Would you tell the professor if...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ladylegale

Re: Would you tell the professor if...

Postby ladylegale » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:26 pm

AJaKe wrote:
Geist13 wrote:I wouldn't say anything. I also probably wouldn't ever interact with that person again. If they asked why, I would say "cause you're a fucking dishonest person; I should have turned you in, but that shit is overdramatic."

I think I agree with this response the most, I mean - they're a friend, but that was just shady.

Thank God I don't have any friends like you! If this person is truly your friend then you should be able to tell them what you think about their behavior instead of being a passive aggressive little pigeon sh*t. Then u guys should go have a cocktail! Honestly, I don't see anything good coming out of telling the professor. First of all, its her word against yours. 2nd of all, you can't tell on her without admitting that you were talking about the exam with another student during the exam. This makes you look extremely hypocritical & your professor would probably loose a shred of respect for you for pulling this stunt. Besides, I'm sure plenty of your classmates went back to do a little "editing" to their exams when they realized the glitch.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Wait... are you a 3L?

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:38 pm

IAFG wrote:Wait... are you a 3L?

If this.

Postby 071816 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:40 pm

wtf is a chinese wall?

dood wrote:yea i apologize for my rude reply. are u a girl? show us naked pictures and all will be forgiven.

LOL

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:42 pm

chimp wrote:wtf is a chinese wall?

Clearly OP's friend is a Mongolian.

Postby 071816 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:44 pm

--ImageRemoved--

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:49 pm

auntjulia wrote:Doing the right thing doesn't have benefits. That's life. Ratting out your friend is bad

In civilized society we refer to people as Chinese and walls as oriental

great pic, lol so very applicable

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:53 pm

auntjulia wrote:p.s. OP, you're not an asshole or and a bad person**

FTFY

crEEp

Postby crEEp » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:11 pm

AJaKe wrote:So my law school friend and I were taking an exam at her house. It was a three-hour "take home", open notes and all that. We had studied together in the morning and just decided to take it together at her dining room table with a "Chinese wall" type of set up, so we wouldn't be colluding.

Test turn-in time comes around and the system to turn it in goes down. I freak, e-mail mine to the professor's secretary and e-mail student affairs. She has only done 2 of the 4 questions so she continues to type without attempting to turn it in at all. 30 minutes later the Dean sends an e-mail to the class about the problems submitting and says to submit it to the secretary. 45 minutes after that my friend turns in her paper, having managed to complete the last 2 questions.

The end of the day the Professor sends an e-mail saying that all the papers were considered "timely" turned in. I honestly don't know how this can be. The friend has no medical reason, no extra time allowed.

Do you think you would have an ethical obligation to say something, or is it just one of those things you should just let go?

What would you do?

Ignore the bullshit responses on here calling you a bad person or whatever; the words emphasized above are all that matter. If she's your friend, you have more of an obligation to her than you do to the school (in this context). That means presuming there MIGHT be issues about which you do not know. Honor code pledge or not, the school won't have your back if things go to hell. A friend would.

You can play the law school game and try treat this like you would a fact pattern on an exam, but if you do that, you're just affirming your solidarity with everything people hate about law students.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:23 pm

Turn her in, she broke the rules and should be punished. It is the right thing to do.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:28 pm

luthersloan wrote:Turn her in, she broke the rules and should be punished. It is the right thing to do.

I don't think there is any situation in which that would be right. You sir are the devil. :twisted:

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:42 pm

OP doesn't give a shit about the "honor code" or the "right thing". This is about his/her grade. If this was work and the boss said to have something on his desk by 9, but then got stuck in traffic and your "friend" turned it in at 9:30, would you tell on them? No, because in the real world, this shit doesn't matter. The only reason you are considering this is because of the law school competition atmosphere. Pat your "friend" on the back and move on you whiny bitch.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Of course, that analogy is not really correct. Since the whole point is, in the real world, you boss would not care. The better analogy would be opposing counsel files something a minute passed the deadline with a court, an entity that will care.

downing

Postby downing » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:48 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Is this serious?

It's your FRIEND. God, stop being such gunnerish douchebags.

serrrrrriously. No, but seriously, this.

snailio

Postby snailio » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:52 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
luthersloan wrote:Turn her in, she broke the rules and should be punished. It is the right thing to do.

I don't think there is any situation in which that would be right. You sir are the devil. :twisted:

Ask her if you can punish her :twisted:

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:01 am

Is this a timed system? Like examsoft, where you start the exam, and you have X amount of time to turn it in from when you start?

Because if so, I wouldn't take the email that 'all papers are timely' to mean much of anything, they can see when a person started the exam and if they handed it in 45 minutes late without explanation or frantic "I CAN'T UPLOAD MY EXAM FILE!!!!" email...it might be taken care of on a case by case basis. The fact nobody told YOU about it doesn't mean that they aren't aware of it.

If not, I would say I'm sure it occurred to the prof that some people may have taken extra time, and I'd let him/her worry about how to figure it out.

Postby 071816 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:29 am

I have an idea. Send your "friend" a serious email saying that you are thinking about reporting her and that what she did was very unprofessional. Then proceed to extort money from her. Enjoy.

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:13 am

I am surprised something like this is even possible. All of our exams required the use of special software that time stamps the documents from the moment you begin. That your lawschool wouldn't do so is shocking considering the importance of grades. Incidentally, I had no problem sharing outlines with friends and otherwise helping people to prepare for finals. However, I would report my own brother if he cheated on an exam, especially where there is a hard curve.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:27 am

even if you decided to go ahead and turn them in, could you actually prove anything? Cause if it's your word against their's, your SOL

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:28 am

chimp wrote:I have an idea. Send your "friend" a serious email saying that you are thinking about reporting her and that what she did was very unprofessional. Then proceed to extort money from her. Enjoy.

8) I like your thinking

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:32 am

My friend that I met during 1L's father just hired me at his awesome boutique firm for the summer. What is more valuable, your chance at being one spot ahead on the curve, or the chance she is the one who helps you land a sweet job?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:34 am

Cupidity wrote:My friend that I met during 1L's father just hired me at his awesome boutique firm for the summer. What is more valuable, your chance at being one spot ahead on the curve, or the chance she is the one who helps you land a sweet job?

especially with this in your arsenal :wink: :wink: :wink:

I'm kidding

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:40 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Cupidity wrote:My friend that I met during 1L's father just hired me at his awesome boutique firm for the summer. What is more valuable, your chance at being one spot ahead on the curve, or the chance she is the one who helps you land a sweet job?

especially with this in your arsenal

I'm kidding

FTFY

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:55 am

WayBryson wrote:I am surprised something like this is even possible. All of our exams required the use of special software that time stamps the documents from the moment you begin. That your lawschool wouldn't do so is shocking considering the importance of grades. Incidentally, I had no problem sharing outlines with friends and otherwise helping people to prepare for finals. However, I would report my own brother if he cheated on an exam, especially where there is a hard curve.

Our system is similar to that OP describes.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:59 am

IAFG wrote:
WayBryson wrote:I am surprised something like this is even possible. All of our exams required the use of special software that time stamps the documents from the moment you begin. That your lawschool wouldn't do so is shocking considering the importance of grades. Incidentally, I had no problem sharing outlines with friends and otherwise helping people to prepare for finals. However, I would report my own brother if he cheated on an exam, especially where there is a hard curve.

Our system is similar to that OP describes.

Same. I guess not all law schools treat their students like mischievous little cheats.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”