1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JoeFish

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby JoeFish » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:31 pm

I've pretty much closed the book on any even extremely remote inklings of transferring I ever had. I mean... well, my school's about to plunge in the rankings. But I absolutely love it there. And, like ali, I just can't justify taking on the absurd amount of extra debt when my employment chances would only marginally improve (that is to say, based on my grades now, I'll have a good shot at a good job in Chicago anyway). I know some of my classmates are considering lateraling because of the rankings change and moral outrage or something. But as I said... it's working for me where I am. Hell, I'm the only person I know who likes the aesthetic style of the law building.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:46 pm

Another A in Contracts!! Brings me to 2 As, and a B+ with Torts and LRW to go. Exactly the grades I've expected so far. Torts should be out soon but ugh, don't know where my LRW grade is.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:49 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
alicrimson wrote:Is anyone considering transferring who got their grades? I love the school I'm at and hadn't really entertained the idea of transferring until a friend of mine brought it up. I know Chicago takes first semester information but I'm not sure I can take on that kind of debt. Anyone else thinking of jumping on another school's train? (yes, that was ridiculous...i'm aware)

If I'm still in the top 5 or 10% after actually having more than 1 grade there's a decent chance I will. Don't know if I'll do the Chicago thing though, more interested in CN+P+D, and of course HYS, but who am I kidding. I'm a pretty shitty interviewer, and some people from last year's OCI thread recommended transferring up if you are.

You're at Fordham right? I remember reading in some thread that there were a few students in the top 25% of Fordham's 2011 class that were no-offered, but I can't imagine that a transfer to those schools is really in that much of a greater position than top 5/10% at Fordham (at least as far as NYC biglawl is concerned).

Yeah. Seems like things are getting even better, a 2L said most people above top third managed to snag at least one offer.
Idk though, don't want to speculate too much since we don't have all our grades. But I'd definitely consider it if it's an option, I'm already going almost at sticker (7.5k scholarship), and the things I want to do have more prestige emphasis.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:54 pm

I just looked at Boalt's website to get an idea of what it would be like to transfer there, and the idea of writing personal statements, getting recommendations, and filling out applications makes me want to die.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:00 pm

ilovesf wrote:I just looked at Boalt's website to get an idea of what it would be like to transfer there, and the idea of writing personal statements, getting recommendations, and filling out applications makes me want to die.

seriously.

we have a couple months, at least, before we have to do that stuff if we want to try to transfer. i think i'll ask for recommendations next month.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:20 pm

LeDick wrote:Another A in Contracts!! Brings me to 2 As, and a B+ with Torts and LRW to go. Exactly the grades I've expected so far. Torts should be out soon but ugh, don't know where my LRW grade is.

Pretty thickheaded to expect anything other than median IMO. But good job.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Am I the only one who just cannot muster up motivation to do any semblance of work so far in this new semester? I felt like after having that time off, my brain went to mush and now I just have no willpower to read. I sit here with this 2000 pages ConLaw book in front of me while I devise ways to get out of reading it... I so don't want to be in classes again.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:47 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
LeDick wrote:Another A in Contracts!! Brings me to 2 As, and a B+ with Torts and LRW to go. Exactly the grades I've expected so far. Torts should be out soon but ugh, don't know where my LRW grade is.

Pretty thickheaded to expect anything other than median IMO. But good job.

Fair enough, I guess I didn't really expect A's, but those were the exams I felt good when I left the room. The B+ I didn't feel very good when I left the room. I'm fairly happy that I did well on the exams I felt good about, and median on the exam I didn't feel good about. B+ is our median.

Good to see you understand my username tho.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:47 pm

crossarmant wrote:Am I the only one who just cannot muster up motivation to do any semblance of work so far in this new semester? I felt like after having that time off, my brain went to mush and now I just have no willpower to read. I sit here with this 2000 pages ConLaw book in front of me while I devise ways to get out of reading it... I so don't want to be in classes again.

this is me in about a week...God help me.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:56 pm

crossarmant wrote:Am I the only one who just cannot muster up motivation to do any semblance of work so far in this new semester? I felt like after having that time off, my brain went to mush and now I just have no willpower to read. I sit here with this 2000 pages ConLaw book in front of me while I devise ways to get out of reading it... I so don't want to be in classes again.

I'm right there with you.. I've had 4 classes so far second semester and haven't cracked a book for any of them. one is year-long civ pro and i somehow have to find a way to learn half a semester's material that i didnt pay attention to first semester while still staying afloat in my other classes.. we just got to international shoe and ive been home for 6 hours and have read the first 2 paragraphs

i havent gotten grades back yet but feel like the only way ill be able to will myself through this semester is if i killed it first semester.. if im median or below i cant see myself putting in much effort for this semester

tl;dr - im right there with you and cant seem to concentrate at all

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:57 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:

this is me in about a week...God help me.

+1

It's killing me just to do some copy and paste cover letters

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:57 pm

I think I heard about ten words my con law professor said today. So not ready to be back.

alicrimson wrote:Is anyone considering transferring who got their grades? I love the school I'm at and hadn't really entertained the idea of transferring until a friend of mine brought it up. I know Chicago takes first semester information but I'm not sure I can take on that kind of debt. Anyone else thinking of jumping on another school's train? (yes, that was ridiculous...i'm aware)

I don't have grades, but I would only consider transferring to Harvard just because I don't want to pick up and move. Given I have a higher likelihood of winning the lottery, I haven't put too much thought into it.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:58 pm

ilovesf wrote:

I love it at Hastings and I definitely want to stay in SF after graduation, so I don't know if it makes any sense for me to transfer. I think I'm going to send an app to Boalt, but I'm not sure if I should transfer even if I got in.

