1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Flips88

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Jessuf wrote:My grades are due to the registrar on Wednesday but still nothing has popped up. Sad to see people from other sections talking about grades on facebook and bragging about getting the highest grade in the class.

What a doucher.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Ive gotten 2 grades back. I thought I killed them. This was not the case. Waiting on two more than could possibly be C's. Thinking about going out in a hot ball of flaming fuckheadedness and dropping out before I get the other two.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:22 pm

ilovesf wrote:I never even read LEEWS or GTM, how do you even do this in an exam? I thought GTM was about preparing for law school?

i think structure was the key take away from leews for me. most of my exams looked like outlines with some "analysis" there and lots of bolded and italicized words followed by a shit load of rambling about every possible outcome (gtm).

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:24 pm

ilovesf wrote:Hey :) I didn't know you were lurking here.. Congrats on your grades! I don't know anyone yet that got an A in property. I don't actually know anyone's grades, but at least like four people told me it was their worst grade this semester and they were pissed about that class. Anyway, I have no idea about immigration.. we don't even have books assigned yet and it is tomorrow, haha. How'd you like our new profs? I really liked them today so far, Diamond is kind of crazy.. but in a good way.

You have a GPA many of our classmates would kill for (literally!) Your performance is a testament to serious test taking skills. That's shouldn't be too hard to carry over into the next semester.

I like the new professors. Diamond is crazy brilliant. I was afraid he would interrogate Jodie for the entire session :lol: Knapp seems very nice. Somewhat boring, but nice. Lee is a good substitute teacher.

I'm glad the waiting game is over. The biggest problem is I can't talk to anyone about grades. I did well, but not great, and I still feel like a failed. The other ~3/4ths of the students who did worse than me are probably feeling even worse. Even the students who did amazing (YOU) have to work your ass off to maintain that GPA.

At least the utter uncertainty of the first semester is over. Not knowing if I was going to end up top 10% or bottom 10% was tearing me apart.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:26 pm

thesteelers wrote:For all the people who got As...how did you feel about those exams when you 1) had just finished them, and 2) thought about them over break?

Did you miss stuff that other people were talking about? Did you miss any glaring issues? Did you hit an insane word count or was it closer to the class average? Did you follow IRAC?

Sorry for the questions, I'm extremely jittery right now. Got some grade requests from firms, which should be something to look forward to, but it almost makes me want to cry because I have no idea how I did and I'm increasingly afraid that I got Cs. :(

I thought I bombed one, thought I did okay on another, and thought I did good on the last one. I felt this way immediately after the exams up until I received my grades. I ended up with an A on all of them.

I didn't talk to anyone, so I didn't know if I missed anything, except for a few issues which I thought of afterwards. I had a pretty high word count. I tried to follow IRAC, but I know I got off track at times.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:31 pm

ilovesf wrote:I never even read LEEWS or GTM, how do you even do this in an exam? I thought GTM was about preparing for law school?

Haven't read LEEWS, but GTM is pretty much entirely about exam taking, not as much preparing for LS

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:35 pm

NYC Law wrote:

Haven't read LEEWS, but GTM is pretty much entirely about exam taking, not as much preparing for LS

GTM is about the philosophy of law school exam taking. A lot of people don't seem to get that if there's an ambiguous point you ADDRESS IT AND ALL POSSIBLE OUTCOMES, not just point it out, and certainly not just ignore the point.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:38 pm

Flips88 wrote:Our grades are due at midnight tonight. I'll spend the rest of today preparing my anus.

I wish that corresponded to the release point...any sense on the lag between when profs turn them in and when we get them? I'm betting Thurs.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:40 pm

D'Angelo wrote:So the trend is apparently everybody gets Bs in LRW.

To buck the trend, I get my memo back today - 93% raw score, probably set the curve. I won't get a final grade in LRW until May but I feel pretty good about this. On the other hand, if things remain unchanged, I will probably end up with a C+ in torts and contracts.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:41 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
D'Angelo wrote:So the trend is apparently everybody gets Bs in LRW.

To buck the trend, I get my memo back today - 93% raw score, probably set the curve. I won't get a final grade in LRW until May but I feel pretty good about this. On the other hand, if things remain unchanged, I will probably end up with a C+ in torts and contracts.

So basically, inverse correlation between LRW and other grades. Odd.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:44 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Our grades are due at midnight tonight. I'll spend the rest of today preparing my anus.

I wish that corresponded to the release point...any sense on the lag between when profs turn them in and when we get them? I'm betting Thurs.

