Exam postmortems Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Are exam postmortems good or bad?

Exam postmortems are good
27%
Exam postmortems are bad
73%

Total votes: 64

delusional

Silver

Exam postmortems

Post by delusional » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Searched but did not find a thread about this. So, is it productive useful for you to discuss exams afterward, or are you violently opposed to the idea? Of the people I've spoken to, it seems like some adore it and some loathe it, with very little in between. Also, does the nature of the grade curve figure in to whether postmortems are productive or not?

Ludo!

Gold

Re: Exam postmortems

Post by Ludo! » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:23 pm

I'd say they are bad, but I did it 1l year anyway. Right after every exam, my study partner and I went over the whole exam in depth over coffee or lunch. I think you just have to do it understanding that you can still get a good grade even when you miss some issues. There were always things he saw that I didn't and vice versa. There was only one time it really bit me in the ass, when I realized I missed something HUGE on my ConLaw exam and I stressed about it the entire summer. I ended up getting an A and all that worry was for nothing. But personally I'm too neurotic not to postmortem, I can't help it.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:25 pm

What good can come of it?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:26 pm

Bad 1L for sure.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:28 pm

For practice exams, great idea.

For f'realsy exams, with your professor, after you receive your grade and with an eye toward improving in the future, great idea.

For f'realsy exams, with your peers, before your grade comes out: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:42 pm

thesealocust wrote:For practice exams, great idea.

For f'realsy exams, with your professor, after you receive your grade and with an eye toward improving in the future, great idea.

For f'realsy exams, with your peers, before your grade comes out: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
+1

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:46 pm

LeDique wrote:What good can come of it?
For me, I felt that since I had never taken a law school exam, (and I also studied alone, mostly), it was reassuring to know that other people also felt unsure and had missed issues, and that I wouldn't necessarily fail because of that. It was also a nice bonding experience with people in my section.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Until this post, I would not have associated you with the word f'realsy

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:08 pm

delusional wrote:

Until this post, I would not have associated you with the word f'realsy
Been using it (without the support of others it would seem) since June according to TLS search: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/s ... mit=Search

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Miznitic

Bronze

Post by Miznitic » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:11 pm

Exam post-mortems = No. Why? Psychological trick. Intimidate people.

In reality, don't - You'll see what you did right/wrong and the wait for grades will kill you even more. Isolate yourself from your law school peers after exams are over and forget about it until grades come in.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:54 am

It can be good in certain cases. I know that I was freaking out about one of my answers, but after talking to someone in my study group, I learned that we both had the same answer and it was likely the correct one. Same thing happened to another person in my study group... right after the exam, she was upset about one of her answers, but then we found out that we both had the same answer (and I was pretty sure it was correct). So sometimes it is helpful if it puts your mind to rest.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:04 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:It can be good in certain cases. I know that I was freaking out about one of my answers, but after talking to someone in my study group, I learned that we both had the same answer and it was likely the correct one. Same thing happened to another person in my study group... right after the exam, she was upset about one of her answers, but then we found out that we both had the same answer (and I was pretty sure it was correct). So sometimes it is helpful if it puts your mind to rest.
And this is coming from someone with the name "LSATNightmares" so it's gotta be on the money when it comes to dealing with stress from tests. I bet you want to change your name now to "ExamNightmares".

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:05 pm

I always find it comforting. Imagination can be a lot more dangerous than reality.

in_reverie

New

Post by in_reverie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Rarely good. Every time the exam closes, some gunnerish kids IMMEDIATELY start talking about the exam, and it's usually about some issue I missed. I basically have to run the hell out of the room as soon as I can.

This does feel pretty appropriate:

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:00 pm

A lulzy "So what did you think of the exam?" to your friends is ok. Sitting down to discuss actual issues and compare with your friends is a little neurotic. As a 1L the best thing to do is wait for grades to come out, then talk with your professor. As a 2/3L why would you even care?

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:29 am

delusional wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:It can be good in certain cases. I know that I was freaking out about one of my answers, but after talking to someone in my study group, I learned that we both had the same answer and it was likely the correct one. Same thing happened to another person in my study group... right after the exam, she was upset about one of her answers, but then we found out that we both had the same answer (and I was pretty sure it was correct). So sometimes it is helpful if it puts your mind to rest.
And this is coming from someone with the name "LSATNightmares" so it's gotta be on the money when it comes to dealing with stress from tests. I bet you want to change your name now to "ExamNightmares".
Haha, I'm not as fearful about law school exams. I actually find them easier than the LSAT, because they are more based on knowledge and hard work actually pays off. I just stink at standardized tests.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

D'Angelo

Bronze

Post by D'Angelo » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:57 am

our section went to a bar and had a very strict no postmortem rule after our first exam! but then people just kept talking about it the next 3 days after...so we did the opposite for the rest and cut it off once we had enough beer in us

it seems like people are going to do it anyway at least generally...so if they do you might as well do it early...

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:09 pm

D'Angelo wrote:our section went to a bar and had a very strict no postmortem rule after our first exam! but then people just kept talking about it the next 3 days after...so we did the opposite for the rest and cut it off once we had enough beer in us

it seems like people are going to do it anyway at least generally...so if they do you might as well do it early...
I think we shot more for... talk about it only once people have enough beer in them.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:16 pm

Usually negative, because if you discuss an issue that everyone else saw you worry that you only saw the issues everyone else saw. Then if you miss an issue that someone else/everyone else saw ... well, you know.

The only time it's really comforting is if you think a question came totally out of left field and others agree.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”