Missed last page of exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thwalls

Bronze

Missed last page of exam

Post by thwalls » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm going to preface this by saying that what happened on my exam was certainly my fault, but I still feel the need to vent.

IP law exam. Two questions, the first was 65% and the second was 35% of the total score. Spent too much time on the first question (3 hours). Started on the second question, 2 page fact pattern, and at the bottom of the page it read, essentially, Advise _____ party. It was a trademark infringement question, so I assumed at that point that it was opened ended and I was explaining possible options to the client who also happened to be the priority user of the mark.

Ran out of time, and was hurriedly listing possible issues. Then with 20 seconds left, realized that there was a page that followed the fact pattern listing 4 individual questions. From what I know, I had to have hit some of the issues in those questions simply because in trademark law there are certain issues that have to be addressed regardless of the specific question (use in commerce, distinctiveness of the mark, etc.) So I think that I should get some points, but the question is: how bad will the damage be?

What do you think?

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Re: Missed last page of exam

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Enjoy your b+ bro.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:28 pm

thwalls wrote:I'm going to preface this by saying that what happened on my exam was certainly my fault, but I still feel the need to vent.

IP law exam. Two questions, the first was 65% and the second was 35% of the total score. Spent too much time on the first question (3 hours). Started on the second question, 2 page fact pattern, and at the bottom of the page it read, essentially, Advise _____ party. It was a trademark infringement question, so I assumed at that point that it was opened ended and I was explaining possible options to the client who also happened to be the priority user of the mark.

Ran out of time, and was hurriedly listing possible issues. Then with 20 seconds left, realized that there was a page that followed the fact pattern listing 4 individual questions. From what I know, I had to have hit some of the issues in those questions simply because in trademark law there are certain issues that have to be addressed regardless of the specific question (use in commerce, distinctiveness of the mark, etc.) So I think that I should get some points, but the question is: how bad will the damage be?

What do you think?
And this is why you really should follow the directions that say "look through the entire exam before you start." Really sorry - best of luck to you.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:28 pm

From what I just read I don't think the damage will be that bad. If you feel like you addressed the main issues you would have had to normally even without directed questions you at least hit on two of the four questions specifically asked of you. If anything, you may have even gone further than you needed to depending on how many issues you touched on. You didn't say much about the first part (worth 65%), but I really think you'll be fine. There's no telling what issue your professor wanted you to spot, and the only think I don't see going in your favor is that your professor will see that you didn't answer her/his questions. But at the end of it all, it's over, you can't do much about it now.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:31 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
thwalls wrote:I'm going to preface this by saying that what happened on my exam was certainly my fault, but I still feel the need to vent.

What do you think?
And this is why you really should follow the directions that say "look through the entire exam before you start." Really sorry - best of luck to you.
And this why I love TLS. No matter how bad you feel the people here can always make you feel just a little bit worse. As stars burn, at least you killed the first (more important part of the exam). I hope it turns out well for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:35 pm

For what it's worth, it probably isn't going to kill you. It seems like the four questions were basically there to help guide your "advise the client" answer. (Because "explain all claims and defenses" kind of questions are seen as brutal.) If that's all the four questions were, you'll lose style points - and those differentiate between the A+s and As, As and A-s, etc., but it's not going to cost you a whole letter grade or anything.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:49 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

What do you think?
And this why I love TLS. No matter how bad you feel the people here can always make you feel just a little bit worse. As stars burn, at least you killed the first (more important part of the exam). I hope it turns out well for you.
I think you mean thwalls. I do not need to worry about failing another exam, thank you.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:40 pm

Could happen to anyone. Try not to dwell on it, you're a 2L or a 3L if you're taking an IP course in the fall so it really won't matter much even if you're looking for jobs or clerkships later. A tiny portion of one exam of many is just a drop in the bucket.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:43 pm

b+ at best. sorry pal, sucks. also, after u get ur grade maybe go talk w/prof

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:03 pm

as stars burn wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

What do you think?
I think you mean thwalls. I do not need to worry about failing another exam, thank you.
lol yeah i just finished an admin exam. my brain is fried.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:07 pm

