1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BlueDiamond

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby BlueDiamond » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:24 pm

so class starts tomorrow and i havent gotten any grades back yet.. have 11 pages assigned to read in my one and only class.. its been 6 hours and ive been able to get through 4 pages.. people keep saying the motivation will come back after finals exhaustion but when exactly does that happen because right now id accept a C if my professor agreed to it in exchange for me not having to ever attend class or take the exam

picklebarrel

Postby picklebarrel » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:42 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:so class starts tomorrow and i havent gotten any grades back yet.. have 11 pages assigned to read in my one and only class.. its been 6 hours and ive been able to get through 4 pages.. people keep saying the motivation will come back after finals exhaustion but when exactly does that happen because right now id accept a C if my professor agreed to it in exchange for me not having to ever attend class or take the exam

I'm having the same problem. Only got two grades back, but I'm still waiting on the one I'm most worried about. Every time I try to read I start thinking about the exam and get nothing done.

Benchslapme

Postby Benchslapme » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:38 pm

Hannibal wrote:
akili wrote:I only have LRW back and it's about what I expected (not good).

Now I'm just hoping the rest of my grades are good enough to balance that out. Ugh.

lol section C

If it helps, I know three people who have grades putting them in the top quarter (two in Section B, so they're totally done), all of them got Bs in legal writing.

Section C here too, Neither I nor My friend did well well for LRW. I am hoping the next three grades can compensate for that shitty grade

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:57 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:so class starts tomorrow and i havent gotten any grades back yet.. have 11 pages assigned to read in my one and only class.. its been 6 hours and ive been able to get through 4 pages.. people keep saying the motivation will come back after finals exhaustion but when exactly does that happen because right now id accept a C if my professor agreed to it in exchange for me not having to ever attend class or take the exam

Same no grades boat. I finished my reading but it was rough. I just want to know if my system worked or if it needs a face lift. I'm really hoping the grades get posted soon. Classes in other sections have distributions and model answers but no grades. I would certainly take that over this blasted mystery box. lol. Though, knowing myself, if I saw there were 3 Cs I'd probably convice myself that I was definitely one of them....but I like to over-analyze and think in worst case scenarios.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:07 pm

ilovesf wrote:I've only kind of talked to one person about grades so far. He's my best friend at school and we were gchatting when grades came up online, so it was pretty natural of us to talk about them. I talked about whether I was happy/disappointed, and he then told me he got a B in one class and that he thought he'd be around median or a little lower. I wouldn't have had a problem telling him my grades, but I felt kind of awkward because I didn't really know how to respond with how I did without making him feel shitty about his performance. Instead I just gave words of encouragement, advice, etc, and tried to talk about something else. I hate how law school is making me super awkward.

My grades suck. I hope my dudes did well. Theres just no good way for them to tell me how much better than me they are, not that Id care. They dont know that tho..

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Grades are due to the registrar tomorrow so I am expecting them all to be posted within the week.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Xifeng wrote:Do you guys normally talk about grades?

One lucky/extremely talented sumbit in my class won't have to, because he CALI'd 4 of his 5 classes, including all 3 graded ones :shock: Luuuuuuckily he's in a different section...

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:06 pm

JoeFish wrote:

One lucky/extremely talented sumbit in my class won't have to, because he CALI'd 4 of his 5 classes, including all 3 graded ones :shock: Luuuuuuckily he's in a different section...

Yea, that was pretty ridiculous. Guess who is unlucky enough to be in his section...

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:21 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:
JoeFish wrote:

Yea, that was pretty ridiculous. Guess who is unlucky enough to be in his section...

Clearly he was talking about grades, then. Or did they post the CALI winners or something?

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:25 pm

The CALI winners for our school are actually listed on the CALI page. I'm not even back on campus yet so I haven't had a chance to talk to people about grades.

