Would you tell the professor if...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dood

Re: Would you tell the professor if...

Postby dood » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:26 pm

AJaKe wrote:
dood wrote:ITT: TLS takes out post-finals frustration on AJaKe's butthole.

lol

Apparently people feel really strongly about this. I just didn't know if I should have said something or not - geez, people.

yea i apologize for my rude reply. are u a girl? show us naked pictures and all will be forgiven.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:26 pm

That is pretty unfair but honestly most of your classmates probably did the same thing so screwing your friend over wont accomplish you much. I know its unfair but there isnt a lot that you can do unless you want to email your dean back and express your concerns.

I think people are not addressing this issue with the appropriate level of frustration they would feel if they were in the OPs shoes.

Crappy situation.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Geist13 wrote:I wouldn't say anything. I also probably wouldn't ever interact with that person again. If they asked why, I would say "cause you're a fucking dishonest person; I should have turned you in, but that shit is overdramatic."

Jessuf wrote:this.

AJaKe wrote:I think I agree with this response the most, I mean - they're a friend, but that was just shady.

Three fucking people think that being passive-aggressive is the right thing to do? You've got to be shitting me.

truevines

Postby truevines » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:41 pm

AJaKe wrote:So my law school friend and I were taking an exam at her house. It was a three-hour "take home", open notes and all that. We had studied together in the morning and just decided to take it together at her dining room table with a "Chinese wall" type of set up, so we wouldn't be colluding.

Test turn-in time comes around and the system to turn it in goes down. I freak, e-mail mine to the professor's secretary and e-mail student affairs. She has only done 2 of the 4 questions so she continues to type without attempting to turn it in at all. 30 minutes later the Dean sends an e-mail to the class about the problems submitting and says to submit it to the secretary. 45 minutes after that my friend turns in her paper, having managed to complete the last 2 questions.

The end of the day the Professor sends an e-mail saying that all the papers were considered "timely" turned in. I honestly don't know how this can be. The friend has no medical reason, no extra time allowed.

Do you think you would have an ethical obligation to say something, or is it just one of those things you should just let go?

What would you do?

Are you a dude and is your "FRIEND" hot?
You might have earned yourself free sex for 2.5 years or more.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:47 pm

truevines wrote:
AJaKe wrote:So my law school friend and I were taking an exam at her house. It was a three-hour "take home", open notes and all that. We had studied together in the morning and just decided to take it together at her dining room table with a "Chinese wall" type of set up, so we wouldn't be colluding.

Test turn-in time comes around and the system to turn it in goes down. I freak, e-mail mine to the professor's secretary and e-mail student affairs. She has only done 2 of the 4 questions so she continues to type without attempting to turn it in at all. 30 minutes later the Dean sends an e-mail to the class about the problems submitting and says to submit it to the secretary. 45 minutes after that my friend turns in her paper, having managed to complete the last 2 questions.

The end of the day the Professor sends an e-mail saying that all the papers were considered "timely" turned in. I honestly don't know how this can be. The friend has no medical reason, no extra time allowed.

Do you think you would have an ethical obligation to say something, or is it just one of those things you should just let go?

What would you do?

Are you a dude and is your "FRIEND" hot?
You might have earned yourself free sex for 2.5 years or more.

nah only til 2L OCI

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:48 pm

The benefit of a friend who owes you a favor is worth a lot more than the jack shit you would get for tattling.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:49 pm

Is this serious? You erected a "chinese wall" to prevent colluding? And then contemplated turning your "friend" in for taking extra time on the exam - a gamble they took that could have quite possibly ended poorly for them? If this is the prevailing attitude on friendship in law school, I think this worries me a little more than the economy does :/ I get the feeling you're both female, is your friend hot? That would explain everything, I think

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:50 pm

This thread has taken an unexpected but amusingly sexual turn.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:51 pm

plus lets get real here.. you were taking the exam together and talking about it

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:54 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:plus lets get real here.. you were taking the exam together and talking about it

Idk, someone who posts on an online forum to get advice on whether or not they should turn in their friend for a relatively trivial transgression...? Anything is possible

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:55 pm

kerflux wrote:If this is the prevailing attitude on friendship in law school, I think this worries me a little more than the economy does :/

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *gasp* HAHAHAHAHA

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:55 pm

AJaKe wrote:When I turned mine in, I told her that I e-mailed mine to the secretary and she told me that she only had 2/4 done.

I checked the honor code and it doesn't affirmatively require us to turn in someone who we know cheated on exams

cut the shit. It's over.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:57 pm

bk1 wrote:
Geist13 wrote:I wouldn't say anything. I also probably wouldn't ever interact with that person again. If they asked why, I would say "cause you're a fucking dishonest person; I should have turned you in, but that shit is overdramatic."

