Thoughts on Extended Time for Students with Disabilities

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MrPapagiorgio

Thoughts on Extended Time for Students with Disabilities

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Just wondering what TLSers think about students who get extended time for supposed disabilities such as ADD. I know quite a few students in my section who have it but don't ask for the test taking accommodations and two in my section who are. Personally I think that if you've managed to get this far (I'm at a T30), it shouldn't be an issue. But maybe I'm being ignorant. TLS thoughts?

Eliyahu7

Re: Thoughts on Extended Time for Students with Disabilities

Postby Eliyahu7 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:20 pm

I was diagnosed with ADD in the second grade. I never asked for a freebie or needed one. No judge is ever gonna give me an exception, so why would I want to be accommodated in the learning stage?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:23 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Just wondering what TLSers think about students who get extended time for supposed disabilities such as ADD. I know quite a few students in my section who have it but don't ask for the test taking accommodations and two in my section who are. Personally I think that if you've managed to get this far (I'm at a T30), it shouldn't be an issue. But maybe I'm being ignorant. TLS thoughts?

DOOM ON ALL WITH MODS!

crEEp

Postby crEEp » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:25 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Just wondering what TLSers think about students who get extended time for supposed disabilities such as ADD. I know quite a few students in my section who have it but don't ask for the test taking accommodations and two in my section who are. Personally I think that if you've managed to get this far (I'm at a T30), it shouldn't be an issue. But maybe I'm being ignorant. TLS thoughts?

I used to feel the exact same way as you; in fact, I resented them. I thought it was bullshit akin to Scientology and chiropractics. Then, I got chewed the fuck out by someone who, uh, to put it mildly, actually knew what they were talking about. Disabilities like ADHD are real; someone's innate skill can often mask the disorder in their earlier years, which means they're never diagnosed.

As soon as their innate skill is unable to compensate, the disorder takes over, leaving the person feeling completely clueless as to what's occurring. Depression, anxiety, etc. can take over, leaving the person feeling absolutely miserable and oblivious as to what's occurring. It's not about them taking the "easy way out" -- it's about treatment of an underlying condition to prevent it from spiraling out of control into something like depression and anxiety--both of which are entirely real diseases.

Of course, MANY people abuse the compensation they're offered. Some will take it a step further and try to get any doctor to write them a prescription for adderall or whatever. These practices are deplorable, but my personal belief is that type 1 errors (treating people who don't have the disease) are better than type 2 errors (withholding treatment from the people who do). The liars/cheaters can't play that game forever.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:26 pm

crEEp wrote:

I used to feel the exact same way as you; in fact, I resented them. I thought it was bullshit akin to Scientology and chiropractics. Then, I got chewed the fuck out by someone who, uh, to put it mildly, actually knew what they were talking about. Disabilities like ADHD are real; someone's innate skill can often mask the disorder in their earlier years, which means they're never diagnosed.

As soon as their innate skill is unable to compensate, the disorder takes over, leaving the person feeling completely clueless as to what's occurring. Depression, anxiety, etc. can take over, leaving the person feeling absolutely miserable and oblivious as to what's occurring. It's not about them taking the "easy way out" -- it's about treatment of an underlying condition to prevent it from spiraling out of control into something like depression and anxiety--both of which are entirely real diseases.

Of course, MANY people abuse the compensation they're offered. Some will take it a step further and try to get any doctor to write them a prescription for adderall or whatever. These practices are deplorable, but my personal belief is that type 1 errors (treating people who don't have the disease) are better than type 2 errors (withholding treatment from the people who do). The liars/cheaters can't play that game forever.

Thanks for breaking it down for us.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:30 pm

crEEp wrote:

Interesting. And am not looking to start a war. Just trying to see what the prevailing opinion was on justified additional time vs. people who are taking advantage of the policy.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:33 pm

They should either get to use their meds (Adderal, etc.) or they should get extra time. I disagree with allowing them to use both in the "level playing field" world of law school testing.

crEEp

Postby crEEp » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:33 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Interesting. And am not looking to start a war. Just trying to see what the prevailing opinion was on justified additional time vs. people who are taking advantage of the policy.

Being that this is TLS, the prevailing opinion is obviously that extra time and medication unjustly enrich those diagnosed.