Although, as shown by me listing my grades earlier in this thread, I have no problem talking about grades. I probably won't bring it up with random people because I know others don't like talking about them, but if it comes up with friends I'm cool with talking about it.

smscat

Postby smscat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:39 pm

I never got the whole not talking about grades thing. I have always been totally honest about how I've done, and what schools I did and did not get into. Granted, I generally do well, but not always. I'd rather be up front and honest than pretend nothing is wrong and have people find out later I didn't do well or was trying to hide something from them - more embarrassing that way. I feel as though in law school it's a bit different because you are ranked against everybody, so I guess if I do poorly I won't want to broadcast it, but I'm curious to know how I did compared to others and what I missed so that I know how to do better.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:41 pm

smscat wrote:I never got the whole not talking about grades thing. I have always been totally honest about how I've done, and what schools I did and did not get into. Granted, I generally do well, but not always. I'd rather be up front and honest than pretend nothing is wrong and have people find out later I didn't do well or was trying to hide something from them - more embarrassing that way. I feel as though in law school it's a bit different because you are ranked against everybody, so I guess if I do poorly I won't want to broadcast it, but I'm curious to know how I did compared to others and what I missed so that I know how to do better.

There's a difference between answering the question about grades and directly (or indirectly) bringing the topic up or getting people to talk about it as a form of humblebragging. Figuring out how to do better is what talking to your professors is for. Based on your writing style and the bolded, you sound like you're just self-involved and want to make yourself feel good by comparing your performance to others.

HTH

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:46 pm

smscat wrote:I never got the whole not talking about grades thing. I have always been totally honest about how I've done, and what schools I did and did not get into. Granted, I generally do well, but not always. I'd rather be up front and honest than pretend nothing is wrong and have people find out later I didn't do well or was trying to hide something from them - more embarrassing that way. I feel as though in law school it's a bit different because you are ranked against everybody, so I guess if I do poorly I won't want to broadcast it, but I'm curious to know how I did compared to others and what I missed so that I know how to do better.

Why would people find out later or think you're hiding something from them? I just feel that there are only three scenarios that can come from sharing grades with your friends:

1. They did better than you. You feel like shit.
2. You did the same as your friend. You both feel okay.
3. You did better than your friend. You feel like a douche for talking about it.

I mean, if someone asks you how you did, you don't have to literally run in the opposite direction. But you can just say, "as I expected" or actually answer. I've heard that in order to figure out what you missed and figure out how to do better, it's best to go over your exam with the professor. Unless you intend to whip out exams and go over them with your sectionmates?

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:48 pm

I'll tell you guys what I got but I don't tell people at my school unless they ask. If they do I have no problem talking honestly about it, though.

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Maybe a dumb question, but what does it mean to CALI a class? Is it just the highest grade? Is it connected to CALI lessons?

smscat

Postby smscat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:57 pm

Haymarket wrote:

There's a difference between answering the question about grades and directly (or indirectly) bringing the topic up or getting people to talk about it as a form of humblebragging. Figuring out how to do better is what talking to your professors is for. Based on your writing style and the bolded, you sound like you're just self-involved and want to make yourself feel good by comparing your performance to others.

HTH

I said the bolded because I'm saying I generally don't have a lot to hide, but there have certainly been schools I wanted to get into that I didnt, especially when it came to law school, and times I have done bad on exams, and I was honest. I know a lot of people who won't say where they applied in case they didn't get in and then they don't and it becomes a big secret where they have to act like they've said the school they got into was the one they wanted all along when they'd been referring to it as a safety. Then everyone wonders what happened and it's clear they are upset. I always say how I did, good or bad, if asked. If I applied and didn't get in, I fully admitted it and said "oh well, it was a stretch." I don't know if comparing myself to others will make me feel good because I have no idea how I did - no grades yet. I still would want to know how others did and be honest even if I did poorly.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:00 pm

stewie27 wrote:Maybe a dumb question, but what does it mean to CALI a class? Is it just the highest grade? Is it connected to CALI lessons?

agroothuis wrote:Hi guys,

I work for CALI.

There's normally a good amount of confusion about CALI Awards, so feel free to let me know if you have questions.

Some facts to help clear up a few common misconceptions:

- The funniest thing I see year-after-year is the difference in perception of the awards between students at CALI Award and Non-CALI Award schools.