Jessuf wrote:this.

AJaKe wrote:I think I agree with this response the most, I mean - they're a friend, but that was just shady.

Three fucking people think that being passive-aggressive is the right thing to do? You've got to be shitting me.

Or maybe instead of even telling her to her face that you disapprove of her actions, you could leave a post-it note on her door.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:58 pm

Did you consider silently picking up her computer and smashing it into the Chinese wall in a rage before she could submit? Look sad and never break eye contact with her, then cut yourself using her shattered motherboard. ALPHA.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:58 pm

maybe the professor will offer her an RA position for her well-written and thorough answers

the11111111

Postby the11111111 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:00 pm

I am very disturbed by the fact that there may be some deranged individual who legitimately considers the option of turning in a friend for something like this... So Im going to continue to expect the best in people and consider this post a flame.... NO WAY PEOPLE ACTUALLY THINK THIS WAY

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:02 pm

the11111111 wrote:I am very disturbed by the fact that there may be some deranged individual who legitimately considers the option of turning in a friend for something like this... So Im going to continue to expect the best in people and consider this post a flame.... NO WAY PEOPLE ACTUALLY THINK THIS WAY

Have you ever met any law students?

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:03 pm

AJaKe wrote:When I turned mine in, I told her that I e-mailed mine to the secretary and she told me that she only had 2/4 done.

I checked the honor code and it doesn't affirmatively require us to turn in someone who we know cheated on exams

Plainly you should suggest a change to the honor code.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:05 pm

thesealocust wrote:
the11111111 wrote:I am very disturbed by the fact that there may be some deranged individual who legitimately considers the option of turning in a friend for something like this... So Im going to continue to expect the best in people and consider this post a flame.... NO WAY PEOPLE ACTUALLY THINK THIS WAY

TIOCTCR

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:05 pm

thesealocust wrote:

TITCQ.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:09 pm

I agree with sealocust that "Don't be a law student" is phenomenal advice in almost every situation.

the being a law student sickness is evident when u ask a friend how an exam went, they say terrible, and while u outwardly sympathize or empathize, on the inside part of u is happy because it shows that others may have found the test hard which likely will result in a more forgiving curve

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:13 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:I agree with sealocust that "Don't be a law student" is phenomenal advice in almost every situation.

the being a law student sickness is evident when u ask a friend how an exam went, they say terrible, and while u outwardly sympathize or empathize, on the inside part of u is happy because it shows that others may have found the test hard which likely will result in a more forgiving curve

You ask others how an exam went?

Don't be a law student.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:14 pm

sundance95 wrote:
whuts4lunch wrote:I agree with sealocust that "Don't be a law student" is phenomenal advice in almost every situation.

You ask others how an exam went?

Don't be a law student.

Holly I think you've started something big here.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:15 pm

its a sickness, this being a law student thing

auntjulia

Postby auntjulia » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:17 pm

I think the first mistake you made here was taking the test in the same room, "Chinese wall" or no. Not saying I'd have had the foresight not to do this but after reading this post it's something I'll avoid.

You could email the professor anonymously and tell him that you emailed the exam to the secretary right away upon finding the turn-in system down but you "overheard" or somehow otherwise discerned that someone used the technical failure to gain more time to work on the exam. Idk what he'd do with this information, maybe look at the "last modified" time on the word document or whatever format was used and penalize those who used more time.

I feel for your frustration and I think it was kind of shady of your friend to do that knowing she's giving herself an edge over friends and classmates. However, I also see her side. She's in a sort of prisoner's dilemma. She has an opportunity to keep working with no consequences, but so does everyone else in the class (besides you, at that point). There are four basic outcomes:
1. She takes the time and few others do, resulting in a great advantage to her
2. She takes the time and many others do, resulting in her leveling the playing field and not incurring any disadvantage
3. She does what you did, and if any others or lots of other end up using the extra time, get's mildly or very fucked.
4. She does what you did and so does everyone else, a completely honest class

"Studies" show that most people choose to look out for their self-interest in these situations and #2 is the most likely outcome. You were honest and you might end up getting a worse grade for it. That sucks really badly but I'd just be satisfied knowing that you did the right thing. Doing the right thing doesn't always have direct and immediate benefits. That's life.

TL;DR: Ratting out your friend directly is a bad call, you could send an email explaining the dilemma students were faced with and asking him if he's going to take any steps to insure that no one took advantage of the technical failure.

p.s. OP, you're not an asshole or a bad peron
Last edited by auntjulia on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”