2L Fall Grade Waiting Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Holly Golightly

Gold

Re: 2L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:38 pm

mths wrote:
dailygrind wrote:I need more tales of people who didn't make it to class but still rocked out. Or at least didn't take a severe beating.
didn't go, same grades essentially
To date, I have gotten almost all of my highest grades in classes I did not attend and/or did not read for.

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:13 pm

first grade...shocked in a negative way, not sure what happened.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:33 pm

You all get grades way earlier than I do. Was jealous last year, now I hope I never get mine.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:28 pm

Got my first grade in for the most difficult course I took this semester (Corporations). I took almost every weekend off to fly and see my girlfriend. Missed about 3 weeks of class for callbacks/interviews, never read, and daydreamed through most of the semester including finals week. Got an A... lol

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:28 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
mths wrote:
dailygrind wrote:I need more tales of people who didn't make it to class but still rocked out. Or at least didn't take a severe beating.
To date, I have gotten almost all of my highest grades in classes I did not attend and/or did not read for.
Spent most of finals playing modern warfare 3, highest GPA so far :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:30 am

D-hops wrote:I <3 Northwestern grade inflation so hard right now.
Hmm. So how bad is a B+ at NU?

Actually...
bdubs wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Do any 2Ls know of a rough guide of translating GPA to percentile?
From another NU thread:
rayiner wrote:
eliekedourie wrote:Can anyone clue me in on what GPA is top 10%, 25% and the like. I know they don't post class rank, but I'm just trying to get a sense of where I fall. Thanks.
3.8 - top 10%
3.65 - top 25%
3.5 - top 35%
3.35 - top 50%
If this scale is accurate then I'm pretty happy considering the embarrassingly low amount of work I put into last semester.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:24 am

traehekat wrote:
If this scale is accurate then I'm pretty happy considering the embarrassingly low amount of work I put into last semester.
The scale definitely doesn't hold after 1L. There is a lot of grade inflation.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:43 am

Desert Fox wrote:
traehekat wrote:
mother...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:22 am

traehekat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
traehekat wrote:
mother...
Well IIRC took hard classes. There are no gentlemans A- in curved hard classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:48 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
mths wrote:
I've had a pretty good feel for most of my grades (they came where I was putting in the work/had a strong prior background). I suspect things are going to be bad for me this semester, but I've got my fingers crossed.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:48 am

Desert Fox wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
traehekat wrote:
mother...
Well IIRC took hard classes. There are no gentlemans A- in curved hard classes.
well last semester i took 2 uncurved classes (seminar and trial ad) and 1 curved class (BA). i actually did the best in BA, so i dunno! im assuming a b+ in a seminar is just a huge fail, right?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:58 am

traehekat wrote: im assuming a b+ in a seminar is just a huge fail, right?
Did you shit on your prof's desk?

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:59 am

traehekat wrote:
D-hops wrote:I <3 Northwestern grade inflation so hard right now.
Hmm. So how bad is a B+ at NU?

Actually...
bdubs wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Do any 2Ls know of a rough guide of translating GPA to percentile?
From another NU thread:
rayiner wrote:
eliekedourie wrote:Can anyone clue me in on what GPA is top 10%, 25% and the like. I know they don't post class rank, but I'm just trying to get a sense of where I fall. Thanks.
3.8 - top 10%
3.65 - top 25%
3.5 - top 35%
3.35 - top 50%
Ugh. Freakin NU and their grade inflation. Our top 10% normally hovers around a 3.5ish. I'm always ecstatic if I get a B+ or higher.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:00 am

as stars burn wrote: Ugh. Freakin NU and their grade inflation. Our top 10% normally hovers around a 3.5ish. I'm always ecstatic if I get a B+ or higher.
I wonder if judges are onto us.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:09 am

IAFG wrote:
traehekat wrote: im assuming a b+ in a seminar is just a huge fail, right?
Did you shit on your prof's desk?
I lol'd

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:14 am

Always Credited wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
mths wrote:
Spent most of finals playing modern warfare 3, highest GPA so far :?
Logged over 3 days of online game time on MW3 DURING finals...grades went up. LULZ.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:09 pm

bjsesq wrote:Clinic: B+. This is generally a guaranteed A, but I was difficult to reach and missed a couple of the once a week classes.

Gunner class: B/B-. A gunner class that I attended twice. Oddly enough, my worthless UG CJUS major may save me on this one and get me to median. I seriously doubt it, given the other students in the class.

Trial ad classes: A- and B+. Despite my lack of prep, I am just decent at it.
I was dead on in overall gpa. Trial ad was A-, but the ethics portion was a B and bump Clinic up. Know thyself, boo.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:11 pm

still waiting on last two grades. ridiculous. i would like to send resumes out for summer and cant because i dont have a new gpa/rank yet

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Tax was just as bad as I thought it was. Got a B-. I was so stupid to take all large curved gunner classes. So that puts me at B+ for the one class I felt went ok, a B-, and one still pending (likely will be a B).

I am a transfer so I get some leeway in assessing whether my GPA "dropped" for purposes of offers this summer (since GPA from new school and old school are like apples and oranges), and I am confident my grades next semester will rise by virtue of me taking smaller courses in areas I am more interested in, and the fact that I won't miss a month of class for interviews. But despite these reasons for optimism, I am seriously worried that this B+, B, B- semester will get me no offered, even from a firm that claims 100% offers the past 3 years.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Had three classes so far this semester. None seem gunner-y. Happy with this development.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:15 pm

kaiser wrote:Tax was just as bad as I thought it was. Got a B-. I was so stupid to take all large curved gunner classes. So that puts me at B+ for the one class I felt went ok, a B-, and one still pending (likely will be a B).

I am a transfer so I get some leeway in assessing whether my GPA "dropped" for purposes of offers this summer (since GPA from new school and old school are like apples and oranges), and I am confident my grades next semester will rise by virtue of me taking smaller courses in areas I am more interested in, and the fact that I won't miss a month of class for interviews. But despite these reasons for optimism, I am seriously worried that this B+, B, B- semester will get me no offered, even from a firm that claims 100% offers the past 3 years.
Don't sweat it. I had a similar experience after my transfer and still got the full-time offer. During your SA, your evaluators are likely far more concerned with your (1) work product and (2) ability to work in a firm environment. Flawless writing and social skills get you the offer at just about all firms, especially firms that poast a 100% offer rate for the past 3 years.

An anectodal FWIW: last year I spoke with a NYC biglaw recruiting coordinator about grade drops and offers...she told me that only once they had an issue, but it was because an SA basically failed a class...that SA still got the offer, however, but was told to "tighten up" the schoolwork effort going forward. LOLdontsweatit!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:17 pm

my fam law grade is posting soon. i predicted an A. but I am absolutely terrified. please dont be below a B+...please. but really, please be an A

Antilles Haven

Bronze

Post by Antilles Haven » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Class with 10 people in it, taken 34 days ago, the grade was due by the school january 3rd, still not in yet. I thought this was a 1L specific problem :|

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:32 pm

Got an A in Crim Pro. My first law school A - and thankfully slightly counterbalances my B in PR. Now I'm just waiting on copyright, and hopefully it's enough to keep me on the dean's list. Grades going up second year is a big ol' pooey falisity.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:07 pm

My GPA actually went up a bit even though I took only curved gunner classes (Biz Org, Tax, Crim Pro, Admin) and did very little work compared to 1L year. Doesnt make any sense...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”