Yeah I'd bet Wednesday at the earliest. Thursday and Friday more likely

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:14 pm

Final takeaway of law school: Never, ever, ever, ever believe your LRW prof. when he/she says they think you are one of the best writers they've seen in the class. It means absolutely nothing. If anything, compliments from any prof. are probably a ploy to psyche you out so you fail because they secretly don't like you. Prof. gave me nothing but praise on my memo (even in front of the whole freakin class), saying I was an awesome writer every chance they got, and even affirmed that I wrote it like they would. End result? Medianpwned.

No matter how well you do it (follow all parts of memo down to a T tailored to prof's individual style) someone will always do it better than you. LRW is a substantive class at my school so I'm pretty not so happy. Really curious as to who rocked this class and how, because they're probably Oliver Wendell Holmes or something.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:32 pm

adonai wrote:Final takeaway of law school: Never, ever, ever, ever believe your LRW prof. when he/she says they think you are one of the best writers they've seen in the class. It means absolutely nothing. If anything, compliments from any prof. are probably a ploy to psyche you out so you fail because they secretly don't like you. Prof. gave me nothing but praise on my memo (even in front of the whole freakin class), saying I was an awesome writer every chance they got, and even affirmed that I wrote it like they would. End result? Medianpwned.

No matter how well you do it (follow all parts of memo down to a T tailored to prof's individual style) someone will always do it better than you. LRW is a substantive class at my school so I'm pretty not so happy. Really curious as to who rocked this class and how, because they're probably Oliver Wendell Holmes or something.

TL;DR: Fuck LRW. Hard.

brickman

Postby brickman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:33 pm

preparing to invalidate 2nd semester tuition check upon receipt of 1st semester grades...

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:37 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
adonai wrote:Final takeaway of law school: Never, ever, ever, ever believe your LRW prof. when he/she says they think you are one of the best writers they've seen in the class. It means absolutely nothing. If anything, compliments from any prof. are probably a ploy to psyche you out so you fail because they secretly don't like you. Prof. gave me nothing but praise on my memo (even in front of the whole freakin class), saying I was an awesome writer every chance they got, and even affirmed that I wrote it like they would. End result? Medianpwned.

Or this.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:37 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

I...like...my LRW. There I said it

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:40 pm

Flips88 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

come at me bro

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:44 pm

Ours is graded as well. I pulled out an A- which would have been higher had I not completely misread the fact pattern and turned in a (graded) draft that was not entirely accurate. My fault. I also lost points on my Property exam for writing past the margins in my blue book. :evil: My fault, again. I got an A but if I could have booked the class had I not done that I'm gonna be pretty upset. I'm just so careless sometimes!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:54 pm

Flips88 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

From what I hear, I like everyone but mine...

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:01 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:Ours is graded as well. I pulled out an A- which would have been higher had I not completely misread the fact pattern and turned in a (graded) draft that was not entirely accurate. My fault. I also lost points on my Property exam for writing past the margins in my blue book. :evil: My fault, again. I got an A but if I could have booked the class had I not done that I'm gonna be pretty upset. I'm just so careless sometimes!

Sorry about failing your classes.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:17 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:Ours is graded as well. I pulled out an A- which would have been higher had I not completely misread the fact pattern and turned in a (graded) draft that was not entirely accurate. My fault. I also lost points on my Property exam for writing past the margins in my blue book. :evil: My fault, again. I got an A but if I could have booked the class had I not done that I'm gonna be pretty upset. I'm just so careless sometimes!

Sucks to be you.

[You're starting to sound like a douche]

RudyBaylor

Postby RudyBaylor » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:21 pm

Anyone else experience a huge grade swing? A's on Contracts and Torts, C+ on Crim. Preped the same, and walked out of the exams feeling the same for all three. Wondering if it's worth seeing the Prof.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:23 pm

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:24 pm

RudyBaylor wrote:Anyone else experience a huge grade swing? A's on Contracts and Torts, C+ on Crim. Preped the same, and walked out of the exams feeling the same for all three. Wondering if it's worth seeing the Prof.

Ugh don't tell me this. My wait for Crim/Torts just got a lot worse.
Sorry to hear that though. :(

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 pm

RudyBaylor wrote:Anyone else experience a huge grade swing? A's on Contracts and Torts, C+ on Crim. Preped the same, and walked out of the exams feeling the same for all three. Wondering if it's worth seeing the Prof.

Hoping this is about to happen to me.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”