Would you tell the professor if... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Re: Would you tell the professor if...

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:22 pm

goosey wrote:
AJaKe wrote:
Geist13 wrote:I wouldn't say anything. I also probably wouldn't ever interact with that person again. If they asked why, I would say "cause you're a fucking dishonest person; I should have turned you in, but that shit is overdramatic."
I think I agree with this response the most, I mean - they're a friend, but that was just shady.
I agree with the "dont tell" sentiment but for a different reason: probably most of the class did the same thing, and you telling or not makes no difference. they probably assume people took advantage of the extra time. so you were honest...and maybe that puts you at a disadvantage in terms of grade, but I would feel much better about my honestly earned B than dishonestly earned A. idealistic? yeah, sure. but at the end of the day, you need to realize that grades are important--they will help you get a job etc etc etc...but your character and who you are is way more important. in the grand scheme of things, one class will not hold you back from a job....but being a dishonest troll will hold you back in life in general..nobody likes grimey people. and to do well, you need to be smart AND likable. maybe for your friend [i'd stop being friends right abt now] one grade is worth compromising their morality, but...its a slippery slope. people that compromise themselves this early in their career to get ahead will only continue to do so.

so..point being: good for you, for being honest. it will take you further than any dishonestly earned A ever would. and dont tell...not because its "wrong" to snitch but only because I think there is an assumption that everyone did this and that your professor would not consider it cheating. so then you rat out a friend AND it is of no consequence even if you didnt. not telling is the lesser of the two evils.

THIS

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:44 pm

There are some huge implications that result from you taking the exam with this person that you want to rat out:

(1) I'm not certain of your school's honor code, but I think it's safe to assume that you were supposed to take this by yourself without any fellow students near you. I don't see how it's practical to essentially say, "I was cheating, but this person cheated more."

(2) Really, how good do you think this person's last two answers are going to be? Four questions, three hours = 45 minutes per question. This person spent 45 minute total answering the last two questions. She also probably nervously rushed these and isn't going to get much credit for them anyway.

(3) Even if you reported this person's cheating without mentioning that you took the exam with her, that person is going to make the inference that you were the rat. Who else would definitely know they went past the time other than you? Even if they use technology to confirm if he was cheating (electronic timestamp or something like that), this person is going to assume it was you who ratted them out in the first place.

(4) That person is likely to tell a lot of people in your section, many of whom probably did the same thing. As somebody stated earlier, you would be completely shunned by them. Nobody would want to have anything to do with you. Law school is tough enough, you don't need this burden.

(5) This one student cheating (if you want to call it that) is not likely to directly affect your grade. It is one student. Your professor probably has a predetermined amount of A's, A-'s, B+'s, etc. The likelihood that this person's cheating directly resulting in you dropping a letter grade is unlikely.

(6) Building on 4, even if you do report them, your grade probably isn't likely to improve. If you wrote a B+ answer, it's going to stay a B+ answer whether you report this person or not.

Thus, there are almost no benefits of reporting this person. The negative implications are huge while the likelihood of any benefit is pretty small.

What happened sucked, but you just have to deal with it and move on.
Last edited by AVBucks4239 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:47 pm

I don't know why y'all assume it won't affect OP's grade. Depending on where OP usually places, it could easily affect OP.
If there are only 2 A+'s in the class, and both of them are contenders for that, it could easily make a difference. Although, since OP's "friend" had only completed 2 of 4 questions, friend is probably not an A+ contender.

FratLaw

New

Post by FratLaw » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:48 pm

IAFG wrote:The benefit of a friend who owes you a favor is worth a lot more than the jack shit you would get for tattling.
This!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:56 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote: (4) That person is likely to tell a lot of people in your section, many of whom probably did the same thing. As somebody stated earlier, you would be completely shunned by them. Nobody would want to have anything to do with you. Law school is tough enough, you don't need this burden.
She is a 3L

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Yvonnella wrote:ALL OF THE COLORS
Welcome to TLS. I anticipate you will find your stay here pleasant and rewarding.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:10 pm

