22 pm

keg411 wrote:
jjlaw wrote:Did anyone use the casebook by Brest? We're required to buy the 2011 supplement as well. Is it less or more helpful than Chemerinsky?

Had this book last year. It just has extra cases (there's a bunch of stuff on the health care law and the partial birth abortion case). It's not a "supplement" like Chemerinsky.

Also, if you have this book, don't buy Chemerinsky. I used it along with my reading (as recommended by an upperclassman) and it did not help at all.

Thanks. Which supplement would you recommend instead? Or none at all?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:34 pm

jjlaw wrote:
keg411 wrote:

None. I also tried using Crunchtime and it didn't help at all either (and the Emanuels usually help me). Everything appears geared towards the Chemerinsky book and the Brest/Levinson book is just different.

samfii

Postby samfii » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:23 pm

We were assigned the Geoffrey Stone Con Law book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used) and its supplement (http://www.amazon.com/Constitutional-20 ... 993&sr=8-1). Is the supplement just extra cases or is it a hornbook-type supplement? I'm trying to figure out if I should still buy the Chemerinsky supplement

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:05 pm

shock259 wrote:I've got the E&E and Chem. I was planning on reading the E&E before the semester begins, then using Chem throughout (our casebook is also by him). Probably won't use the E&E much throughout, but I could be wrong. I found it helpful to have read the E&E's for my first semester classes prior to class. It gives a decent overview of course direction/likely big topics/etc.

did you guys go with the new version of Chem or the 2005 version?

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:20 am

keg411 wrote:
jjlaw wrote:
keg411 wrote:

None. I also tried using Crunchtime and it didn't help at all either (and the Emanuels usually help me). Everything appears geared towards the Chemerinsky book and the Brest/Levinson book is just different.

:(. We have the Brest/Levinson book as well and I hate having to rely on purely my class notes since they usually suck. I need supplements to survive...

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:23 am

Anyone ever used Inside Constitutional Law: What Matters And Why? I used that series for Admin Law and it was far and away the best supplement I've laid my hands on.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”