Website to buy textbooks

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SKlei

Website to buy textbooks

Postby SKlei » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:18 am

anyone know of a good site besides amazon and half for textbooks? Need property book for next semester and seems to be pricey on amazon.

CanadianWolf

Re: Website to buy textbooks

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:20 am

If it's pricey on those websites, then it must be a new edition. Consider renting for the term. Try Barnes & Noble's website for textbook rentals.

P.S. Which Property textbook & which edition ? Someone else on TLS may have encountered the same issue & have a better option or have one for sale.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:03 pm

If you dont write/underline/highlight in your books, check to see if your school's library has a copy that you can borrow. I did that for Torts and Contracts and saved a bundle.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:06 pm

I've used chegg for a couple books. Sometimes they have a used copy for sale cheaper than amazon (I think their rentals are usually not worth it though)

truevines

Postby truevines » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:42 pm

SKlei wrote:anyone know of a good site besides amazon and half for textbooks? Need property book for next semester and seems to be pricey on amazon.

half.com

If you don't wanna keep your casebook afterwards, you should consider renting it. You can rent casebooks on half.com.

Additionally, for property, you could probably copy the TOC and pull the cases from Westlaw.
(This does not work for Crim. Pro (Kashmir), for the notes are assigned readings and contain important cases).

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:39 pm

what property book are you looking for?

I'd sell mine for dirt cheap. I've only kept it for the simple fact that it boosts my ego to see all those big case law books on my bookshelf. I have my property book (although I cant remember the name and I left it in my apartment back at school, but it has a brown cover with gold trim). I also have an estates supplement which was awesome.

Also, I know you can rent text books from Westlaw. You can highlight in them and all that junk, then send them back when you're done. Never utilized this, but am thinking about doing this for next semester if they don't kick me out (I don't feel too good about my performance on my finals, other than my Ap. Ad. grade, but at this point that is up in the air too.)

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:49 pm

I've found pretty good deals on AbeBooks.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:13 pm

consider renting books as well, often times it's a better deal than buying and reselling

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:16 pm

Borhas wrote:consider renting books as well, often times it's a better deal than buying and reselling

It's certainly easier.

Though buying used and selling it yourself is probably the cheapest way.

somethingdemure

Postby somethingdemure » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:19 pm

My school has an awesome birds-eye scanner that can create searchable PDFs, and we're entitled to thousands of pages of free printing per year. Decided to try not buying textbooks for one class this term, and it worked so well that I'm not going to buy any textbooks for next semester.

truevines

Postby truevines » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:15 am

somethingdemure wrote:My school has an awesome birds-eye scanner that can create searchable PDFs, and we're entitled to thousands of pages of free printing per year. Decided to try not buying textbooks for one class this term, and it worked so well that I'm not going to buy any textbooks for next semester.

Potential copyright infringement?
At least my school prohibits us from scanning or copying the entire book.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”