If you're taking IP that means you're at least a 2L. In the grand scheme of things, a bad grade during 2L or later really isn't that big of a deal. And that's assuming that you didn't do well; like people have said, you may still get a decent grade.

burtonrideclub

Bronze

Post by burtonrideclub » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:16 pm

I did the exact same thing on one of my finals this round. I actually probably ended up answering some of the questions on the next page in my rambling, but it still pisses me off so much. Best I can hope for is probably a B. I emailed our SAO right after because I was devastated, and he went and talked it over with the teacher and it sounds like he might try to accommodate me somewhat. I know I don't deserve it, it was my own damn fault.

You might want to try and do the same.

burtonrideclub

Bronze

Post by burtonrideclub » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:18 pm

Also, its worth emailing now rather than waiting to see your grade. Not much they can do once the prof has graded all the exams.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:42 pm

burtonrideclub wrote:Also, its worth emailing now rather than waiting to see your grade. Not much they can do once the prof has graded all the exams.
See, at my school if someone did that it would completely blow their anonymity and that person who e-mailed would have violated the honor code at my school. All our exams are supposedly graded anonymously so just make sure you're not before doing this.

thwalls

Bronze

Post by thwalls » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:11 pm

as stars burn wrote:
burtonrideclub wrote:Also, its worth emailing now rather than waiting to see your grade. Not much they can do once the prof has graded all the exams.
See, at my school if someone did that it would completely blow their anonymity and that person who e-mailed would have violated the honor code at my school. All our exams are supposedly graded anonymously so just make sure you're not before doing this.
I think what I would probably do is contact the associate dean and she would be the go between, I think if I gave her my exam number there wouldn't be an anonymity issue. However, I'm on the fence about saying anything because it was my fault for missing the page, and I shouldn't deserve any special treatment for my own mistake.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:24 pm

burtonrideclub wrote:I did the exact same thing on one of my finals this round. I actually probably ended up answering some of the questions on the next page in my rambling, but it still pisses me off so much. Best I can hope for is probably a B. I emailed our SAO right after because I was devastated, and he went and talked it over with the teacher and it sounds like he might try to accommodate me somewhat. I know I don't deserve it, it was my own damn fault.

I suspect they told you that to make you feel better. I cannot possibly imagine in what world a professor would think it would be fair to grade your exam more leniently than other students who either did read the whole exam, or didn't and just didn't beg.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Renzo wrote:
burtonrideclub wrote:I did the exact same thing on one of my finals this round. I actually probably ended up answering some of the questions on the next page in my rambling, but it still pisses me off so much. Best I can hope for is probably a B. I emailed our SAO right after because I was devastated, and he went and talked it over with the teacher and it sounds like he might try to accommodate me somewhat. I know I don't deserve it, it was my own damn fault.

I suspect they told you that to make you feel better. I cannot possibly imagine in what world a professor would think it would be fair to grade your exam more leniently than other students who either did read the whole exam, or didn't and just didn't beg.
But mean 'ol Rezno, what if the OP is a special little snowflake!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thwalls

Bronze

Post by thwalls » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:15 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Renzo wrote:

But mean 'ol Rezno, what if the OP is a special little snowflake!
"I think what I would probably do is contact the associate dean and she would be the go between, I think if I gave her my exam number there wouldn't be an anonymity issue. However, I'm on the fence about saying anything because it was my fault for missing the page, and I shouldn't deserve any special treatment for my own mistake."

Read everything before answering. Don't be like me.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:05 pm

thwalls wrote:
Read everything before answering. Don't be like me.
Well played, sir.

thwalls

Bronze

Post by thwalls » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:32 pm

Update:

Just received my grade on the exam...B-.

I was hoping for a B, but it looks like the rest of the class did better than I expected on the last question. Either way. Answering a fact pattern without knowing the call of the question and still ending up with a B- is a decent save in my book. Thank god I got A/A-'s in my other classes to balance this disaster out.

Note to self: Do not just count the pages prior to starting, but remark upon all the questions on all the pages prior starting the exam.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”