Which contracts case...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RR320

Which contracts case...

Postby RR320 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm thinking of a case where a buyer makes an order and the seller is only able to fulfill so much of it and then is able to ship the rest out at a later point but charges more because the price has changed and buyer accuses them of breaching the contract. Does anyone know the case name I am talking about or what exactly happens in these type of cases?

ben4847

Re: Which contracts case...

Postby ben4847 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:32 pm

RR320 wrote:I'm thinking of a case where a buyer makes an order and the seller is only able to fulfill so much of it and then is able to ship the rest out at a later point but charges more because the price has changed and buyer accuses them of breaching the contract. Does anyone know the case name I am talking about or what exactly happens in these type of cases?

Well, under the common law, it would be a breach of contract, and the buyer would only have to pay the original price. Under the UCC, I have no idea. My contracts professor thinks the UCC is stupid and juvenile.

Cade McNown

Re: Which contracts case...

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:36 pm

RR320 wrote:I'm thinking of a case where a buyer makes an order and the seller is only able to fulfill so much of it and then is able to ship the rest out at a later point but charges more because the price has changed and buyer accuses them of breaching the contract. Does anyone know the case name I am talking about or what exactly happens in these type of cases?

Sounds like Canadian Industrial Alcohol v. Dunbar Molasses (Cardozo decision).

Or maybe Corinthian Pharmaceuticals v. Lederle Labs, but that's a shipment as an accommodation not an acceptance.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”