2L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mrloblaw

Re: 2L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:20 pm

Last edited by mrloblaw on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:20 pm

I just got an A in a class I didn't study at all for, because the final was days earlier than I thought it was (figured it out three hours before the exam started).

I also have a B in a class I studied my ass off for.

Thank you, arbitrary lawl gods. It's nice to know that effort and level of understanding of course material are completely irrelevant.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Still waiting for three grades. One exam was entirely scantron, another was 75% scantron. Class starts Tuesday.

:evil:

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:41 pm

I don't freaking believe it. Last grade was posted tonight. I was so shocked that I almost fell out of my chair.....in a good way. :shock:

Somehow, I made the Dean's List for the semester, and I am beyond ecstatic.

Fall semester chewed me up and spit me out...believe me when I tell you I was not expecting to do this well this semester. However, I did work my ass off.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:45 am

My clinic just announced that instead of the typical 4 hours a week of field work we'll be doing 8 hours instead. Umm...can I have more credits then?

thescienceguy

Postby thescienceguy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:56 pm

I got a C+ in a business school course that doesn't count towards my GPA, but nevertheless shows up on my transcript. Am I screwed in terms of getting an offer this summer? Kinda freaking out because the C+ is pretty terrible. My GPA has otherwise gone up.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:48 pm

thescienceguy wrote:I got a C+ in a business school course that doesn't count towards my GPA, but nevertheless shows up on my transcript. Am I screwed in terms of getting an offer this summer? Kinda freaking out because the C+ is pretty terrible. My GPA has otherwise gone up.

Well the obvious question is what happened?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:56 pm

Got my final grade... an A! This is despite someone actually breaking into my apartment while I was sitting there trying to take the take home final for it.

Anyway, I'm still somewhat pissed because I got a B in PR, law school's easiest course, and it makes me fall just short of a 3.6 this semester and a 3.5 overall. I know I'm being silly, and I should be happy because i very easily could have done terribly on the classes I got A's in (I wasn't sure), but, I feel like a 3.488 on a resume doesn't look nearly as good as a 3.5.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:58 pm

A- in t&e

O
M
G
!!!!!

i didnt finish elective shares and thus oculdnt write about the last BLATANTLY obvious issue and was FREAKING OUT and just praying I got median!

OH MY GOD

most slackerest semester yet and going straight A-'s so far! one grade left: fam law...and i predicted A so hopefully that one is rt!!!

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:52 pm

All 3 grades in: A-, A, B+. Low grade was Tax which gave me fits and nightmares all semester long. Given how low my midterm grade was, I consider the B+ a success.

First semester of law school GPA: 3.22 (A-, B+, B+, B-)
GPA since: 3.75 (A+, A, A-, A-, A-, B+).

Dear 0L's, don't fuck up your first semester. It IS the reason I don't have a job.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:30 pm

If there is a semester to kick ass, it is first semester. Puts you in a good position for 1L summer, and I suspect that it's harder to excel second semester than first - by then more people have an idea of what's going on and distinguishing yourself is much more difficult. That said, how much harder could I have worked first semester? Probably not much.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:09 am

Geist13 wrote:All 3 grades in: A-, A, B+. Low grade was Tax which gave me fits and nightmares all semester long. Given how low my midterm grade was, I consider the B+ a success.

First semester of law school GPA: 3.22 (A-, B+, B+, B-)
GPA since: 3.75 (A+, A, A-, A-, A-, B+).

Dear 0L's, don't fuck up your first semester. It IS the reason I don't have a job.

I love how all the curves are different at every school, and people's expectations. Your 3.22 first semester would have been extremely respectable at my school--in fact that would have put you just inside the top 25% here, haha. Congrats on rocking out after that, though! :)

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:29 am

managed to snag two As this semester after never getting any during 1L....happy but wish they came before EIP

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:28 pm

:( :( :( :(

I got a B in fam law :(

how they hell did that happen.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:39 pm

I wish I hadn't signed up for 2 curved classes this semester...

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:34 pm

goosey wrote::( :( :( :(

It's the age-old law of law school. The exam you study for the most and/or felt best walking out of is the one you'll do the worst in. The exam you studied for the least and/or felt worst walking out of will be your best grade. Totes happened to me this semester. A+ in the class I studied for the least and guessed 50% of the MC questions; B+ in the class I outlined since early October and re-read every single case covered, and thought I got all except 1 or 2 MC questions.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:37 pm

zomginternets wrote:

It's the age-old law of law school. The exam you study for the most and/or felt best walking out of is the one you'll do the worst in. The exam you studied for the least and/or felt worst walking out of will be your best grade. Totes happened to me this semester. A+ in the class I studied for the least and guessed 50% of the MC questions; B+ in the class I outlined since early October and re-read every single case covered, and thought I got all except 1 or 2 MC questions.

I've felt horrible about every exam I've taken in law school.

Pato_09

Postby Pato_09 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Did anybody take 2 seminar classes, and thought it was too much work or just fine?

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:50 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:managed to snag two As this semester after never getting any during 1L....happy but wish they came before EIP

ya was below median 1L but the GPA from this semester would've put me in top 10%. where were these skills last year??? i didn't even work harder, just used study aids instead of doing the reading.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:06 pm

zomginternets wrote:

i studied the most foe tax this semester and got an A-
i studied for this an aggregate of 10 hours. but fam law is so easy that this is more than enough time to learn the law. i def knew the law. i just suck at these types of exams. i do well on the typical issue spotter---both of my lowest grades have been on exams where the professor has specific things he wants and nothing else. i have done the most poorly on the super easy classes :cry: :cry: :cry: ::mourns my potential 3.5 gpa::

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:05 pm

Damn, my hope of raising my class rank has been temporarily torpedoed. Thanks, ConLaw, for the C. On the bright side, thanks to my other (non-shit) grades, my GPA is still alright.

Guess I'm going to have to step it up this semester (TYBG for P/F externship credit).

thescienceguy

Postby thescienceguy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:28 am

traehekat wrote:
thescienceguy wrote:I got a C+ in a business school course that doesn't count towards my GPA, but nevertheless shows up on my transcript. Am I screwed in terms of getting an offer this summer? Kinda freaking out because the C+ is pretty terrible. My GPA has otherwise gone up.

I went on 10+ callbacks. Got 0's on a bunch of quizzes that my prof wouldn't let me make up. Am I fucked?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:51 am

thescienceguy wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I went on 10+ callbacks. Got 0's on a bunch of quizzes that my prof wouldn't let me make up. Am I fucked?

Why would you be fucked? What firm is going to give a fuck about a letter grade that doesn't even affect your GPA? If it comes up, just say exactly what happened...which sounds like a perfectly fine excuse. Stop worrying about things you shouldn't be worrying about.

memo2partner

Postby memo2partner » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:55 am

goosey wrote:
zomginternets wrote:

i studied the most foe tax this semester and got an A-
i studied for this an aggregate of 10 hours. but fam law is so easy that this is more than enough time to learn the law. i def knew the law. i just suck at these types of exams. i do well on the typical issue spotter---both of my lowest grades have been on exams where the professor has specific things he wants and nothing else. i have done the most poorly on the super easy classes :cry: :cry: :cry: ::mourns my potential 3.5 gpa::

it's the curve, brah

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:46 am

Cupidity wrote:I still don't have a job, so I guess my grades matter --unless you concede that I'm just fucked regardless.

I'm actually working on a take home due at noon. :(

Need sleep, need to get off TLS.

yep.. fuck this shit

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”