Being that this is TLS, ignorance abounds; the truth is more nuanced, and skeptics should do some research before mindlessly blurting out their uninformed opinion.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:35 pm

How common is it for students to get accommodations on law school exams? I don't know of anybody who has gotten them in my class, but I also haven't been looking.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:37 pm

crEEp wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:Interesting. And am not looking to start a war. Just trying to see what the prevailing opinion was on justified additional time vs. people who are taking advantage of the policy.

Being that this is TLS, the prevailing opinion is obviously that extra time and medication unjustly enrich those diagnosed.

Being that this is TLS, ignorance abounds; the truth is more nuanced, and skeptics should do some research before mindlessly blurting out their uninformed opinion.

This 8)

The internet is SERIOUS you guys.

+1 for the dramatic use of repetition.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm neither a doctor nor an administrator, but I trust that the administrators at my school are aware of the issues and take them into consideration when developing policy.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:48 pm

I think it also depends on both they type and degree of the disability.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:48 pm

crEEp wrote:

-1 for making me think about Contracts when I'm in Crim study mode.

RelativeEase

Postby RelativeEase » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:55 pm

its bullshit. I cant type as fast as 99% of my class. Id like extra time too.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:57 pm

I need extra time to get smoke a cig during an exam. My body is nicotine deficient! NDD! :( :twisted:

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:12 pm

Guchster wrote:

I need extra time to get smoke a cig during an exam. My body is nicotine deficient! NDD! :( :twisted:

I wonder what would happen if you lit up mid exam

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:24 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Guchster wrote:

Can't imagine it would be looked upon favorably. Dude next to me in my k's exam packed a lip but obviously smoking is a little more obvious.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:30 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Guchster wrote:

My boss was telling me how back in the day they used to have smoking and non-smoking test rooms instead of mac and pc rooms.

Also, I don't know that i think it is entirely fair. I understand that that they might need the extra time, but they aren't going to get it in the real world, so, I think it gives employers a false sense of what sort of employee they are getting.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Rumor at my school is that a 1L broke her non-dominant arm and got 20 hours to take an exam.... if I can verify, I'm going to go play in traffic.

Edit: I'm not sure what the original time limit was. If it was an 8 hour take home exam that wouldn't be worth it.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:37 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Guchster wrote:

My boss was telling me how back in the day they used to have smoking and non-smoking test rooms instead of mac and pc rooms.

Several people in my exams have gone out for a smoke break (5-10 minutes) during the exam. No one has actually lit up in the room, though it wouldn't really surprise me to see someone do it at this point. Also, y'all have separate rooms for people using Macs and PCs?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:38 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Rumor at my school is that a 1L broke her non-dominant arm and got 20 hours to take an exam.... if I can verify, I'm going to go play in traffic.

sounds like an exaggeration. someone here broke their dominant arm (not that it matters, I need both hands equally to type at any reasonable pace), got a little extra time and a typist.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:41 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Guchster wrote:

Moderators tell you to stop.

And students give you some bitchy attitude #secondhandsmokeKILLZ

I usually will light it, take a puff, put it out before I get yelled at. I do this at the start of each question while I strategize my next plan of attack.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:41 pm

IAFG wrote:I'm neither a doctor nor an administrator, but I trust that the administrators at my school are aware of the issues and take them into consideration when developing policy.

This. Extra time is not handed out like candy, and many people who could qualify for accommodations of one sort or another never request them. Does this mean no one ever tries to game the system? Of course not, but administrators are not stupid, and if anything, schools could do more to reach out to students with disabilities who may feel intimidated or stigmatized by the whole process. It's hard enough to talk about anything that smacks of "mental illness", given preconceived notions.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:45 pm

IAFG wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Rumor at my school is that a 1L broke her non-dominant arm and got 20 hours to take an exam.... if I can verify, I'm going to go play in traffic.

sounds like an exaggeration. someone here broke their dominant arm (not that it matters, I need both hands equally to type at any reasonable pace), got a little extra time and a typist.

A typist? Nice.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:46 pm

IAFG wrote:

Yeah, maybe. My first rational thought was that it would make sense with a 8 hour take home done by hand though.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”