2L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Grizz

Re: 2L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:22 pm

Antilles Haven wrote:
goodolgil wrote:For some reason I thought the upperclass curve was more lenient here. I was completely wrong--it's the exact same thing.

I was more thinking that 2L's would care less, making the curve easier. This was almost the opposite of true for 3/4 of my classes :| .

I cared less, and it did NOT work out

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:23 pm

Smaller classes that you're interested in will help.

Antilles Haven

Postby Antilles Haven » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:24 pm

Grizz wrote:
Antilles Haven wrote:
goodolgil wrote:For some reason I thought the upperclass curve was more lenient here. I was completely wrong--it's the exact same thing.

I was more thinking that 2L's would care less, making the curve easier. This was almost the opposite of true for 3/4 of my classes :| .

I cared less, and it did NOT work out

Personal striverisms aside, you can actually afford to :/

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:28 pm

We all should have gone to NU, land of the gentleman's A-. I am petitioning UVA to adopt this system retroactively.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:39 pm

kalvano wrote:Smaller classes that you're interested in will help.

I'm not that interested in anything due to my dislike of lawl school.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:41 pm

Another B+ rolled in. Meh city.

I got the grade for that class too. Will take the B, considering that class was a beast, I barely understood it and I definitely didn't approach it right (might P/F too, depending on the rest of my grades). I'm actually thrilled my grade wasn't in the C-range considering how badly I bombed 2/3 quizzes.

ETA: I'm also going to go back to caring and liking law school. I miss my pretty shine-y grades from last year.
Last edited by keg411 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 02122015 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:07 am

My first grade is in today. I got a barfing face sticker in crim, which I saw coming since I was a terrible student in that class and knew it. Three to go, which should presumably be better than that.

dudders

Postby dudders » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:49 am

Antilles Haven wrote:I was more thinking that 2L's would care less, making the curve easier. This was almost the opposite of true for 3/4 of my classes :| .

this. got 2/4 grades today, including my worst grade in law school (in a class I thought I knew the material cold and did well in). fml. i busted my ass all semester, worked harder than 1L, and did worse.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:54 am

B+ on a test I thought I nailed well enough to get an A-. And this was supposed to be my strong class, since the other 2 were disasters. Fingers crossed that both end up B's. I can take B+, B, B, and will improve on it next semester. The idea is to avoid getting grades in the no-offer zone.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:00 am

kaiser wrote:The idea is to avoid getting grades in the no-offer zone.

pure speculation as to whether this zone even exists.

or at least thats what i keep telling myself...

mths

Postby mths » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:25 am

dailygrind wrote:I need more tales of people who didn't make it to class but still rocked out. Or at least didn't take a severe beating.

didn't go, same grades essentially

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:54 am

mths wrote:
dailygrind wrote:I need more tales of people who didn't make it to class but still rocked out. Or at least didn't take a severe beating.

didn't go, same grades essentially

An inspiration to us all.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:40 am

traehekat wrote:

I bugged out about this all last year to find out it doesn't exist, for most firms.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:05 pm

just found out I got a B+ in the class i took pass/fail---torn as to whether I should be happy about not having that count in my gpa or annoyed. my overall gpa is above 3.3, but I also have a B- in there from first year, which this B+ would also help to offset. my horrible math tells me that having the grade actually count would have lowered my overall gpa..is that true?

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:31 pm

goosey wrote:just found out I got a B+ in the class i took pass/fail---torn as to whether I should be happy about not having that count in my gpa or annoyed. my overall gpa is above 3.3, but I also have a B- in there from first year, which this B+ would also help to offset. my horrible math tells me that having the grade actually count would have lowered my overall gpa..is that true?

Anything below your average would lower your average. Hence, 3.3 would be bad.

Antilles Haven

Postby Antilles Haven » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:31 pm

goosey wrote:just found out I got a B+ in the class i took pass/fail---torn as to whether I should be happy about not having that count in my gpa or annoyed. my overall gpa is above 3.3, but I also have a B- in there from first year, which this B+ would also help to offset. my horrible math tells me that having the grade actually count would have lowered my overall gpa..is that true?

If your gpa was above a 3.3, and a B+ is a 3.3, then it would have lowered your gpa. Be glad, the math gods smile kindly upon you this time.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I bugged out about this all last year to find out it doesn't exist, for most firms.

that "for most firms" bit aint helping ;x

nymario

Postby nymario » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Final grade in -- overall drop in cumulative GPA was only about 0.065 -- certainly not the end of the world and certainly not in the mythical "no offer" zone, even if it exists.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Antilles Haven wrote:

If your gpa was above a 3.3, and a B+ is a 3.3, then it would have lowered your gpa. Be glad, the math gods smile kindly upon you this time.

:lol: :lol:

damn...so I guess I better get at least an A- for my next two classes...or an A and a B+ would do the trick too. which is what I predicted, but there is also the chance that I get a C on the exam I think I got an A on. I have never gotten higher than an A- on a law school exam...I feel like there is some fundamental weakness in how I take exams that keeps me from getting an A, ever. Can't seem to figure out what it is...I even reviewed exams with most of my professors but cant seem to find a common theme. anyone else?

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Checking in.

Missed about 3 weeks of class for interviews/callbacks, had spotty attendance, didn't make a single outline, and only actually worked hard for the last couple weeks before finals. Got stuck in all shitty, curved gunner classes because I overslept at my girlfriend's place on registration day in the spring.

A, A, A, A+, Pass (school curves to a B)

I kinda feel guilty.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:36 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote: actually worked hard for the last couple weeks before finals.

Well there you go. That's all I did 1l year too

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:55 pm

First Grade in: B+ in tax. It's good in the sense that I hated that class more than life itself and was well below median on the midterm. It's bad in the sense that I'm a 2L w/o a job who can't really afford a B+ in a 4 credit course. It's also breaks my string of 4 straight A range grades.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:19 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Checking in.

Missed about 3 weeks of class for interviews/callbacks, had spotty attendance, didn't make a single outline, and only actually worked hard for the last couple weeks before finals. Got stuck in all shitty, curved gunner classes because I overslept at my girlfriend's place on registration day in the spring.

A, A, A, A+, Pass (school curves to a B)

I kinda feel guilty.

damn you.

but also: thats aweosme, congrats

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:26 pm

I <3 Northwestern grade inflation so hard right now.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:35 pm

I'm not really a fan of this number grading system. I want letters.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”