Would you tell the professor if... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Notor

Bronze

Re: Would you tell the professor if...

Post by Notor » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:47 pm

ben4847 wrote:I'd tell.

I'm a bit surprised by the moral code represented in this thread.
Cheating is inherently bad, not at all funny, and always wrong.
Snitching is not inherently wrong, and is only wrong when done for a wrongful purpose. I don't think that protecting your grades is a wrongful purpose.
You are surprised? This person is considering snitching on her friend, a friend who was apparently such a good friend that they took a take-home exam while sitting across from each other at a dinner table. That is seriously messed up, and is more akin to betrayal.

You don't snitch on friends, period. If she was concerned about her friend cheating she should have told her to stop when she was aware that the friend was taking longer than allotted, but, in true law student fashion, was too big of a pussy to do that and now wants to go behind her friends back to snitch.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Notor wrote:

Snitching is not inherently wrong, and is only wrong when done for a wrongful purpose. I don't think that protecting your grades is a wrongful purpose.
You are surprised? This person is considering snitching on her friend, a friend who was apparently such a good friend that they took a take-home exam while sitting across from each other at a dinner table. That is seriously messed up, and is more akin to betrayal.

You don't snitch on friends, period. If she was concerned about her friend cheating she should have told her to stop when she was aware that the friend was taking longer than allotted, but, in true law student fashion, was too big of a pussy to do that and now wants to go behind her friends back to snitch.
Like there is ANY chance the friend won't be able to put two and two together?

Antilles Haven

Bronze

Post by Antilles Haven » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:12 pm

Notor wrote:You don't snitch on friends, period.
Really? If I ever walked in on my friend roofie-raping a girl, my first action would be to call the police and I wouldn't think twice about it.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:13 pm

Antilles Haven wrote:
Really? If I ever walked in on my friend roofie-raping a girl, my first action would be to call the police and I wouldn't think twice about it.
Atrocious and offensive analogy

snailio

Bronze

Post by snailio » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:15 pm

Jesus, there's a serious amount of butthurt and excess verbiage in this thread...

P.S. I always pick up the dime.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Antilles Haven

Bronze

Post by Antilles Haven » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:19 pm

IAFG wrote:
Antilles Haven wrote:
Atrocious and offensive analogy
That wasn't an analogy.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Notor wrote:

I suppose I was responding to the majority of the posters who were opposed to the snitching itself, and didn't really seem to be thinking about the fact that it was a friend.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:00 pm

luthersloan wrote:That is not really responsive, also its rude.
No, what's rude and fucking offensive is fucktards comparing child molestation to fucking exams.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:04 pm

paratactical wrote:
No, what's rude and f---ing offensive is f---tards comparing child molestation to f---ing exams.
It isn't remotely offensive, because the poster wasn't comparing them- he was giving an extreme example to make a point.
And most people consider use of the word retard or its derivatives to be offensive, when used as a pejorative.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:05 pm

ben4847 wrote:
paratactical wrote:
No, what's rude and f---ing offensive is f---tards comparing child molestation to f---ing exams.
It isn't remotely offensive, because the poster wasn't comparing them- he was giving an extreme example to make a point.
And most people consider use of the word retard or its derivatives to be offensive, when used as a pejorative.
Thanks for blanking out the curse words; they were offending my delicate sensibilities.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:06 pm

ben4847 wrote:And most people consider use of the word retard or its derivatives to be offensive, when used as a pejorative.
I highly doubt that is true.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:09 pm

What the fuck has this turned into?
Last edited by Haymarket on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:09 pm

Haymarket wrote:What the blazes has this turned into?
ftfy

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:10 pm

ben4847 wrote:
Haymarket wrote:What the blazes has this turned into?
ftfy
What the fuck kind of weird flame is this?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:11 pm

Wait, is someone getting uppity because when I write "fucktard" they see "retard"? Adorbs.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:18 pm

ben4847 wrote:
Notor wrote:

I suppose I was responding to the majority of the posters who were opposed to the snitching itself, and didn't really seem to be thinking about the fact that it was a friend.
What the fuck is this? Snitching is about being in a position of trust with the other person or when you are sticking you nose where it doesn't belong to fuck someone over who hasn't harmed you. It is always wrong. If this had been in a class room and the dude across the way who you don't like is cheating it isn't "snitching" really.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:24 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
ben4847 wrote:
Notor wrote:

What the f--- is this? Snitching is about being in a position of trust with the other person or when you are sticking you nose where it doesn't belong to f--- someone over who hasn't harmed you. It is always wrong. If this had been in a class room and the dude across the way who you don't like is cheating it isn't "snitching" really.
That is a pretty good explanation. We can roll with it. It is wrong to mess people over when it doesn't benefit you.
So, since law school exams are graded on a curve, it will necessarily hurt someone if you don't snitch, and possibly you. So nothing wrong.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:25 pm

why you gotta be an ass?

-DG

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:28 pm

If I had known it was so easy to get you all so worked up...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:31 pm

ben4847 wrote: That is a pretty good explanation. We can roll with it. It is wrong to mess people over when it doesn't benefit you.
So, since law school exams are graded on a curve, it will necessarily hurt someone if you don't snitch, and possibly you. So nothing wrong.
Right, but you are missing the position of trust aspect. It isn't like this directly hurt the OP, necessarily. It could potentially but it wasn't a malicious act. In these circumstances, if you are in a position of trust you can't snitch and if you do you suck as a person. If it was cheating in an uncurved class there would never be an ok time to tell without being labeled a snitch.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:35 pm

Hell at this point I feel like calling OPs school myself and turning her in for taking the exam with another person. I'm sure the school would love to see this thread. They could probably figure out the class op was talking about.

(I would never actuaaly do that to anyone.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:38 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
ben4847 wrote: That is a pretty good explanation. We can roll with it. It is wrong to mess people over when it doesn't benefit you.
Right, but you are missing the position of trust aspect. It isn't like this directly hurt the OP, necessarily. It could potentially but it wasn't a malicious act. In these circumstances, if you are in a position of trust you can't snitch and if you do you suck as a person. If it was cheating in an uncurved class there would never be an ok time to tell without being labeled a snitch.
Oh, I see. You are saying that betraying a position of trust is also mean.
But this wasn't really a position of trust.

As far as hurting the OP, I think it does hurt the OP, and even if it is not malicious.
I also don't agree that if it wasn't a curved class it would be so different. Even in an uncurved class, you are being judged against each other by your final grades.

I don't know. I just didn't grow up with this reflexive anti-snitching notion. Maybe I just trusted authority more.
I hear what you are saying about not stabbing people in the back to get ahead of them, but if they are wrongfully getting ahead of you, I don't see why you shouldn't stop them.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:39 pm

Keep in mind, law school students have been blackballed by their peers for far less? This is nearly ATL worthy, if not on the original fact pattern, then now when taken in conjunction with this thread.

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:37 am

Antilles Haven wrote:
If your friend was raping someone, they probably wouldn't remain your friend. I seriously doubt you would end your friendship with someone over them spending 30 extra minutes on a law school exam.

Bad example, gtfo.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 am

99% chance I would hate the OP IRL for even considering this question.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”