We are in very different positions but I plan on sending out transfer applications. I love Hastings but the potential advantages are incredible compared the small amount of time it takes to complete the applications.

Are you looking at Harvard? With your grades you have a shot at YHS and a very good shot at CCN. If you are accepted to any of these schools Hastings would probably match it with a full tuition scholarship.

Boalt will be happy to accept you.

Edit: Boalt will probably be the highest ranked T14 I apply to. I still haven't figured out which schools to file applications. I'll probably apply to 4-5 in two geographic regions.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:01 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:

I'm right there with you.. I've had 4 classes so far second semester and haven't cracked a book for any of them. one is year-long civ pro and i somehow have to find a way to learn half a semester's material that i didnt pay attention to first semester while still staying afloat in my other classes.. we just got to international shoe and ive been home for 6 hours and have read the first 2 paragraphs

i havent gotten grades back yet but feel like the only way ill be able to will myself through this semester is if i killed it first semester.. if im median or below i cant see myself putting in much effort for this semester

You went an entire semester in Civ Pro without covering Int. Shoe?!?!?!?!?!?!

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:02 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:

I hear you on Civ Pro... I couldn't tell you one thing we learned last semester. This semester is going to be rough.

You still have a good chance to improve even if you're around median- first semester was only 12 credits, this one is 21. Way more impact on your GPA. We're halfway through the marathon.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

You went an entire semester in Civ Pro without covering Int. Shoe?!?!?!?!?!?!

yeah.. the prof purposely loads all the most important stuff into the second semester because he knows we all are focused on the classes we actually have tests in for the first semester.. so thats nice at least.. but yeah we just started personal jurisdiction yesterday with pennoyer and now are moving into shoe

still.. he'll throw somethin on there from first semester that he mentioned in class that ill be totally lost on for sure haha

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:07 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

I hear you on Civ Pro... I couldn't tell you one thing we learned last semester. This semester is going to be rough.

You still have a good chance to improve even if you're around median- first semester was only 12 credits, this one is 21. Way more impact on your GPA. We're halfway through the marathon.

im just glad someone agrees with me on it.. i joked about it to some kid in class today and he said "i dunno i kinda like civ pro because..." then i didnt catch anything else because that boggled my mind

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:09 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

im just glad someone agrees with me on it.. i joked about it to some kid in class today and he said "i dunno i kinda like civ pro because..." then i didnt catch anything else because that boggled my mind

You go to school with Eugenie Danglars?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:11 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
yeah.. the prof purposely loads all the most important stuff into the second semester because he knows we all are focused on the classes we actually have tests in for the first semester.. so thats nice at least.. but yeah we just started personal jurisdiction yesterday with pennoyer and now are moving into shoe

still.. he'll throw somethin on there from first semester that he mentioned in class that ill be totally lost on for sure haha

You have a year-long civ pro course, but only spend one day in Pennoyer and then onto Intl. Shoe? That's quite interesting.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

You have a year-long civ pro course, but only spend one day in Pennoyer and then onto Intl. Shoe? That's quite interesting.

yeah im not sure what he's doing to be honest.. then again i havent looked at the syllabus either so who knows.. but he said today we'd spend the next three or four weeks on personal jurisdiction so I'd imagine it will come up again

edit: also, just decided im going to drive to suffolk tm with a boombox and see if glannon will help me with it

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

To be fair Pennoyer is pretty pointless, but I just can't imagine what BlueD did all first semester.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:20 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

yeah im not sure what he's doing to be honest.. then again i havent looked at the syllabus either so who knows.. but he said today we'd spend the next three or four weeks on personal jurisdiction so I'd imagine it will come up again

edit: also, just decided im going to drive to northeastern tm with a boombox and see if glannon will help me with it

Haha, did you go to his Torts lecture? It was actually really helpful. Hopefully he'll come do one for Civ Pro.

We're not starting personal jurisdiction until next Wednesday. I got so freaked out on here last semester because even with everyone talking about Civ Pro, no one never mentioned anything we covered with the exception of Twombly/Iqbal.

People told me last semester that they liked Civ Pro... I couldn't understand it. Our professor is really intimidating and really does nothing to make the subject remotely interesting.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:25 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

To be fair Pennoyer is pretty pointless, but I just can't imagine what BlueD did all first semester.

According to my syllabus we went over what looks like around 175 pages dealing with pleadings, talked about the due process clause for what seemed like 4 weeks, then permissive joinder, counter-claims and cross claims, third party practice, and something dealing with notice.. honestly have no idea what any of these deal with though.. def need to get myself to office hours and see when this dude plans on releasing practice exams

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:28 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

edit: also, just decided im going to drive to northeastern tm with a boombox and see if glannon will help me with it

Haha, did you go to his Torts lecture? It was actually really helpful. Hopefully he'll come do one for Civ Pro.

We're not starting personal jurisdiction until next Wednesday. I got so freaked out on here last semester because even with everyone talking about Civ Pro, no one never mentioned anything we covered with the exception of Twombly/Iqbal.

People told me last semester that they liked Civ Pro... I couldn't understand it. Our professor is really intimidating and really does nothing to make the subject remotely interesting.

yeah i went to that.. was a little disappointed with it though just because the lecture was just the last like 2 chapters of what is already in the E and E that he wrote but it was still helpful

and yeah we did twiqbal also.. but i cant even remember what they deal with right now haha.. got some review to do i guess

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:29 pm

this is me... and im still applying for summer interships and part of me wants to start exploring alternative careers in the event that this semester doesnt pan out ( or the grades im waiting on and most worrie about are bad). really dont want to be back in the swing of it

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”