If you're at a school that doesn't give awards you, of course, assume that most schools don't give awards. Or you assume that the awards are the mark of a less reputable school than yours. But if you attend a school that does give CALI Awards, they're such a big part of the 1L experience that you assume every law student must know about them.

Truth is, it's about a 50/50 split across US law schools, and that list covers all tiers. So this confusion is understandable.

--LinkRemoved-- (sorry, it's at our old site).

- With 100+ schools giving awards for several years now, that means that most legal recruiters and hiring managers recognize CALI Awards. I don't blame you for stashing away the kinda cheesy certificate so it's never to be seen again. But in this market, leave your award - and the chance to differentiate yourself as the top performer in a class - off your resume at your own risk.

- The professor of each course chooses the winner(s) of the award based on whatever criteria he/she chooses, assuming the school doesn't have a standard for picking winners.

- The school reports the winners to us.

- Based on the list they give us, we print awards for the school to distribute and then list winners at the link above.

- The school or the individual student, however, has the option to hide their awards from the public, so not all awards are listed at the link.

Thanks for your interest and, again, any questions let me know.

Austin Groothuis
CALI
austin_at_cali_dot_org

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:01 pm

stewie27 wrote:Maybe a dumb question, but what does it mean to CALI a class? Is it just the highest grade? Is it connected to CALI lessons?

About half of all law schools have some sort of agreement with CALI where the professor reports who the single top scorer in the class is, and CALI publishes their name and the class on their website and gives them a special certificate. And in return CALI gets everyone in law school associating CALI with the highest scores. Our school is one of the only ones that's sent in the list for the fall semester already.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:06 pm

smscat wrote:I never got the whole not talking about grades thing. I have always been totally honest about how I've done, and what schools I did and did not get into.

Perhaps you've been honest about this, but I'm positive that most of my classmates have not been. Nearly everyone I met during orientation claimed they got into a "top 10" or "top 5" school, one girl even claimed to get into Harvard, and yet they chose to come here (T25) instead for the quality of the professors or whatever. Anyway, it seems that most people in law school lie about this sort of thing to psych you out or just to make themselves feel better. There's no reason to play their game.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:08 pm

smscat wrote:I never got the whole not talking about grades thing.

i cant remember the last time someone other than my mom even asked about my grades so to me, its weird as to why people care enough about what i got to even ask
Last edited by dreakol on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:10 pm

smscat wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

HTH

I said the bolded because I'm saying I generally don't have a lot to hide, but there have certainly been schools I wanted to get into that I didnt, especially when it came to law school, and times I have done bad on exams, and I was honest. I know a lot of people who won't say where they applied in case they didn't get in and then they don't and it becomes a big secret where they have to act like they've said the school they got into was the one they wanted all along when they'd been referring to it as a safety. Then everyone wonders what happened and it's clear they are upset. I always say how I did, good or bad, if asked. If I applied and didn't get in, I fully admitted it and said "oh well, it was a stretch." I don't know if comparing myself to others will make me feel good because I have no idea how I did - no grades yet. I still would want to know how others did and be honest even if I did poorly.

Awesome, bro. We're all impressed that you're secure enough to talk about your applications and grades. But being secure enough to tell people you got rejected at Harvard/got a B in Torts/have Asperger's doesn't mean that you have license to inquire to satisfy your curiosities about other people. It's rude and none of your business and reeks of just wanting to make yourself feel superior.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:15 pm

lol my school only has like 3 cali award recipients listed. I guess students are a lot more sensitive about this stuff being displayed publicly than I thought.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:16 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:I'll tell you guys what I got but I don't tell people at my school unless they ask. If they do I have no problem talking honestly about it, though.

I feel like this is fine, to the extent that there aren't a lot of people from your school around TLS and/or they don't know who you are.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:17 pm

Haymarket wrote:
AlexanderSupertramp wrote:I'll tell you guys what I got but I don't tell people at my school unless they ask. If they do I have no problem talking honestly about it, though.

I feel like this is fine, to the extent that there aren't a lot of people from your school around TLS and/or they don't know who you are.

oops

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:18 pm

D'Angelo wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

oops

I would have thought the latter would be your biggest/most recent regret.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”