IAFG wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote: (4) That person is likely to tell a lot of people in your section, many of whom probably did the same thing. As somebody stated earlier, you would be completely shunned by them. Nobody would want to have anything to do with you. Law school is tough enough, you don't need this burden.
She is a 3L
Wow. Then why does she even care?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:10 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
She is a 3L
Wow. Then why does she even give a shit?
This has been a common theme throughout basically the entire thread.

dontTazemeBrah

New

Post by dontTazemeBrah » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:26 pm

OP is a 3L at the UniversiTTTy of Florida and still gunning...she is full of lulz

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Yvonnella

Bronze

Post by Yvonnella » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:40 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Welcome to TLS. I anticipate you will find your stay here pleasant and rewarding.
Fun with colors! I can't take an internet forum so seriously that I'm going to forego my fun. But that quote is not mine.

So far, I count two who have been distracted by something shiny.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Yvonnella wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Fun with colors! I can't take an internet forum so seriously that I'm going to forego my fun. But that quote is not mine.

TLS is srs bsns

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Yvonnella wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

tc(olorful);dr

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:29 pm

I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY FRIEND AND THEN YOU GO AND FUCKING RAT ME OUT ON TLS? WTF?

UNBELIEVABLE.

:twisted:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:33 pm

DrGuano wrote:I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY FRIEND AND THEN YOU GO AND FUCKING RAT ME OUT ON TLS? WTF?

UNBELIEVABLE.

Took 6 pages for someone to pretend to be the friend?
I'll pretend to be OP.

Cheat on my exam and I'll cheat with your girlfriend, my "friend"!

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:43 pm

ben4847 wrote:
DrGuano wrote:I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY FRIEND AND THEN YOU GO AND FUCKING RAT ME OUT ON TLS? WTF?

UNBELIEVABLE.

I'll pretend to be OP.

my girlfriend is in a coma.

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:49 pm

DrGuano wrote:
ben4847 wrote:

UNBELIEVABLE.

I'll pretend to be OP.

He's got a point, it's not cheating if she is in a coma.

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:50 pm

STLMizzou wrote:
DrGuano wrote:
ben4847 wrote:

UNBELIEVABLE.

I'll pretend to be OP.

seinfeld man...c'mon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:53 pm

bill brasky has a toenail on his penis

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:05 pm

Yvonnella wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

This is a really weird troll.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:06 pm

A simple joke from a simple man
STLMizzou wrote:
DrGuano wrote:
ben4847 wrote:

UNBELIEVABLE.

I'll pretend to be OP.

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:50 pm

willwash wrote:You can raise your concerns to your prof without name dropping, you know.
Bumping my own quote here...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Antilles Haven

Bronze

Post by Antilles Haven » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:54 pm

willwash wrote:
willwash wrote:You can raise your concerns to your prof without name dropping, you know.
Bumping my own quote here...
hint: if someone had something to say in response to it, they would have.

With that said, there's a weird amount of vitriol going around this thread.

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:07 pm

OP is a joke and a snitch, confirmed for the complete law student.

Probably has no job, still gunning as a 3L, asking the internet if she should snitch on her friend.

Yvonnella

Bronze

Post by Yvonnella » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:29 pm

LeDique wrote:
Yvonnella wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

This is a really weird troll.
I'm not a troll at all. I expressed a serious opinion earlier today that was perfectly on topic and I never said a bad word to anyone. But when people invent quotes and attribute them to me while calling me out for my use of colored fonts instead of taking the substance of my comments at face value, then I submit that they are the ones behaving like trolls, not I.

Henceforth, however, I will stop toying with font colors. I really didn't think it was that big of a deal.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:47 pm

Yvonnella wrote:I'm not a troll at all. I expressed a serious opinion earlier today that was perfectly on topic and I never said a bad word to anyone. But when people invent quotes and attribute them to me while calling me out for my use of colored fonts instead of taking the substance of my comments at face value, then I submit that they are the ones behaving like trolls, not I.

Henceforth, however, I will stop toying with font colors. I really didn't think it was that big of a deal.
MrPapagiorgio wrote:TLS is srs bsns

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”