Would you tell the professor if...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AJaKe

Would you tell the professor if...

Postby AJaKe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:52 pm

So my law school friend and I were taking an exam at her house. It was a three-hour "take home", open notes and all that. We had studied together in the morning and just decided to take it together at her dining room table with a "Chinese wall" type of set up, so we wouldn't be colluding.

Test turn-in time comes around and the system to turn it in goes down. I freak, e-mail mine to the professor's secretary and e-mail student affairs. She has only done 2 of the 4 questions so she continues to type without attempting to turn it in at all. 30 minutes later the Dean sends an e-mail to the class about the problems submitting and says to submit it to the secretary. 45 minutes after that my friend turns in her paper, having managed to complete the last 2 questions.

The end of the day the Professor sends an e-mail saying that all the papers were considered "timely" turned in. I honestly don't know how this can be. The friend has no medical reason, no extra time allowed.

Do you think you would have an ethical obligation to say something, or is it just one of those things you should just let go?

What would you do?

theavrock

Re: Would you tell the professor if...

Postby theavrock » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:54 pm

you should probably tell Joe Paterno

southernsnapp

Postby southernsnapp » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Was it ok for yall to be taking the exam together? Even if yall weren’t collaborating on answers, your friend might say you were out of spite.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:58 pm

How do you know that your friend had only done 2 of 4 questions ?

Are you subject to any Honor Code pledge ?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:58 pm

Snitches get stitches.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Leave it alone. Don't be a law student. That's up the the prof/his secretary, not you trying to screw someone over.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:02 pm

Holly Golightly wrote: Don't be a law student.

I think I might end all of my posts from now on with this quote.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Holly Golightly wrote: Don't be a law student.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:02 pm

prof doesn't care, why should you? don't be that person

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:03 pm

When I turned mine in, I told her that I e-mailed mine to the secretary and she told me that she only had 2/4 done.

I checked the honor code and it doesn't affirmatively require us to turn in someone who we know cheated on exams

dood

Postby dood » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:07 pm

AJaKe wrote:So my law school friend and I were taking an exam at her house. It was a three-hour "take home", open notes and all that. We had studied together in the morning and just decided to take it together at her dining room table with a "Chinese wall" type of set up, so we wouldn't be colluding.

Test turn-in time comes around and the system to turn it in goes down. I freak, e-mail mine to the professor's secretary and e-mail student affairs. She has only done 2 of the 4 questions so she continues to type without attempting to turn it in at all. 30 minutes later the Dean sends an e-mail to the class about the problems submitting and says to submit it to the secretary. 45 minutes after that my friend turns in her paper, having managed to complete the last 2 questions.

The end of the day the Professor sends an e-mail saying that all the papers were considered "timely" turned in. I honestly don't know how this can be. The friend has no medical reason, no extra time allowed.

Do you think you would have an ethical obligation to say something, or is it just one of those things you should just let go?

What would you do?

i assure u a "chinese wall" defense is not going to save u. if u think u RATTING out ur friend is worth u also FAILING and a honor code violation on ur transcript - then go ahead.

edit: what would i do? not be a fucking cheater then rat out my co-cheater.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:10 pm

I wouldn't say anything. I also probably wouldn't ever interact with that person again. If they asked why, I would say "cause you're a fucking dishonest person; I should have turned you in, but that shit is overdramatic."

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:11 pm

dood wrote:
AJaKe wrote:So my law school friend and I were taking an exam at her house. It was a three-hour "take home", open notes and all that. We had studied together in the morning and just decided to take it together at her dining room table with a "Chinese wall" type of set up, so we wouldn't be colluding.

What would you do?

i assure u a "chinese wall" defense is not going to save u. if u think u RATTING out ur friend is worth u also FAILING and a honor code violation on ur transcript - then go ahead.

edit: what would i do? not be a fucking cheater then rat out my co-cheater.

This

thesealocust wrote:Snitches get stitches.

and this.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:12 pm

didnt read the other comments.. but id be a better friend and stop complaining.. if you would have just emailed the professor you coulda kept working too.. sounds like thats your bad

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:12 pm

I don't think "friend" was the word you meant to use.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:14 pm

Is this serious?

It's your FRIEND. God, stop being such gunnerish douchebags.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:15 pm

don't narc

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:16 pm

OP, you have serious life issues if you are even considering turning in your "friend". I would be more concerned with getting those ironed out.

dood

Postby dood » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:19 pm

ITT: TLS takes out post-finals frustration on AJaKe's butthole.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:20 pm

It's unfair but there's nothing you can do. Sounds like because of the technical difficulties the prof decided not to penalize anyone for being late. That meant your friend got extra time. It sucks, but you're not gonna get anything by turning them in.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Geist13 wrote:I wouldn't say anything. I also probably wouldn't ever interact with that person again. If they asked why, I would say "cause you're a fucking dishonest person; I should have turned you in, but that shit is overdramatic."

this.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:22 pm

dood wrote:ITT: TLS takes out post-finals frustration on AJaKe's butthole.

lol

Apparently people feel really strongly about this. I just didn't know if I should have said something or not - geez, people.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Geist13 wrote:I wouldn't say anything. I also probably wouldn't ever interact with that person again. If they asked why, I would say "cause you're a fucking dishonest person; I should have turned you in, but that shit is overdramatic."

I think I agree with this response the most, I mean - they're a friend, but that was just shady.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:23 pm

AJaKe wrote:
dood wrote:ITT: TLS takes out post-finals frustration on AJaKe's butthole.

lol

Apparently people feel really strongly about this. I just didn't know if I should have said something or not - geez, people.

It's your FRIEND.

Even if this is a 30 person section, 1 person having an unfair advantage such as 30 extra minutes probably won't fucking ruin your curve.

You're really pathetic if you actually consider turning in a friend over this.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:24 pm

Since when was it a "serious issue" to believe in justice? The guilty deserve to be punished, unless of course they are clients.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:25 pm

TCR is blackmail.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”